Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Pitcher Mark Buehrle's family will stay behind when he goes to Toronto because his dog Slater is not welcome there.

Outlawed pit bull will keep Mark Buehrle away from his family - ESPN Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Sad. Sick of racism.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
It should be a crime to riase these poor dogs,they are not domesticated and never will be.Too many people trust them and somebody gets hurt bad,usually a child.

Here is a video of Slater and Jamie Buehrle. The dog is just eating up these kids!

HSBC Summer Camp 8 14 12 - YouTube

Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,107,325 times
This is why it is important when someone is asking about owning a pitbull or another type of breed that has bans, including the ones that homeowner's policies don't cover be told about these possibilities. I don't think it is much of a secret to anyone that watches the news that pitbull and pretty much the rest of the bull terriers and mixes are sometimes banned from certain cities/counties and looks like provinces in Canada. At least, this will get the word out to those that might have a job where they move around the country or out of the country. We would have chosen to live across the border and husband would have commuted some but maybe had an apartment in Canada to stay when commuting just wasn't the best idea and that would have made trips to see one another easier. Owning any dog has it inconveniences and that is part of pet ownership. We once had the chance to move to England because my husband was offered a good job but at that time, the dogs would have had to gone for a few months into quarantine so we passed on that opportunity even though a friend offered to keep both the dogs and the guinea pig for the two years we would have been there.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
If the dog could be certified as a service dog, it may not matter. Of course this is another country we are talking about and the disability laws may differ. He would no longer be a "pet" but a service dog.

It's worth a try.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
If the dog could be certified as a service dog, it may not matter. Of course this is another country we are talking about and the disability laws may differ. He would no longer be a "pet" but a service dog.

It's worth a try.
As much as I think Pitt Bulls get a rough deal, I would never encourage someone to falsify (spelling) a certification. Number one, it is wrong and number 2, you have no idea what could happen if the person gets caught...Sorry, this is a really bad idea in my opinion..

Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As much as I think Pitt Bulls get a rough deal, I would never encourage someone to falsify (spelling) a certification. Number one, it is wrong and number 2, you have no idea what could happen if the person gets caught...Sorry, this is a really bad idea in my opinion..
Where in her relply did she say to falsify the certification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post

It's worth a try.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
It is rather sad, but surely he must have known about the restrictions placed on pitts when he brought it home. He doesn't have to leave his family, that's a choice he's made.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM

95 posts, read 219,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It is rather sad, but surely he must have known about the restrictions placed on pitts when he brought it home. He doesn't have to leave his family, that's a choice he's made.
He's had the dog since he was in Chicago with the Sox. Here it's legal to have pit bulls. When he went to Miami, he simply had to live in a different county, since they don't allow pit bulls there. He didn't expect to be traded to Toronto, where they don't allow pit bulls in the entire province. I admire him and his family for keeping the dog. And speaking as a Sox fan, we'd be happy to have him and Slater back any day!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
And also the choice to live apart during the season was made by the whole family. That was their preference over turning the dog over to somone else to take care of. So sad they were put in this situation because of ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs