Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM

107 posts, read 167,925 times

Advertisements

I've traveled before with large breed dogs, but never a small dog. Are there advantages, disadvantages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Small breeds have the enormous advantage that many airlines will allow you to carry them inside the cabin with you.

Small breeds use smaller equipment so it is easier to carry around and takes up less room.

You can carry a small breed in your arms, which sometimes makes thing easier and a carried dog can go inside some businesses where a dog on the floor is not permitted.

The best advantage of a large dog is that muggers will give them a wide berth and go on to molest someone who is not you.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The best advantage of a large dog is that muggers will give them a wide berth and go on to molest someone who is not you.
Well, unless it's a golden retriever, in which case the muggers will get a good licking.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy'sWife View Post
I've traveled before with large breed dogs, but never a small dog. Are there advantages, disadvantages?
What type of traveling? ...car, plane, walking?

There are more advantages than disadvantages because they weigh less and take less room.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
small dogs have advantage complelty when traveling by any form...
by car: take up less space, many hotels even when they allow pets have weight restritions (not a problem with small dogs) their "equiptment" (feed for the journey, balnkets crate ect) take up lessspace

by air: dogs under a certain sie can travel in cabin, its usually cheaper and safer and no waiting around on the other end to unload your friend

by public transport: the few public systems that allow pets have size retrictons. small dogs = fit in carrier under seat which is usually the requirment.

the only real disadvanages to traveling with small dogs is the same as traveling with ANY pet, many hotels do not allow pets to be left in the rooms wihout their human present, you have to plan your days around potty breaks and food stops...and most places are not dog freindly (if a store/place says NO DOGS it doesnt mean "no dogs unless they fit in your purse")

small dogs make much EASIER traveling companios than large dogs, their size simply makes them much more portable and cheaper over all...a weks worth of food for a GSD is going to take up alot more space in the car thana weeks worth of food for a chihuaha

Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I think traveling is a lot easier with a small dog. I've traveled on an airplane twice with my dog. He rides in his carrier under the seat during the flight, but he walks on a leash through the airport. Most people think he's cute and ooh and ahh over him. He also travels well in the car. He went on a 25 hour car ride with me when I moved from VA to CO and he did great. I am really lucky that my dog likes the car and doesn't mind the airplane (not his favorite) and he doesn't bark and is pretty friendly and mellow. I know some dogs that freak even being in the car and bark and pace the whole time, so I think it depends on their personality as much as their size.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I have to also second the small dog traveling is easier I have traveled with two chihuahuas multi state travels and i always add a couple of hours by car travel to stop and get out and stretch our legs and go potty and food breaks so if it is an 8 hr trip I always say it is a 10 hour trip . I traveled with a large dog a few years ago before he passed and he was an irish wolfhound and i was in a vw rabbit what a ride that was LOL but not something I would reccomend for anyone LOL .. I miss him terribly but he is waiting for us at the rainbow bridge .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs