U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,884,928 times

Advertisements

The owner is a twenty something man that already had one dog and recently adopted this puppy. She was described as a catahoula, and I took one look at her, and said pit mix, right? And he admitted she was.

The puppy was sweet and played well with my dog, but the person I thought might want her would never own a pit mix.

The whole encounter just kind of annoys me now, because first off, admit what the dog is and don't wait for someone to call you on it. (I don't have a problem with pits, but many people are leery of them.) Second, don't adopt a dog if you're not 100% sure you can afford it and have a stable living environment. He had a bed in the living room for goodness sakes, and is moving to an apartment that will not allow the puppy. I was also asked if I could leave my phone number so he could check back with me. Uh-no. If I can find someone responsible to love your dog, I'll come back.

Maybe dog licenses should cost more, and there should be crazy fines for those that are caught without them? I just can't believe how cavalier some people are about the lives of their animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
I am constantly stressing to my children and their friends, all young adults, that they should not buy pets until they are homeowners. It makes me sick how many people get pets for brief periods of time when their lives are transient.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM

568 posts, read 821,827 times
Dont forget the ones who get puppies and when they are no longer puppies want to get rid of them because they are no long "CUTE".....I know this woman who had done this tree times already...and she doesnt get it...thinks it is perfectly OK....sick "b".

Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Hopes, My son really wanted to adopt a dog, but after discussing it at length, he agreed to wait. He has a hedgehog now instead.

This puppy is 4 months and is hopefully puppyish enough she'll be adopted.

I do think renters seem to comprise a big part of the problem. It's not an excuse if or when your LL catches you with an animal you're not supposed to have. And it is more expensive and more difficult to find a home where they're allowed. It's not uncommon for breed restrictions either.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM

970 posts, read 1,822,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I am constantly stressing to my children and their friends, all young adults, that they should not buy pets until they are homeowners. It makes me sick how many people get pets for brief periods of time when their lives are transient.
My husband and I rent because we are still saving up to own a house but we have a stable living situation and stable sources of income. We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats, the oldest having been with us for the last 6.5 years. If we found ourselves without housing tomorrow we have at least 4 backup plans for each animal, none of which involve them being taken to a shelter or rescue (and one of the dogs is a service animal so he isn't an issue anyway).

I know plenty of people who own animals and rent but none of them treat their animals as throwaways to get rid of when they move.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM

553 posts, read 1,102,752 times
I used to have a Catahoula. He was a stray that showed up at my parents' home. I grew up in a college town and often students would abandon their dogs before going home at the end of the school year.

On the plus side, I ended up with a wonderful dog for 12 years.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,300,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
The owner is a twenty something man that already had one dog and recently adopted this puppy. She was described as a catahoula, and I took one look at her, and said pit mix, right? And he admitted she was.

The puppy was sweet and played well with my dog, but the person I thought might want her would never own a pit mix.

The whole encounter just kind of annoys me now, because first off, admit what the dog is and don't wait for someone to call you on it. (I don't have a problem with pits, but many people are leery of them.) Second, don't adopt a dog if you're not 100% sure you can afford it and have a stable living environment. He had a bed in the living room for goodness sakes, and is moving to an apartment that will not allow the puppy. I was also asked if I could leave my phone number so he could check back with me. Uh-no. If I can find someone responsible to love your dog, I'll come back.

Maybe dog licenses should cost more, and there should be crazy fines for those that are caught without them? I just can't believe how cavalier some people are about the lives of their animals.
If you want to get depressed, go to the "pets" section on craigslist. Talk about sad and depressing.

And I'm not even going to get into the whole pit bull issue.

I know some over-enthusiastic rescues refuse to adopt an animal to anyone who's renting, and I sort of see the reasoning there. The well has been poisoned by the millions of people who post "moving, can't keep....!" pet ads.

As someone who was a renter for years with dogs and cats, it was a no-brainer for me: If the rental doesn't allow pets, it's not even considered. My pets are family and go where I go. Apparently too many people choose convenience over commitment and that has poisoned the well.

I've been a homeowner for over 20 years now, but when I was active in rescue/foster I admit I considered a prospective adopter's housing status as part of the big picture.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM

I'm probably going to sound like a complete hypocrite, because I'm renting myself. My mom adopted my frenchie, and we fell in love with each other. She watched her for over a month until I could figure out my housing situation. My LL didn't want me to move, so he allowed me to try her out at my home, and if the situation wasn't workable, then I was going to move. It actually started my quest to find a home I could afford to purchase, and I have an offer in on a SS I'm hoping I'll get. (I have neighbors that moved in after I signed my lease that are a nightmare.)

So, it's not as if I don't agree there are responsible renters. I believe I'm one. But the issue of tenants sneaking dogs in and waiting to get caught is something I've seen several times in the two + years I've lived on my street. Homeowners seem so much more stable and drama free, as a general rule. And while I was looking for dog friendly places, let alone dog friendly places with a yard, I realized you most certainly pay through the nose for the privilege. I just can't fathom people struggling to pay rent, see a cute puppy, and don't consider living situation complications, maintenance, vet bills, etc.

My son just took his hedgehog to the vet because he was acting "odd" and it cost $100. Had it been a dog, that could easily have been a $300-400 bill. (I did let him know I'd help out with the cost until he graduated and got a ft job.) Someone living in the living room of a rental, is very likely too broke to own one dog, let alone two.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
As for renting, every region of the country is different. My metro is not pet friendly to renters.

Pet owners relocating here from other cities often complain about it.

Consider my audience. I'm talking to 19 and 20 year olds.

They have no business getting pets when they can't even support themselves.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 AM

17,879 posts, read 17,721,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post

I completely understand your frustration! However, I think expensive dog licenses would simply punish responsible owners. At least from my experience, young people who bought dogs on a whim didn't have money problems. I also think people who can't afford dogs wouldn't bother licensing them anyways. And then it would be a burden to have to carry your dog's ID on you at all times or face steep fines. I think there needs to be more education on dog ownership that all dog buyers must read and sign. I have a friend that lives in the college dorms and her BF just bought her a dog. I couldn't be happy for her because what if they break up, what will happen to the dog. She can't keep him in her dorms, so will the BF really be willing to care for him and pay for everything the rest of his life? On top of that, she wanted to get another dog and breed them and I told her DON'T. I was a bit irate at this point because the lack of planning astonishes me. I wish something would be done to make dog ownership more tough, but more money isn't the answer. Maybe forcing all dog sellers to subject buyers to a nationalized exam that goes over basic care, costs, complications etc. I don't know, but I understand your frustration. At least there has been much progress against dog stores and puppy mills. At least in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or