U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM

62 posts, read 152,857 times

Advertisements

I've been feeding my 6mo old english bulldog Eukanuba large breed 1-24 mos dry puppy food since he was 8 weeks old. Is this a good well balanced food for him and bulldogs in general?? He doesn't have any digestive problems and minimal gas, so it seems ok so far..... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM

857 posts, read 1,769,564 times
Well I would say ask the Vet BUT sadly vets don't know much about nutrition and will try to sell you Science Diet(don't buy it)

We just give our Bully a cup in the morning and a cup at night of quality dog food and with the eve meal, fresh chicken is added.

We got her as a rescue so no idea what a pup gets/Check the bag for how much(though some tell you too much.

Have fun with your Bully.Too bad but they age quickly.

P.S. I don't like Eueknuba because (not sure if they do it still )they did horrible animal testing on dogs.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM

17,879 posts, read 17,726,024 times
I'm really impressed with Merrick Puppy

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
look at the ingredients on the bag...

keep in mind your dog is a CARNIVORE (not obligate like a cat, they can have some fruits/veg ect but dont NEED ANY GRAIN)
keep in mind that bulldogs as a whol tend to be allergy dogs who dont do well with ANY grains (most will develop corn, soy and wheet allergies at soe point if they dont already exhibit them)
keep in mind that the more "filler" (grains) in a food the more poop your dog will produce (they cant digest them so they come out pretty uch in the same volume they go in)
keep in mind that "by product" (of any kind) is "the stuff they cant call meat" (in chicken this is beaks feet and feathers)

now take a lok at the ingredients on that bag of food...
#1 ingredient shoudl be an IDENTIIED MEAT or Meat meal (ie chicken, lamb meal, salmon, duck meal ect..) (meal is simply the meat after cooking and so you actually get MORE protein per lb with meal than with meat)

your food should not list CORN or SOY (and preferably Wheat) ANYWHERE on the label but especially within the first 5 ingredients. barely, whole grain rice, sweet potatoe ect are all better, but completly grain free is best.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

is a GREAT site for fogureing out what kind of ratingyour brand has...its completly independant not sponsored by ANY of the food maufacturors so everything IS rated fairly o the same scale.
personally i would feed 3 star or above...anything 1 or 2 star is pretty much all filler and no substance, some of the 3 star foods (like diamond naturals) are a good food on a budget, but if you can afford go 4-5 star whenever possible!!!

YES youll pay more for the bag, BUT the dog will eat alot less of it in the long run it costs me as much to feed all 3 of my dogs diamond naturals for a month as it would to feed them alpo, theyd need to eat MORE alpo to get the same nutritional benefits so id end up spending about the same...so id rather buy a better quality food...

Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM

22,521 posts, read 28,429,142 times
You won't kill him by feeding Eukanuba. It's better than the grocery store brands, but there is better food out there. Costco's Natures Domain is better food and costs about the same. Learn to read labels.

I buy a grain free with a lot of meat listed in the ingredients. Actually, I home cook, but I do feed some kibble. I've got Canadae fish flavor in the house right now and Wellness tends to be a good brand. I feed grain to my dogs, but I like to control what grain they are getting. Although the Wellness beef and barley seems to be just fine as a kibble, and rice in kibble is fine for the majority of dogs.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM

62 posts, read 152,857 times
Thanks a bunch for all your help! I'm going to Petsmart today and read labels and find a grain free food for him!!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 PM

437 posts, read 552,901 times
Grain free, chicken free, any "meal _____ " free, and a smaller kibble, as the larger ones bunch up in their wee esophagus and they will choke to death.

GRAIN FREE cannot be stressed enough, BUT....... your bullie may get diarrhea for a while, until he/she is adjusted to the new food. I am sorry, I didn't read through the responses, *seriously, sorry*, and the interesting thing is, my 3rd Bulldog loved Solid Gold Hundenflocken. (even though it is a larger kibble, I have never had a problem with ANY of my bullies). And NO runny poops. Lemme tell you, I was getting tired of wiping my dogs arse every time she walked into the house.

I mixed the Hundenflocken with a LAMB based, NOT CHICKEN, NOT FISH, high quality GRAIN FREE food, and *WAH LAH*!!!!!! No runny poops and ...... wait for it..... waaaiiit for it........

NO. GAS.

Huh.

*the heavens opened up, and all Bulldog owners rejoiced as one*

You're welcome and good night.

bullie~

Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Yes we have gone grain free.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM

437 posts, read 552,901 times
Rock on! What food did you decide on? How are the pup's poops? *sorry if this grosses anyone out, but it's a HUGE factor in how the dog is holding in essential nutrients*.

bullie~

OOPS, sorry.... it was Pontoon as the OP. abbara, what food do you feed your bullie?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Call of the Wild.
I like the ingredients.

No problem with poop.

Aren't Bullies great dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs