U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM

9,535 posts, read 10,844,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was at the park today and this mans dog (big one ) knocked me over and i started laughing and the dog was wagging his tail and licking me ... obviously i was none the worse for wear and he started saying Oh sh8t so sorry and i told him it was okay it happens ....In fact I thought it was funny and he told me the last time it happened the woman tried to sue him .. I cannot believe ppl are so sue crazy these days I loved it , it was fun and reminded me how I miss a big dog ... going to get another one when I get my own place i miss having a big dog . I just cannot believe that someone would try to sue someone over something like that . a dog bite is something else entirely .
Phonelady,

I've repped you before and I'm repping you again. As far as I'm concerned you're one of the good folks on here. There are mean and nasty people out there; they never like dogs or cats or any other animals. I'll be seventy this year; if a dog knocks me down I'll get up and go my way. If I were hurt I'd never tell anyone that a dog knocked me down. I could never do anything to get a dog or any other animal in trouble. This didn't come with old age; I've always been this way.

I bet the ones who talk so rough and tough are the kind who'd run from a 5# dog wagging his tail.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,300,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes this is a wooded dog park and the dogs were off leash and I did not have my dogs with me . we just stopped for a minute to look at the dogs . The guy was very nice and was very sorry .
I'm sorry I missed this follow-up post of yours, phonelady.
Off-leash dog park, well, that is different and you did right and I would have done the same! I was initially thinking just a regular park, not a designated off-leash dog area.

In which case, I'd think it prudent that anyone who is inform or frail ought to avoid any scenario where there are large dogs romping about and running...or accept the consequences.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,884,928 times
This was a scenario I hadn't considered in a dog park--I haven't taken my fur baby to one yet, and guess I won't now.

For me it's not about pursuing a lawsuit, but due to my health a very minor initial injury can turn into a permanent horrific one, or thousands in medical bills to prevent it. A stranger looking at me wouldn't know about my disability. My scenario is rare, but a fall for many seniors could be serious as well, so I do think it is a serious issue in a normal park setting.

One of my mom's neighbors couldn't control his 100+lb dogs, and would drop the leashes to avoid getting pulled over, letting them charge me and my dog on the street, laughing all the while that they were just fine. Even if I didn't have my health issues, it would have scared me for my dog's sake. They were very nice people, and had been a neighbor for many years, but I'm relieved they recently moved.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 PM

17,878 posts, read 17,721,406 times
I was under the impression this happened at a dog park, which I would be absolutely disgusted with someone suing because they were jumped on by a friendly dog. If you go to a dog park, this is a risk you take. I think the owner should do a better job at training their dog, but these kinds of things happen.

However, if it were just a normal park where dogs are supposed to be on leash, it'd be a different story. I still wouldn't sue unless I had to seek medical treatment, but I could understand someone being outraged regardless.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Nobody's blaming the dog.
It's the owner.
Being realistic of the injurious ramifications of being knocked down by a big dog does not make you some dog hater.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 AM

689 posts, read 1,233,464 times
Phonelady, my dog met a nice lady like you at Target. It was one of our first outings, when she started her service dog training. I looked away for a second, and Peanut stuck her nose right into the butt of the lady in front of us in line. I was mortified and really couldn't apologize enough. The lady was wonderful. She laughed and said she was glad it was friendly dog, and not an overly-friendly stranger.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,543,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not my experience. My knees were very bent because I was crouched down into a squat. That dog ran me over. She was probably going 30-35 mph. She's a Labrador. That's how fast they can run. Google it. No amount of knee bending can protect you from a 80lb dog going 30mp. LOL
A greyhound at full acceleration on a track can go 30-35 mph, but the idea that a Labrador can do that is pretty funny.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:57 AM

1 posts, read 416 times
I got knocked flat on my back last month at the dog park a young German Shepherd running full tilt from behind. I landed flat on my back and am still recovering from the concussion. The injuries didnt manifest till later so my first concern was for the other guy's dog because she had yelped.
...Six weeks later I still can't drive, and am still supposed to be doing "nothing" (as per my doc and physiotherapist).
Just saying that moderate-serious injuries can and do happen in the dog park. It is "enter at your own risk", but if we know our dogs are prone to be unaware of people around them when they are playing.... I do suggest common sense says to keep those particular dogs away from the park until they are better trained/behaved/??
I am a very young 40 and so will recover just fine, but what if this had happened to an older person? Like it or lump it, each one of us is fully responsible for the behavior of our dogs in and out of the dog park.
Common sense and the Golden Rule I would say. : )

Old 07-25-2018, 12:15 PM

1,465 posts, read 886,874 times
I'm in my 60's, and definitely am nervous when I see a pack/group of dogs running and playing at high speed in the dog park, if they come anywhere near me. But I'm not going to tell their owners to calm them down; because it is a dog park. I believe there's an assumption of risk when a human enters a dog park; it is implicit in its purpose that dogs are going to run and play and that can be at high speed. Not all dogs do that; my dog likes to do his own thing (which usually involves trying to mooch some treats off people) and even when he does jump up, he doesn't run-and-jump or jump with his full strength, he does it gently, and he weighs only 26 lbs., so he doesn't inflict any damage. I've been knocked down by dogs in and out of dog parks; once by a 3-month-old Boxer pup - no way was he old enough to be trained to dial it down, he was just running by me at full speed and he was already so strong and muscular that when he sideswiped me, I went down.

I remember one dog who was young, about a year old, about 50-60 lbs. and full of puppy exuberence, running full-out toward me, in the winter in a dog park where the snow was over six inches high - I told him sternly "No!" and he paused. Then he tried to come at me again. I said "Don't even think of it". He never jumped. And when I saw him on other occasions, he'd run full-tilt at me and stop suddenly when he was about 3 ft. away. Eventually, as he matured, he grew more careful in his approach; but at least he was willing to listen and learn.

When I'm at the dog park and dogs are running/playing at high speeds; if they're anywhere near me; I make sure that I'm within grabbing distance of the fence or a tree; something solid I can cling to if they shove me. It's just a good idea.

The only time I ever injured myself at a dog park did not involve a dog; it was very icy, and although I was walking slowly, I guess it wasn't slowly enough. I went down and damaged something in my right arm. A dog (not mine) did come up and sniff at me and seemed to be very solicitous; my dog was 200 ft. away and oblivious. Luckily, people came and helped me up...

Old 07-25-2018, 04:13 PM

1,401 posts, read 839,439 times
It would take an awful lot for me to even consider suing someone, unless injury occurred because of an intentional act. Sure, I'd get extremely frustrated and pissed off if I was hurt because of someone's irresponsible behaviour (such as unleashing a large dog who is completely out of control and winds up knocking people over, or causing overt stress to other dogs), but sue? No.

There was one event several years ago that I had with a man who showed up at the field near my house and let his dog run loose. [This wasn't an official dog park; rather, a field where owners used to go and let their dogs have some exercise, but a few people and their dogs did use it as an impromptu dog park.] One day this guy showed up, never saw him before, he didn't live in the area. But as soon as he entered the field he let his dog go so she could run around. Problem was, he had her on a 30-50(?) ft leash, and he didn't bother taking it off, just dropped it on the ground and his dog began running all over the place, playing with some other dogs there. When I asked him why he left the leash on her he said, 'oh, I can't catch her otherwise'. I told him that he should really remove it, as a leash trailing like that could cause be dangerous, but he just laughed and said 'nothing's going to happen'. Well, not two minutes later...his dog was in hot pursuit of another dog, she turned and ran one way, then changed direction suddenly, and the leash wrapped around my ankles and I went down. Didn't get hurt, just wound up being bruised and sore, but still...it could have been worse. That's what I get upset about; those who do things without thinking, or have dogs who are completely out of control and causing chaos all around.

Oh, and the other time I was taken out at a 'dog park' (again, same field) turned out it was my own dog who did it. I was in the field and only one other person was there, and Kaya began playing with her dog. That was one of the only times I ever saw my girl make friends with a canine she didn't know - she had pretty large fears over strange dogs - and the two of them began running AAALLLL over the place, happy as two clams. So the woman and I stood there chatting whilst our hounds played. And then they were running around us in circles, and Kaya swerved suddenly - right into the back of my legs. I dropped like a rock, right onto my shoulder. At the time I was going through a bout of 'frozen shoulder' (anyone who's had this before would know just how bloody painful it can be) and when my shoulder hit the ground, I was in complete agony. The poor woman kept asking me, 'are you all right? should I call an ambulance?' but I couldn't answer her right away. I was in so much pain that I literally couldn't speak. Eventually I managed to get up, but the intense pain stayed with me for the rest of the evening and into the next day.

Anyway, I look at it as a risk one takes when they own dogs, or frequent places where dogs can run loose to burn off energy. If someone's dog knocked me over while I was at a dog park and I was injured, I'd chalk it up as an accident. The guy whose dog was running loose while trailing the leash? I was angry at him for being irresponsible, for presenting 'an accident waiting to happen', and for it ultimately happening even though he was warned. Would I have considered suing him had I been badly hurt? No. I might have called police to report him, but that's about as far as I would go. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd consider suing anyone unless, as I said, I felt injury directed at me was intentional, done with malice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or