U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
29,818 posts, read 16,513,141 times
Reputation: 22388

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My dogs and I frequent a local dog park and once again today there were quite a few kids running wild in the park and more distrubing then the fact they were running wild was the fact that several were barefoot. I have seen this many times there and wonder do parents not realize that their barefoot child may very well pick up a parasite at the dog park and some of them can be quite dangerous to humans?
Yes they could pick up a parasite any place but the odds go way up when at a dog park.

One barefoot girl of 4 or 5 yrs was also crawling around on her hands and knees or as she said "walking like a dog"and would go right up to where there were groups of dogs wrestling and playing rough and not once did I see her parent do anything to stop her. The kid could have been hurt and then of course the dogs would be blamed. A dog park is for dogs not kids.

If you are a parent of young children please take your kids to parks that are meant for humans to play not to dog parks. If you must bring a young child to a dog park keep them near you and do not let them run wild or crawl on the ground and please make sure they have shoes on. Your childs health and well being depend on you.
YUCK. My son's a teen-ager so this is a non-issue but I definitely wouldn't have let him run barefoot at the dog park!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM
 
452 posts, read 736,033 times
Reputation: 566
Call whomever owns the dog park and ask if a small child is bitten while the dogs play or get hurt who is liable for the small children running around......

As for the walking around with no shoes on go over and talk to another dog owner and start a very loud conversation about parasites or any other item that might get the parent to think. If this doesn't get them talk to the dog park owners about this also and let them know that there is a good chance of having a lawsuit for not posting the warnings.

In this day and age where McDonalds needs to post not to drink coffee when it first comes out because you might burn yourself things needs to spelled out to a lot of people because they do not think anything applies to them.

My sister was bit by a dog when walking our dog growing up my dad told her it was her own fault for not getting out of the way. Sounds harsh but she has never gotten bitten again and stays away when other dogs approach. (This was before lawsuits became an every day situation.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,391 posts, read 37,728,735 times
Reputation: 22529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you dog has a propensity to attack children and cannot be controlled, he should be put down. Sooner or later he will get out, or pull the leash out of your hand and maul or kill a kid. In addition to simply being moarally reponsible, You can be prosecuted criminLly in some States. If he is that vicious while running free he will be more so on a leash. If you do not put him down, you need to keep him home inside and heavily sedated. We just went through this with a large dog that would suddenly attack people at random for not reason. Medication did not work and we could not take the risk he might one day jump a fence or find an open door or break a leash and serilusly injure someone. It is very sad. And fortunately vicious dogs are rare. However any dog with a propensity to attack children cannot be allowed in any public venue.

Oh, please. If a dog bites a child after giving numerous warnings (which they almost always do) to "leave me alone" and the child ignores it and, more importantly, the child's PARENTS ignore it, or, worse, aren't paying attention because they DO think a dog park is a leash-free area for their kids (confusing their kids with dogs, maybe?), it's not the DOG's fault and the dog doesn't have a "propensity to bite"; it's just defending itself. The dog you are describing apparently was not an average dog and had serious issues, just like some people do.

By that reasoning, if a kid bites another kid after the kid who is bitten hits him with a stick or something similar, the kid doing the biting should be put down.

No, I don't take my dogs to dog parks (with 55 acres I essentially live in one); yes, I've had kids, and I know better than to blame the dog when a kid does something and suffers the consequences. Or to teach my kids that the universe revolves around them and the only thing the entire universe does, or should, care about is what they want and their well-being. That does the child a serious injustice and is basically abdicating the responsibility of parenting for the exact opposite. Unfortunately, WAY too many people don't think that or, more like, don't think at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
 
6,626 posts, read 4,574,433 times
Reputation: 13280
Our dog park prohibits children under 12. Of course, there are people who ignore this rule and get outraged when called on it. Just like it would be rude for me to take my dog to a child only park in violation of the rules, it is equally rude for people to bring young kids to our dog park. It endangers both the kids and the dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,982 posts, read 12,230,274 times
Reputation: 14815
I can't say I've ever seen kids messing with dogs at dog parks, and I've been to quite a few across the country. I have seen some terrible dog fights though, and people unable to control their dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Long Neck,De
4,792 posts, read 6,772,358 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I can't say I've ever seen kids messing with dogs at dog parks, and I've been to quite a few across the country. I have seen some terrible dog fights though, and people unable to control their dogs.
park.
Exactly why I won't take my dogs to the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM
 
1,226 posts, read 2,051,610 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When they step on a rusty nail, you take them to the Dr. and get them a shot. If they step in poo, you wash it off. If they crawl in poo, you do a lot of washing.
.
would you take you child to a demolition site where there are hundreds, maybe thousands of opportunities to encounter rusty nails, and let them walk barefoot? there is a difference between accidently encountering poop, and crawling around in an area that is covered in poop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I do not see a dog park as any more of a potty than any other outdoor place. Do dogs potty less when they are on a leash? .
really??, you are confused about this? A dog park is usually a very small fenced in area where a very large number of dogs go. So the exposure of poop per square foot is VERY high. The rest of the park is MUCH bigger in size, and there aren't as many dogs, so the exposure of poop per square foot is low. Just some common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
But when they do get in the way of the dogs and are bitten, the dog will be put down, and that is unfair. You would be annoyed if someone came and sat on the grass in the middle of your grandchildren's little league game, so keep small children away from the dog free play area.
I agree that its not really fair to the dogs, but way beyond that, its just really, really gross and dangerous for the child, what parent would think this a good idea??? YUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
26,466 posts, read 62,739,275 times
Reputation: 30301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
really??, you are confused about this? A dog park is usually a very small fenced in area where a very large number of dogs go. So the exposure of poop per square foot is VERY high. The rest of the park is MUCH bigger in size, and there aren't as many dogs, so the exposure of poop per square foot is low. Just some common sense.

I have never been to a dog park like this. Most I have seen are very large, one is a huge beach on the ocean. There is a smallish one in our current town, but it is always very clean. Usually there are not more than 4-5 dogs in the small parks I have visisted, maybe 20 in a big one (sometimes hundreds at the beach). At any of them, once in a while there might be a poop on the edges near the fence, but otherwise they were always well cleaned up. If someone did nto pick up the poo right away, other dog owners yelled at them. If you sw a wayward poop somone did not pick up, you just picked it up yourself. The sprinkled the grass a couple of times a day to keep is leaner too (not the beach, tides took care of that). We never had any trouble with having our kids in the dog park. They tangled with poo more often in our back yard.

If I saw a park all full of poo everywhere, I would not go near it. I would expect the City would just close it down.

I see do poo more often on public rights of way, medians, parks etc. Some people think open space is for them to let their dogs poo for somone else t pick up. IME dog park visitors tend to be dog lovers and more conscientious than the people who keep little yappy dogs in their house and only take them out to potty twice a day on a leash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
26,466 posts, read 62,739,275 times
Reputation: 30301
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, please. If a dog bites a child after giving numerous warnings (which they almost always do) to "leave me alone" and the child ignores it and, more importantly, the child's PARENTS ignore it, or, worse, aren't paying attention because they DO think a dog park is a leash-free area for their kids (confusing their kids with dogs, maybe?), it's not the DOG's fault and the dog doesn't have a "propensity to bite"; it's just defending itself. The dog you are describing apparently was not an average dog and had serious issues, just like some people do.

By that reasoning, if a kid bites another kid after the kid who is bitten hits him with a stick or something similar, the kid doing the biting should be put down.

No, I don't take my dogs to dog parks (with 55 acres I essentially live in one); yes, I've had kids, and I know better than to blame the dog when a kid does something and suffers the consequences. Or to teach my kids that the universe revolves around them and the only thing the entire universe does, or should, care about is what they want and their well-being. That does the child a serious injustice and is basically abdicating the responsibility of parenting for the exact opposite. Unfortunately, WAY too many people don't think that or, more like, don't think at all.
You are changing the parameter. That is not what we are discussing here. I am not talking about kids tormenting dogs. That is different than kids simply playing fetch with their dog at a park. However someone said what if the dog is a dog that does not like kids. If the dog does nto like kids, it shoudl not be outside, or at elast not out of a securly fenced yard. If a dog attacks a kid without provocation, it should probably be put down or at least kept away form people altogether. this thread siad people should keep their kids out of dog parks. I disagree. If they said people should not allow their kids to torment other people's dogs while at dog parks, I wholeheartedly agree, however i would not limit it to dog parks. But that is not related to whehter or not kids should be allowed into dog parks.

Can kids get knocked down by a big dog in a dog park - certainly. It happens, they can also get hit by a bicycle while walking aon a paved trail in a park or at the beach, however that does nt mean keep your kids locked up inside, it means you teach them to be careful and alert. If they are really small you hold their hand or put them on your head. However that has notghin to do wiht a dog park, it is just being out in publich where people are doing active things. There is nothing uniquely dangerous about a dog park. Dogs on leashes are more likely to fight than dogs off leashes. One of our dogs is that way. If on leash she will fight any other dog in range. All we need to do is let her go and she is fine with them. It is odd.

We have a dog that has issues with black people. Thus we keep him away from Black people unil we can get him soclaized (still looking for some volunteers, but we are having problems finding black people who want ot go near a snarling big dog and teach him that they are just people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 PM
 
16,025 posts, read 19,604,450 times
Reputation: 26195
I have to say. The reason a Dog park is designated "Dog" is to have it for dogs specifically. Common sense should prevail.
People who argue that their children should be allowed at dog parks to run around and play are simply not respectful of others. If the sign says no children under 12...that probably releases anyone of liability if a small child gets in the middle of a bunch of dogs. You might even argue that they are placing their child at risk...in my book neglect.
What a person exposes their child too in their own yard is their prerogative. In your own yard, if you are a reasonably responsible parent there are less unknown variables regarding risks to your child.
We have a very large dog park, something like a couple of acres. I have never seen children of any age, inside the fenced dog park. I have however seen children playing adjacent in the area outside on their playground equipment. I've also seen dogs being walked in that area on leashes and enjoying their family time among their owners. To me this is a much better plan and acknowledges the needs of both dogs, their owners and children to enjoy a measure of safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top