U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM

107 posts, read 147,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Congratulations! She looks like a doll baby!

Thanks all! She's going to be an adventure for sure! I'll keep ya'll posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Okay, so new things that we've discovered about Reese. She attacks the DVD player when you eject the DVD, she barks at the printer as well.

My husband and I both have been trying to break her of this so that she doesn't ruin the DVD player or printer. As we use these things, we've had her in our lap and told her "it's okay" and just petted her as it's being used. She knows when we're about to use either of the two (she knows the sound) and automatically goes to bark and growl. We've even started telling her "no" and she seems to calm down and just kind of whines and barks...but after a while she stops. I've never had this with any dog that I've owned so I'm kind of lost on what to do. If the things that I'm doing, aren't good enough do ya'll have any suggestions as to how to break her of barking and attacking the DVD player and printer?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM

12,400 posts, read 31,382,423 times
Well YOU Just Re-Enforced her behavour! NEVER tell a Dog Something is OK! You want her to stop say NO! Distract her with a toy or something.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,832,769 times
I agree with Katie. In her mind, she barked at the dvd, she stopped it from attacking you and you said it was ok. LOL. Sometimes you really need to use some crazy imagination to try to see things from their perspective.
Since you have control of both of these things, I would get ready with some great treats and eject that dvd. As soon as you see her getting ready to bark,distract her with a treat or toy. Do this over and over again. Then do the same with the printer. She will soon associate the strange noise/machine with something positive and not something to alarming.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well YOU Just Re-Enforced her behavour! NEVER tell a Dog Something is OK! You want her to stop say NO! Distract her with a toy or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I agree with Katie. In her mind, she barked at the dvd, she stopped it from attacking you and you said it was ok. LOL. Sometimes you really need to use some crazy imagination to try to see things from their perspective.
Since you have control of both of these things, I would get ready with some great treats and eject that dvd. As soon as you see her getting ready to bark,distract her with a treat or toy. Do this over and over again. Then do the same with the printer. She will soon associate the strange noise/machine with something positive and not something to alarming.
Thanks. See, as I said I've never had this behavior in a dog before, therefore I was ignorant on how to handle it. My husband and I are doing a big project today and will be using the printer frequently - he's at the printer now, and I'm distracting her with her toy. I will continue to do this and hope for a great outcome.

Thanks for the input!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,291,387 times
I just saw your updates and photos! What a beautiful terrier he is; thanks for putting those up. It sounds like he will do just fine. You're giving him lots of attention which is what he craves. I like the pic of your cat and Reese. Hopefully you will cure the barking at mechanical devices that make noise or startle him. This is a much needed Happy Ending story today! Thrilled for you.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I just saw your updates and photos! What a beautiful terrier he is; thanks for putting those up. It sounds like he will do just fine. You're giving him lots of attention which is what he craves. I like the pic of your cat and Reese. Hopefully you will cure the barking at mechanical devices that make noise or startle him. This is a much needed Happy Ending story today! Thrilled for you.

Thank you! She's gotten better with the printer, and the DVD player, now we're working on the VHS (it's a DVD and VHS combo) I let her stand in front of it and listen to it, and as soon as she growls or barks, I tell her "NO" and she backs off. She's a great dog, and I'm looking forward to seeing her open up more as she has many years with us.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Hey ya'll,

Thought I'd give you an update on Reese. Since posting about the DVD player and printer, she has stopped barking at the printer altogether; she still growls at the VHS player, but doesn't attack it anymore. She's getting better as time goes on. I recently took her to the vet and she got the clean bill of health, the only thing that she had going on was a slight ear infection.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Reese is scheduled to get spayed on 4/23, had another distemper shot today. The distemper down in Texas is very bad, and I guess for a pup they need 3 rounds of it. Hopefully she'll just need her basic checkups after this.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM

Hey ya'll,

My husband gets up a few minutes before I do in the morning and lets Reese out. I've reminded him on a constant basis about checking the litter box as he feeds our cat. Well, he never remembers to do so, and Reese always manages to eat cat poo before I can get in there and scoop it.

Does anyone have any tips (other than scooping and reminding my husband) on how to prevent Reese from eating the cat poo?

Not only is it annoying, but it's really disgusting that she does it, and it makes her breath reek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs