U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,798,138 times

Advertisements

ALL pets are flown in a SPECIAL area of the cargo hold...ALLLLLL pets! not sut some, not just a couple ALL pets, the are they are flown in is fully pressuried cimate controled monitored by camera and on flights longer than 2 hours monitored by people too!

(i have frineds working both delta nd continental, lilots and flight attendants as well as a couple baggage handlers)

thats just silly fear-mongering.
id rather FLY a pet than ground transport, theres MANY more incidents surrounding pet ground transportation than there are flight incident..you just hear about the flight incidents MORE because thats the way media works...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,090,835 times
Delta has always been able to tell us where our dog(s) are.
How is it Deltas fault you didn't hold back food a day before the flight and your dogs crapped in the crate.
Did you feed them normally and thought the dog could/would hold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Do not use Delta. I have used them 3 times in 15 years and had nothing but issues. They seem to be very lax at keeping track of the animals and have "lost" the dogs (during layovers) sent to me each time resulting in 8 plus hour waits, they cannot find them in the system when I called and basically had no idea where they were, and the dogs arrived covered in feces.
I have found all of the airlines from Delta to Lafthansa to be very accommodating, sure like with passengers they want you to arrive at the terminal early some up to 2hrs some will work their hardest to see your dog makes the flight even if you arrive 1 hr before the flight.

It could take 15-20 minutes just to get from the cargo dock to the flight your dog will be on, paperwork has to be done, security, etc etc.

Quote:
They are very strict with pet flights, and if you forget to do 1 single thing, they will send you home and the dog will miss the flight. For example some require you to show up 2 hours before the scheduled flight - no later.
Do you make your arrangements ahead of time with the airline or do you just show up?

If it is a regional flight and you have a big dog the create could be to big to fit into the door of the plane, you may need to drive to a different airport or use a different airline. this is where calling the airline ahead of time can save you some trouble.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,896,209 times
I hadn't considered that not feeding the dog the day before was something that needed to be done. Good advice, and it makes sense, but I couldn't do that.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,184,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Delta has always been able to tell us where our dog(s) are.
How is it Deltas fault you didn't hold back food a day before the flight and your dogs crapped in the crate.
Did you feed them normally and thought the dog could/would hold it.

I have never heard of anyone not feeding an animal for 24 hours before a flight. I would never do this. Good way to kill a puppy with hypoglycemia or make it throw up stomach acid all over the crate from flying on an empty stomach.

The dogs arrived to me covered in feces because they were two 8 week puppies that Delta had lost for over 8 hours, they had been crated for almost 24 hours by the time they got to me. Delta had no idea where they were. This has nothing to do with me feeding them a huge buffet before flying them, they were flown to me and lost by the airline. No idea why you even bring this feeding thing up.

At any rate, for the OP, like I said. Flying is perfectly safe and I have done it over and over since my bad exp with Delta. I simply no longer use them and no longer have issues.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM

71,925 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Hello,

I'm moving to NJ & have to ship my 7 mo. old English Bulldog to my new residence. I plan on using "Pet Safe", a vendor who United Airlines uses to ship animals. Any tips, suggestions or anyone who has used United in similar circumstances? I've never had to ship a pet...

Thanks!
We haven't used United, but we have shipped pets, more than once. The only recommendation is to get him a mild traquelizer, from the vets. Do not feed him before shipping and give him his favorite toy or blanket, whatever. He sill do fine and be thrilled to see you at the other end..Good luck,

Nita

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM

71,925 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yeah i would not recomend shipping any animal period . too many have died at the hands of the airlines . Good luck with the move.
and how do you expect the little guy to get to NJ? yes, things do happen, but it is rare. Why scare the poster. Sometimes there are no choices. Most of the handlers contracted by the Airlines are caring and know what they are doing. Our daughter and son in law, when they moved to Poland shipped their dog and cat.The dog was 12 at the time. No problems and for the person who said the dogs are in the feezing cargo section. This may have been the case years ago, but not anymore.

Nita

Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,090,835 times
Where do you get 24hrs from? We have no time line.
Some feed at night some in the am, some feed twice dailely.
What time is the flight?
Anyway
1. It will do your dog no harm to miss a meal. none...
I would rather my dog be hungry than covered in feces for 17hrs.
They get watered. They'll be fine even the 10wk pups do just fine.
we give them a hand full of food before we put then in the create just to appease the air-lines and give them a recent time of feeding, but some of the time they puke it up, just to lay in it or they try to eat it again.
not good..

I brought up the feeding because with out food you would not have feces covered dogs.
I brought it up because it is convent to blame the airline for things we do or don't do.

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone not feeding an animal for 24 hours before a flight. I would never do this. Good way to kill a puppy with hypoglycemia or make it throw up stomach acid all over the crate from flying on an empty stomach.

The dogs arrived to me covered in feces because they were two 8 week puppies that Delta had lost for over 8 hours, they had been crated for almost 24 hours by the time they got to me. Delta had no idea where they were. This has nothing to do with me feeding them a huge buffet before flying them, they were flown to me and lost by the airline. No idea why you even bring this feeding thing up.

At any rate, for the OP, like I said. Flying is perfectly safe and I have done it over and over since my bad exp with Delta. I simply no longer use them and no longer have issues.

ps no sedatives or tranquilizers, your just putting your animal at risk.

I don't want a groggy dog puking...

Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 AM

532 posts, read 1,569,730 times
Default Flying Short-nosed Breeds

Hmmm... Just found some info on flying short-nosed breeds:
https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/...avel-FAQs.aspx

and a Huff Post article from 10/2011 ... it has a bunch of links that can take you to more info:
Airlines Ban Bulldogs, Snub-Nosed Breeds From Flying Because Of Health Risks To Dogs

A broken link in the Huff Post article had me search United's site for Short nosed dog breed and I came upon this:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...aspx#shortnose

Not a problem to ship them with exrtra precaution(s).

Last edited by LakesideAnnie; 02-20-2013 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: add title and new United's short nosed breed link.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM

16,018 posts, read 19,666,166 times
Quote:
This is not true. I fly a flat faced breed and they are in a special section of the plane that is fully climate controlled.
Than, perhaps you have an airline to refer the OP to.

FYI: Here is a link discussing flying a brachycephalic breed:
http://kutchix.appspot.com/www.bulld...-airplane.html

Last edited by JanND; 02-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: link added

Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM

811 posts, read 1,196,165 times
I flew 2 cats, an African Grey parrot and an American Bulldog to the UK on BA, no problems. I think the parrot had the time of his life, he loved to travel! Several years later after old age had taken its toll with my other dog, I came back with an English Bulldog/Boxer mix (looks like an Olde English Bulldog) on KLM via Amsterdam and everything that could could go wrong did. From delays to the hardest landing I have ever experienced to being very hot when it wasn't supposed to be. My dog is a kind, gentle soul and is not very brave and the trip really distressed him to the point I was going to take him to the vets as soon as I got out of the airport. He really scared me. Once we got him in the car though, he calmed down (familiar situation) and was better by the time we got home. I guess my point is, you never know what will happen and how they will react. I will NEVER take this dog on a plane again though.
If you absolutely, positively, have to fly him (and not just because it is easier for you), just make sure you get a BIGGER size crate than you actually need (very important for snub nosed dogs), do not give him a sedative, and make sure you have all your reservations in order so there is no confusion checking in and read everything you can about flying with them. Good luck (sincerely!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or