Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:00 PM

64 posts, read 185,510 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to NJ & have to ship my 7 mo. old English Bulldog to my new residence. I plan on using "Pet Safe", a vendor who United Airlines uses to ship animals. Any tips, suggestions or anyone who has used United in similar circumstances? I've never had to ship a pet...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,956,596 times
yeah i would not recomend shipping any animal period . too many have died at the hands of the airlines . Good luck with the move.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM

64 posts, read 185,510 times
Well, I have to fly my dog, really no choice given my rapid move. He adjusts really well to new situations so I will stay positive and hope it all works out. I've just read alot of similar posts and it seems (like most strongly held feelings) that there are two camps on this subject....both very adamant in their their point of view!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,712,807 times
You should check your dog in as baggage when you fly. Most airlines will give you a tag before each flight when the dog has been confirmed he/she is on the plane.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,089,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Hello,

I'm moving to NJ & have to ship my 7 mo. old English Bulldog to my new residence. I plan on using "Pet Safe", a vendor who United Airlines uses to ship animals. Any tips, suggestions or anyone who has used United in similar circumstances? I've never had to ship a pet...

Thanks!
I've shipped two dogs and a cat within the last decade with absolutely zero problems. Most airlines (I cannot speak directly to United) are very aware of complications with temperature, delays and so on (plus they don't like the lawsuits and negative publicity if something goes wrong...)...I think it is a safe route to take.

I've also driven two cats (and two dogs) on a three-day cross-country move. The cats were extremely distressed with the entire experience and I'm sure would have preferred the equally unpleasant, but much, much shorter, flying option.

EDIT: Make that three dogs. I'd forgotten about the blind, diabetic, senior terrier foster dog who got flown via private plane (I have connections, LOL) from Michigan to Tennessee last year.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 12,537,689 times
When I adopted Chaos as puppy I flew to Texas and flew her home to California. Before that I was in the camp of I would never fly a dog but what can I say this photo of a puppy in a high kill shelter in Texas stole my heart and I did not have the time to make that drive. I checked out my options and I could have had the volunteer group ship her to me but instead I decided to fly and bring her back as checked baggae that way I knew she was on the flight.

I flew American and they had very detailed rules for checking a dog as baggage so I followed them and had no probems. They made you zip lock the crate at all 4 corners and zip lock the door as you were checking in. That way the crate had no chance of opening . I bought some bright collored duct tape and put a strip of it around the crate so I could see the crate out on the tarmack which I did but then we got delayed and a truck got in the way of my view so while I was pretty certain the crate got loaded I did ask the pilot to check as I got on. I did not tell him the puppy's name but did have her name " Chaos" written on the crate so when he did the inflight announcement he said " we have a little Chaos on board" which only I understood.

I flew out of Dallas Forthworth but flew into Burbank which is a smaller airport so Chaos was the first thing unloaded and they parked her crate at the door to the terminal.. you had to come down steps and walk across the tramac into the terminal so everyone got to see little Chaos as she was looking out wagging her whole body at everyone. The would not let me take the crate at that point as the rule was they had to bring the crate out to me in the baggage area so it took a while and as the flight crew passd me they all stopped to tell me what a love Chaos was so it was obvious she was not traumatized by the flight. She was very interested in the whole airport scene. Anyway we had a great experience and when you look at all the dogs that do fly most do fine and it just seesm like many do not becuase once again the media hype only tells you about the bad experiences not the good. Many dogs get killed in car accidents but we do not hear about those so there are risks to driving with dogs too.

There might be special rules for bulldogs being they have that short muzzle and can not tolerate heat as well as most other breeds . I took an evening flight and picked that latest one so luckely it had cooled off enough by the time we left because during the day it would have been a few degrees too hot.

So just remember many dogs do fly and have no problems. My brother flew with one of his bulldogs when she was 8 weeks old from Tenn to CA but she flew under his seat being she was small enough, Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,775,587 times
BMX you CANOT check a bulldog as baggage on theday of a flight, bulldogs are a flight restricted breed due to being a brachial breed, they can only fly in certain conditions, teperatures preasurization, ect and require special handling on both ends to avoid prolonged exposure to fluctuating temperatures ect...

most of my dogs hve been shipped to me no problems and from what ive been told pet-safe is one of the best most state of the art pet transport setups, they re one of the few companies with 24/7 coverage t their departure and airrival centers ect.

the good news is since its now and temps re low the typical bully shping issues shouldnt be a rblem...the bad newsis YOU ae going to stress more thn he will lol.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,519,210 times
I wouldn't do it. Just because some have done it without trouble doesn't mean you will. I would, however, consider a charter. That way your dog can ride with you in a pressurized cabin. It's not really all that expensive. Once when considering a move to Alaska that would have been the only practical way.

I've made long distance drives with both dogs and cats with no problems. Too many animals have died at the hands of airlines. I once spoke to a United captain who told me that he would never do it.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,546,641 times
I have both driven and shipped dogs. If the dog is very small, you can carry her on the plane. Check with the airline for what you need to do. You will need a clearance from a vet and a shipping container with food and water. Some airlines are climate controlled the whole way, some are not.

Do not tranquilize (the airline will not take her).

Some dogs are scared. Put a blanket in the crate that smells like you.

Once she sees you she will be happy and forget about the plane ride. She may even enjoy it.

Relax.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM

537 posts, read 1,761,369 times
I had my 12-week old Australian Shepherd puppy shipped to me from New Mexico to North Carolina in the month of July. We used Pet Safe (then, it was through Continental) and geeky-me was able to watch, online, the progress of my pup's flights (mandatory layover in Texas where all of Continental's Pet Safe flights needed to originate.) Everything turned out well for us.

But Foxy may have a point about the short nosed breed and issues related to that. And absolutely DO NOT sedate the pup. When sedated, the dog's natural abilities to regulate temperature and breathing are compromised and could cause problems on a flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs