Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I m proud to be considered an irresponsible parent. I fully plan on being an irresponsible grandparent too - at least by this definition.
As long as they don't get in the way of the dogs, I don't think anyone cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Interesting. I'm the dog owner with the Rottweilor that does not like kids. Since the dog park is fenced, it is the only place he is permitted to be off leash. I really resent having to restrict him because you can't read a warning sign or seem unable to control your children. Take them somewhere else.
That is my feeling, too.

In my large city there are literally hundreds of small neighborhood parks and school playgrounds and dozens of large parks that allow children to be "off leash". There are only three very small fenced in dog parks that allow dogs to be off leash.

Our dog is only 14 pounds so we do not take him to the dog parks as most of the dogs are much, much, much larger than him. I can't imagine a parent allowing a toddler or young child to be "running free" with the huge Black Labs, German Shepards, Pit Bulls, etc., etc. sharing that small space. There is a reason why they are called DOG parks and not TODDLER & CHILD parks.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM

328 posts, read 682,348 times
All those kids should be kept on a leash and not run wild around a dog park.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
As long as they don't get in the way of the dogs, I don't think anyone cares.
But when they do get in the way of the dogs and are bitten, the dog will be put down, and that is unfair. You would be annoyed if someone came and sat on the grass in the middle of your grandchildren's little league game, so keep small children away from the dog free play area.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
But when they do get in the way of the dogs and are bitten, the dog will be put down, and that is unfair. You would be annoyed if someone came and sat on the grass in the middle of your grandchildren's little league game, so keep small children away from the dog free play area.
That's basically what I said. How did you read it differently?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Interesting. I'm the dog owner with the Rottweilor (or some other large breed). Since the dog park is fenced, it is the only place he is permitted to run free with the other dogs and not to be on leash. I really resent having to restrict him because adults can't read a warning sign or seem unable to control their children.
If you dog has a propensity to attack children and cannot be controlled, he should be put down. Sooner or later he will get out, or pull the leash out of your hand and maul or kill a kid. In addition to simply being moarally reponsible, You can be prosecuted criminLly in some States. If he is that vicious while running free he will be more so on a leash. If you do not put him down, you need to keep him home inside and heavily sedated. We just went through this with a large dog that would suddenly attack people at random for not reason. Medication did not work and we could not take the risk he might one day jump a fence or find an open door or break a leash and serilusly injure someone. It is very sad. And fortunately vicious dogs are rare. However any dog with a propensity to attack children cannot be allowed in any public venue.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
Quote:
If you dog has a propensity to attack children and cannot be controlled, he should be put down. Sooner or later he will get out, or pull the leash out of your hand and maul or kill a kid. In addition to simply being moarally reponsible, You can be prosecuted criminLly in some States. If he is that vicious while running free he will be more so on a leash. If you do not put him down, you need to keep him home inside and heavily sedated. We just went through this with a large dog that would suddenly attack people at random for not reason. Medication did not work and we could not take the risk he might one day jump a fence or find an open door or break a leash and serilusly injure someone. It is very sad. And fortunately vicious dogs are rare. However any dog with a propensity to attack children cannot be allowed in any public venue.
I'm not sure if mm Mary implied that her dog is vicious though. If he is, then what you said is true. I think she was just talking about the freedom of taking her dog off the leash and not have to worry about small kids running around. This is the case with any bigger dog. Little kids can easily get knocked down if they are midst of running/playful dogs. Little kids, especially unsupervised, have tendencies to run into the middle of things.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Wow We have plenty of open areas where I walk my 100+ lb dogs (one at a time).I avoid the dog park. I am just amazed to read about kids running barefoot and coming up in dog's face. Some people are really lousy parents.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
If you dog has a propensity to attack children and cannot be controlled, he should be put down. Sooner or later he will get out, or pull the leash out of your hand and maul or kill a kid.
Where the heck did you come up with this? You're really stretching it here. No where did the poster imply that her dog has a "propensity to attack" or "cannot be controlled." It's more that there are parents who don't keep control of their feral children in the dog park where the dog has the right to be free and off-leash.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Where the heck did you come up with this? You're really stretching it here. No where did the poster imply that her dog has a "propensity to attack" or "cannot be controlled." It's more that there are parents who don't keep control of their feral children in the dog park where the dog has the right to be free and off-leash.
PLEASE You surely don't think it would be the children's fault!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs