U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM

689 posts, read 1,233,261 times

Advertisements

This is my "pit mix" baby. It makes me sad when people dismiss dogs just for being pits, so I thought I'd add a little something to the conversation.

Peanut came to us as a foster at 4 weeks old, along with her 4 litter mates. I instantly fell in love with her, then she got parvo. Yep, she made it! After going through that, she wasn't going anywhere. She is now in training to be my service dog. I got bored one day and decided to test her DNA. Not sure exactly how accurate those are, but she came back ZERO pit. Doberman/Rottweiler/Boxer/GSD/etc. (Also, commonly judged as being "mean" dogs) In looking at pictures of uncropped dobies, there is definitely a resemblance, and the boxer was no surprise. When strangers meet her, they comment on what a pretty "pit." I really don't care if she's pit or not. When we foster other puppies, she "mothers" them. Her best friend is my daughter's garage-rescue cat. And she LOVES my toddler grandson (because he's always dropping food). I don't leave her alone with the baby, ever. Not because I don't trust her, but because accidents can happen.
Please, get to know a dog personally. You can take an educated guess at breed, but not know for sure, and pass up a really amazing dog because of stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times
Reps for you and your pretty maybe-pibble. She sounds lovely. Hard to tell from that photo but she does look pit-bully-ish to me; the silly ears are a dead giveaway.

From someone who has owned Rottweilers since 1986 and who has fostered many dogs, including pit bulls and bully mixes, you are so correct. It's about the individual dog, not the breed. While different breeds do come with innate traits in general, that's no reason to make blanket assumptions.

As far as the DNA testing goes...it's been a while since I've looked at the literature, but at least one service (Mars?) will not include any bully-type dog in the DNA profiles and they said that right up-front on their website.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM

Yep. She has the silly ears and the grin. I used Wisdom Panel, by Mars. The don't test specifically for "pit bull," but the do identify American Staffordshire, Staffordshire, bulldogs, etc. Those breeds that make up the "Pit". She had some contributions that were too mixed to single out, so technically there could be some pit there, but it would be a very small amount. Her litter was found abandoned in the desert, so the shelter couldn't even identify what the mother might be.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,167,971 times
Yes, American Staffordshire Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier are virtually the same breed with extremely minor variations, the first is an AKC breed and the second a UKC breed.
I've used Wisdom Insights by Mars to test both my dogs now. One that the shelter pegged as pit/Dalmatian, but I originally thought was an American Bulldog or possibly Boxer mix, came out 50% American Stafforshire Terrier, 50% Great Dane (Harlequin would account for her spots so that's perfect). My other dog looked pretty pure pittie to me but her muzzle is a little off so I finally broke down and tested her. Only 50% AmStaff, the rest a mix of several breeds, the biggest percentage being Rottweiler and German Wirehaired Pointer (which would account for her head shape). All in all, neither dog was quite what I thought but both test results seemed to be very plausible.
I wish the test had been around in a reasonably accurate form, as I feel it is now, to test the mutts I've had before!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
This is my "pit mix" baby. It makes me sad when people dismiss dogs just for being pits, so I thought I'd add a little something to the conversation.

Peanut came to us as a foster at 4 weeks old, along with her 4 litter mates. I instantly fell in love with her, then she got parvo. Yep, she made it! After going through that, she wasn't going anywhere. She is now in training to be my service dog. I got bored one day and decided to test her DNA. Not sure exactly how accurate those are, but she came back ZERO pit. Doberman/Rottweiler/Boxer/GSD/etc. (Also, commonly judged as being "mean" dogs) In looking at pictures of uncropped dobies, there is definitely a resemblance, and the boxer was no surprise. When strangers meet her, they comment on what a pretty "pit." I really don't care if she's pit or not. When we foster other puppies, she "mothers" them. Her best friend is my daughter's garage-rescue cat. And she LOVES my toddler grandson (because he's always dropping food). I don't leave her alone with the baby, ever. Not because I don't trust her, but because accidents can happen.
Please, get to know a dog personally. You can take an educated guess at breed, but not know for sure, and pass up a really amazing dog because of stereotypes.
good for you; my granddauthter had 2 from rescue centers. One has since gone to heaven and heaven is a better place since Roxey entered the gates I am sure. Now, their other one: Tank, well he is a sweetheart, she has 2 little girls and Tank is wonderful with them; his problem, he is just too hyper and drives most of us crazy. That being said, he is a great dog and it upsets me when people judge dogs from rumors they have heard. How about Dobies, they used to be thought of, as the devil with 4 legs? The home and personality of the owners often helps build a dogs personality. Yes, some breeds can be more aggressive and rescue dogs are usually a mix or often are, but just because a breed has a bad rep don't automatically close your eyes to them. You are right about not leaving doggy unattended with baby. anything can happen. Our granddaughter shuts
Tank in the laundry room when her oldest daughter has friends over, but he is still a delight and a wonderful conpanion to the 2 little girls.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:21 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Peanut is adorable, such a pretty and smart girl.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Yes, American Staffordshire Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier are virtually the same breed with extremely minor variations, the first is an AKC breed and the second a UKC breed.
I've used Wisdom Insights by Mars to test both my dogs now. One that the shelter pegged as pit/Dalmatian, but I originally thought was an American Bulldog or possibly Boxer mix, came out 50% American Stafforshire Terrier, 50% Great Dane (Harlequin would account for her spots so that's perfect). My other dog looked pretty pure pittie to me but her muzzle is a little off so I finally broke down and tested her. Only 50% AmStaff, the rest a mix of several breeds, the biggest percentage being Rottweiler and German Wirehaired Pointer (which would account for her head shape). All in all, neither dog was quite what I thought but both test results seemed to be very plausible.
I wish the test had been around in a reasonably accurate form, as I feel it is now, to test the mutts I've had before!
My main reason for doing the test was to "confirm" if there was some boxer in with the pit. Something in her mouth and stance just struck me as boxer-ish. That's why the no pit was a surprise, but the boxer wasn't. I was pretty fascinated by what they came up with. Makes you wonder how many shelter dogs are misidentified and euthanized based strictly on being pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or