U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,688,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Hello,

I'm moving to NJ & have to ship my 7 mo. old English Bulldog to my new residence. I plan on using "Pet Safe", a vendor who United Airlines uses to ship animals. Any tips, suggestions or anyone who has used United in similar circumstances? I've never had to ship a pet...

Thanks!
Do not ship. This is not a good thing for your dog. Please reconsider driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,688,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Well, I have to fly my dog, really no choice given my rapid move. He adjusts really well to new situations so I will stay positive and hope it all works out. I've just read alot of similar posts and it seems (like most strongly held feelings) that there are two camps on this subject....both very adamant in their their point of view!
Dogs are shipped in the belly of the plane, freezing temps. Flat nosed dogs suffer greatly in this type condition.
I would avoid flying them as cargo at all costs if it were my pet. He is too big for a carrier?? Buy him a seat.

Contact a rescue agency, see if they can help you transport your dog by car.

Or research other transport options besides flying. Dog Shipping, Pet Transportation, International Pet Shipping,Dogs to London, Relocation, Pet Transport
Do you have family that can drive out with your pup??

If you do fly, good luck and I hope it works out fine. Please update us.

Dangers of Flying With Your Dog - Dogs

Dangers of Flying with Your Dog : Doggies.com Dog Blog

Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,288,671 times
I certainly couldn't handle shipping my dog, but if its the only option, make sure you follow all the instruction pet safe gives you, especially sine you have a short nose dog.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,101,510 times
We ship by air 15-25 dogs & pups a year.
All across the states and around the world.

We have yet to have any real problems.
Sure now and then one arrives a little agitated from a bad flight/experience.
then 99.9 of them arrive waging their tails.

DO NOT sedate

A blanket is fine in the crate but shredded news paper will absorb and pee and it will also wrap it's self around any feces so it does not cover your animal

"Dogs are shipped in the belly of the plane, freezing temps. Flat nosed dogs suffer greatly in this type condition.
I would avoid flying them as cargo at all costs if it were my pet. He is too big for a carrier?? Buy him a seat."

^^^

People are shipped in a plane, freezing temps etc etc
Ho wait they are not and nether are any animals.

If what you say is so, they would ether freeze to death or die from asphyxiation. The animal holds are pressurized , heated and cooled.

The problem for short nosed dogs is the heat.
When the plane lands the temps will adjust to the ambient temp very quickly. Then the animals have to be unloaded further exposing them to the ambient temperatures on the runway.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 AM

62 posts, read 153,294 times
Really good advice from all of you! I'm still in the process of checking to see which airline will take short snout breeds, it appears that the choices are slim & none... My relo company may have some other resources when I contact them shortly......Charter jet huh?? Holy cow that must be $$$!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,898,849 times
There is a website for those driving cross-country (or whatever distance) and they list when, where and cost. It might be worthwhile to see if you could find someone that you would deem trustworthy to do it.

But I'm of the cautious variety...

I would have my son, who's in college do it for me, if I was in your shoes. Many college kids enjoy the whole road trip experience. Green Tortoise trips does cross country road trips, and allow dogs. Perhaps, you could subsidize someone's trip???

Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,101,510 times
The problem I have with ground travel is sooner or later they are going to take your dog out of the create.

Accidents happen.
In what areas are they taking them out of the crate?
At some wayside rest with a lot of cars moving around?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The problem I have with ground travel is sooner or later they are going to take your dog out of the create.

Accidents happen.
Absolutely could be even more dangerous with the wrong person. Agreed.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 AM

17,928 posts, read 17,840,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

Accidents happen.
I agree! Much more likely to get lost during the trip and/or being injured/killed during a car accident. I've taken my dogs with me whenever I moved even when I moved to Australia. The cargo area where the animals are kept are pressurized and temperature controlled. The problem when it comes to weather is when they are on the ground during layovers etc. I'd rather know my dog is safe below my feet rather than in someone else's care traveling for the next 2-10 days depending on the distance.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM

My French bulldog does fine in the front seat of a car with a window cracked. Put her in the back seat and she starts vomiting--quietly and then licks it up--sigh. I didn't figure out this was happening until I took her on a ride through the mountains. She whined very loudly about 15 minutes into the trip. She desperately had to go to the bathroom, and had thrown up a little bit. I made sure there was cross ventilation and continued. Just before we arrived at our destination, she whined again and threw up a sizable amount, and when I got her out and walked her she had bad diarrhea. The part through the mountains was maybe 45 minutes, the total drive 1 1/2 hours. I drove well under the speed limit.

I can't imagine how she'd do in a plane, but with her sensitive tummy and breathing issues due to breed, I would never have her fly. Not even in the cabin.

Would I hand her off to any stranger, either? No. But I'd pay more to have someone I know or thoroughly researched drive her if I was unable.

This is going to sound horrible, but it really is a matter of how attached you are to a dog, and how careful (i.e. paranoid) you are about the dog's comfort and safety. (I admittedly identify as edging into crazy dog lady category with my current furbaby.)

My mom kind of gave me grief for letting my dog go with the dogwalker on hikes and beach field trips so she can socialize with other dogs without me. I trust them, though and now that my mom has met them and has seen the improved behavior of the dog she agrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or