U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,961,801 times

Advertisements

So I just picked up our dog from the vet where I had her groomed. I specifically told them NO PERFUME and she comes back reeking of something which smells like men's deodorant. Why oh why do people want to perfume their pets...if I can smell it, she must be overwhelmed by it.

They're at lunch now but will be calling to complain in about an hour. Just venting for now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
OH, do I hear you.....

all of my dogs are short-haired, so just require periodic bathing.... I prefer just a "clean" scent ... no frou frou, no flowers, no coconut, etc. .... can be a challenge just finding that in the shampoo aisle .... I sniff each bottle before I buy anything....

Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,545,469 times
Our dog always smells like my husband's after shave. Nothing I can do about that unless I tell him to not kiss her goodbye before he goes to work.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,891,424 times
I used to have a sheltie that was allergic to EVERYTHING. I always left explicit instructions to NOT use any colognes, scented shampoos, whatever. One time they did, and I. HAD. A. FIT. i complained and had them re-bathe and dry her.

Let us know what happens with your complaint.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,961,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post

Let us know what happens with your complaint.
I called but since it was not the receptionist's fault (and she's very sweet), I was nice about it. Just told her to let the groomer know that he made my dog stink. Next time I will be very adamant when giving instructions...if they screw up again, I won't pay.

I could have demanded that they rebathe her but I don't want to put my dog through that. The scent is fading...gradually. 0:

Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM

22,516 posts, read 28,429,142 times
It's very difficult to buy any dog shampoo that is not scented. In order to get away from perfume, I mix my own dog shampoo and I find that the show horse shampoos are not bad.

But groomers are not going to spend those high prices on shampoo. They buy the gallon size concentrates because they use so much shampoo in their business. The gallon concentrates have a tendency to be cheaper quality shampoo and they are almost always heavily scented.

The majority of grooming clients like to have their dogs scented.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:32 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,707,191 times
I absolutely hate it too and considering how dogs sense of smell is so much more sensitive than a humans I can only imagine the dogs don't appreciate it much either!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,545,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I called but since it was not the receptionist's fault (and she's very sweet), I was nice about it. Just told her to let the groomer know that he made my dog stink. Next time I will be very adamant when giving instructions...if they screw up again, I won't pay.

I could have demanded that they rebathe her but I don't want to put my dog through that. The scent is fading...gradually. 0:
I always give our groomer written instructions. They get so busy and people can be very particular about what they want and don't want.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
I'm worried. My hound is very sensitive. The vet prescribed a medicated shampoo. She wants him shampooed once a week for the next 6 weeks. I thought I'd take him to a groomer---they can rinse him better, it's winter and they can dry him more quickly. Now I'm having second thoughts after reading this thread. I'm afraid they will screw up and use a different shampoo or put perfume on him afterwards.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM

22,516 posts, read 28,429,142 times
Hopes, are there any do-it-yourself dog grooming places in your area? They are great. Elevated tub, grooming tables, hair dryers, all in a heated room and you don't have to worry about slopping water around your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or