U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,554,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You are saying two different things:

1) She knows how to let us know she needs to potty
2) She has accidents soon after she has been outside
I'm saying those two things because that's what is happening. That is the dilemma. And I think I explained pretty well why a crate won't work in this situation. I am not going to crate her every minute she isn't outside. She is a very athletic, high energy 10-month old puppy who can literally shake, rattle and roll any crate, wire or softsided, from one end of the room to the other.

I think K9Coach offered the best advice. She is always in my sights, or under my desk like right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM

12,397 posts, read 31,382,423 times
Maybe take her out 10 mins after you bring her in. How big is she? Maybe a litterbox would help....gives her a place she can go with out getting into trouble.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM

She's 50 pounds of puppy, and I kind of don't ever want her to think it's okay to potty in the house. I won't even have a cat because I don't want a litterbox to deal with.

I think we're dealing with an attitude, or excitement, or possibly marking where another dog has peed before. I remembered this morning that the first time we entered this house with our dogs, before the movers arrived, our guy Jimmy went into the basement and immediately lifted his leg and peed. First time he peed indoors since he was a puppy 8 years earlier! That boy would have exploded rather than potty in the house, so we chalked it up to some rogue scent from the previous owner's dog. But we've SteamVac'd it since then...which probably didn't eliminate all the scent. It's amazing how they can smell things years after the fact.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,832,769 times
You are right about the power of their sense of smell. My dog just found a dead mouse under a good foot and a half of snow in freezing weather!

It does sound like it may be the residual odors, especially if that is where she is choosing to go. I know you said you steam cleaned, but if the odor is in the surface under your carpet or the padding, there is nothing you can do from the top surface to get rid of it. You may have to rip it up to see what is underneath or keep her out of the area.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM

12,397 posts, read 31,382,423 times
Chenge carpet scrub the cement Kill smells.... Maybe some one had her in a basement at one point in her life so she thinks its ok. How does she do in rest of the home?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Chenge carpet scrub the cement Kill smells.... Maybe some one had her in a basement at one point in her life so she thinks its ok. How does she do in rest of the home?
I thought the same thing, that she had been kept in a basement with her litter and allowed to potty down there. She's good in the rest of the house, but once in a while, she squats in front of the fireplace and pees right in front of us. Always in the same spot, the spot treated with Nature's Miracle no-marking spray and cleaned almost to the rug backing. Then there are a few times she has peed by the door -- which obviously is OUR fault.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
You are right about the power of their sense of smell. My dog just found a dead mouse under a good foot and a half of snow in freezing weather!

It does sound like it may be the residual odors, especially if that is where she is choosing to go. I know you said you steam cleaned, but if the odor is in the surface under your carpet or the padding, there is nothing you can do from the top surface to get rid of it. You may have to rip it up to see what is underneath or keep her out of the area.
We'll opt for the second choice, keeping her out of the area. Just found out we have to excavate part of the front lawn to fix a water main crack, so there will be no carpet excavation in our future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or