U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,757,379 times

Advertisements

If you give your pet Chicken Jerky treats, some may cause your pet harm. Some brands have been recalled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,033,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If you give your pet Chicken Jerky treats, some may cause your pet harm. Some brands have been recalled.
This has been out there for a while. My dog loved Waggin Tail Chicken Jerky, which is made in China, but I switched to a US made brand when the warnings started coming out. I still bought him the Waggin Tail Ham and Duck treats as those were US made, but it seem like they've disappeared. Every retailing in my area has stopped carrying the entire line. I'm not sure if it was a recall or the bad press.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This has been out there for a while. My dog loved Waggin Tail Chicken Jerky, which is made in China, but I switched to a US made brand when the warnings started coming out. I still bought him the Waggin Tail Ham and Duck treats as those were US made, but it seem like they've disappeared. Every retailing in my area has stopped carrying the entire line. I'm not sure if it was a recall or the bad press.
I did a quick search, it looks like they did finally pull the Chinese jerky. Took them long enough. The reports of dogs dying have been coming in for over a year.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM

340 posts, read 682,907 times
Default Chicken Strips Danger

We were feeding our dogs chicken strips from Costco for some time before the big scare. Our new lab mix suddenly developed shaking episodes and started to act like he was very ill. Additionally we just put our Belgium to sleep after Christmas from mouth cancer and my German Shepherd now has bladder cancer. Costco still sells these things that are supposedly from the USA now I think but I would not trust in that. I have no PROOF that these treats have caused my pets to become terminally ill however is suspicious. All these treats that are freeze dried or dehydrated are processed somehow with most likely some type of chemical that can be accumulative. It is shameful that our FDA does not step up their investigating procedures to guarantee these items are safe for our pets. I would NEVER buy any pet food or treats from and of the discount food stores...especially one in particular. If that packaging shows made in USA carefully read all in info, still might contain nasty chemicals...you know like the crap that is in our food!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,900,650 times
They can be made in the USA, and the ingredients still sourced from China. Duck jerky is also made in China, and can be tainted as well.

My mom's beloved dog died under very questionable circumstances, and we suspect it was from chicken jerky.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,055,406 times
I lost 2 dogs, a Lab and a mutt to Waggin Train chicken jerky purchased at Walmart. I sent a sample in to the feds for testing and it came back full of melmine. Both died from renal failure which is what these treats cause. They don't die quick folks and it'll break your heart to see them suffer. Per data I receive via the internet, Waggin train chicken jerky is made by Purina. I'd be suspect of even their brand. My current girl is a German Short Hair Pointer and she gets zero chicken treats.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I lost 2 dogs, a Lab and a mutt to Waggin Train chicken jerky purchased at Walmart. I sent a sample in to the feds for testing and it came back full of melmine. Both died from renal failure which is what these treats cause. They don't die quick folks and it'll break your heart to see them suffer. Per data I receive via the internet, Waggin train chicken jerky is made by Purina. I'd be suspect of even their brand. My current girl is a German Short Hair Pointer and she gets zero chicken treats.
I was in Walmart yesterday and all of the Waggin Tail treats were gone. There was a big sign saying that Walmart has pulled the line and will not be carrying it anymore. I hope the company that was making this garbage pays big time. Killing dogs all to make a bigger profit margin. It doesn't surprise me that this crap comes from China. After all, companies there were not above putting poison in baby formula, I'm sure poisoning dog food is nothing to them.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
They can be made in the USA, and the ingredients still sourced from China. Duck jerky is also made in China, and can be tainted as well.

My mom's beloved dog died under very questionable circumstances, and we suspect it was from chicken jerky.
This is what worries me. I still buy Chicken jerky that is supposedly make in the USA, but how do you really know. I've cut down home many I give my dog though. One a day max, if that. I use to give him three or four.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM

22,716 posts, read 28,770,848 times
My dogs still get chicken treats, but it is fresh cooked chicken.

If you want something that you can just reach into the cupboard and hand them something, buy a box of graham crackers. That will be healthier than any commercial dog biscuit, the dogs will like it better, and you can get graham crackers baked in the USA, all human grade and USDA inspected ingredients.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,414,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My dogs still get chicken treats, but it is fresh cooked chicken.

If you want something that you can just reach into the cupboard and hand them something, buy a box of graham crackers. That will be healthier than any commercial dog biscuit, the dogs will like it better, and you can get graham crackers baked in the USA, all human grade and USDA inspected ingredients.
Yep......vanilla wafers work well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or