U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,318,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Good one!

I aim for averaging around a dollar per pound; that is about $6-7.00 a day, give or take, for my three dogs.
Also consider I have virtually zero dental issues or dental cleanings and the dogs are generally really healthy.

It is possible to feed raw for much cheaper, actually, but I spend more because I also get a monthly order of things like tripe and goat. But these are not essential.

To start out, rather than buying chicken wings (which are fine, but quite expensive and also way higher in calcium than a dog requires) buy a whole chicken; cheaper and there's a good part of your balance right there. Whack it into meal-sized bits. In my experience it is OK for dogs to inhale their food, including bones. This is normal behaviour for dogs and since they are carnivores the digestion and breaking-down happens in the intestinal tract, not in the jaws or mouth.

Many dogs are resistant to raw liver, I think because of the squishy texture. Cooking it is fine. So is feeding it frozen. Don't feed too much liver at once...I parcel it out in smaller amounts to avoid dire rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM

16,651 posts, read 26,656,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I feed raw, to my border collie and my border collie beagle mix. The mix is now 5 and has never been on anything else, and my older dog is 15 (looks and acts half that age) .

Two things to consider. How are your dogs teeth? Many dogs on traditional diets have very bad teeth by they time they are pushing 10. If his teeth are worn, weak, missing, etc. it will be very hard to get him to a raw diet.

Second, does he, as many beagles and other hound do, wolf his food? If so you are going to have to switch very, carefully because he is older to be learning how to properly chew bones.

Also, you should NOT just switch to a new diet. This should be a gradual process especially for a senior.

I would start with a single chicken wingette, the first two thirds of a chicken wing. I would also break the bones with a mallet (in case he does not chew them well). I would offer the chicken wing, warmed up, clean and very fresh, by hand only allowing him a bit at a time and encouraging him to use the teeth on the side to grind the bones. If he cannot be fed by hand this way, or won't eat it slowly while cracking the bones he is likely to old to feed raw.
Thanks for your post. It sounds like we're good to go (well, when I'm ready):

1. Despite his age, his teeth are GREAT! Whenever I've asked his vet(s) -- in any city we've lived in -- if he needs to have his teeth professionally cleaned, they've said, "Why? They're great." He chews on bones and stuff, so he keeps them in terrific shape, all on his own.

2. He's the only guy who's got Beagle blood who couldn't care less about food. I mean, he'll eat. But only when he's hungry. And he always -- always -- leaves some food in his bowl, even if it's just a two pieces of kibble. He's not an animal, y'know! Hahaha! Really, though, he's very good about food -- I wish that I was like him, only eating when I'm truly hungry.

3. I know that, with kibble, you need to do a gradual switch. I hadn't given it much thought, in terms of raw, because I'm not ready to make the switch yet, so I'm happy that you mentioned it. It would have been the first question that I asked. Thank you! And thank you for the wingette tip as well as the hand-feeding. That's certainly an easy way -- and an inexpensive way -- to see if raw and Artie get along. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I know you're not much of a reader LOL but if you read Ted Kerasote's new book Pukka's Promise you'll most likely learn a lot about diet and nutrition as well as many other topics.

I know my copy will be making the rounds of all my humane society friends.
Hahahaha about the reading bit. That made me giggle. I had to put my book down, I was laughing so hard.

I'll check out that book once I'm settled. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,171,515 times
Variety over time.

You have to get rid of the 100% complete and balanced mindset that the kibble industry drills into everyone's head. A parent would never feed a child Total cereal every day simply because it says "100% complete" on the box.

Variety over time is how every living thing on the planet eats; you can't go wrong with that. The important thing is to not overthink it trying to take advice from 100 websites or you will drive yourself mad with conflicting information.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Good one!

I aim for averaging around a dollar per pound; that is about $6-7.00 a day, give or take, for my three dogs.
Also consider I have virtually zero dental issues or dental cleanings and the dogs are generally really healthy.

It is possible to feed raw for much cheaper, actually, but I spend more because I also get a monthly order of things like tripe and goat. But these are not essential.

To start out, rather than buying chicken wings (which are fine, but quite expensive and also way higher in calcium than a dog requires) buy a whole chicken; cheaper and there's a good part of your balance right there. Whack it into meal-sized bits. In my experience it is OK for dogs to inhale their food, including bones. This is normal behaviour for dogs and since they are carnivores the digestion and breaking-down happens in the intestinal tract, not in the jaws or mouth.

Many dogs are resistant to raw liver, I think because of the squishy texture. Cooking it is fine. So is feeding it frozen. Don't feed too much liver at once...I parcel it out in smaller amounts to avoid dire rear.
I love the whole chicken idea! Artie and I can share. (Alas, my part will be cooked.)

Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Variety over time.

You have to get rid of the 100% complete and balanced mindset that the kibble industry drills into everyone's head. A parent would never feed a child Total cereal every day simply because it says "100% complete" on the box.

Variety over time is how every living thing on the planet eats; you can't go wrong with that. The important thing is to not overthink it trying to take advice from 100 websites or you will drive yourself mad with conflicting information.
Check!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,318,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I love the whole chicken idea! Artie and I can share. (Alas, my part will be cooked.)
I often share with my dogs.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
agree with chiro on the whole chicken for a number of reasons...
mainly, i belive in following PREY MODEL
i find its the absolute easiest most fool proof raw feeding method there is.
the idea behindprey model is you feed s they woud feed in nature...a whole animal, the only difference is they eat it over a period of time rather than gorge in 1 meal then fast then gorge then fast...

so say your feeding chicken...buy a whole chicken...preferably with organs. Hack that chicken up into meal sized portions and then feed that whole chicken through the week, day 1 could be wings and some breast, day 2 could be a leg quarter, day 3 coule be bck and some organs, day 4 the neck and some more breast ect...
same if your feeding fish...buy the whole fish and hack it into managable peices andtada, no need to ess around with the organ to meat to bone ratio ect.
feeding all 3 will cost me somewhere a little under 3lbs a day...

hope that helps.

as you strt getting into different types of prey the idea is still the same...over a period of time you want to feed a "whole" animal, so say your going pork...well since its kinda hard to get a whole pick to hack to peices figure out what peices you can get (ribs and pork chops for example...well ribs are high in bone so we gotta balance that out later in the week with some muscle meat, hey look boneless chops will do that, or if chops re too expensive balnce out those ribs with some chicken....

Chicken is generally the start of meat anyway and for the first few months all youll feed is chicken, then once his system adapts youll dd in a new protein source (say beef) and youll feed ust chicken and beef for a while then if that goes well you add in a new one...its a prtty slow process nd chicken tends to be the go to protein source unles syou have a chicken sensitive dog (which isnt as common in raw as it is in dry...)

in terms of how much start out at 2.5% of your dogs body weight per day and djust up or down based on condition...easiest way to tell if your right with raw is to go by hwo the dog looks in the weight dept.

alot of sights make it alot more complicated than it needs to be. as long as your feeding a general ratio of 80% meat 10% edible bone (none weight bearing ie ribs or chicken backs are edible, femur is not) and 10%organ (of which 1/2 should be liver) your fine...but buying whole chicken on or buying chicken quarters is the absolute EASIEST way to get started.
tounge, heart, and gizards count as muscle meat as a just for info too!

Im hoping to switch to 100% prey model rw here in the next year...just got to get to raising enough critters to feed us all.
well be oing primarily chicken, eggs and rabbit for dozer and quail,eggs and rabbit for the cresties and cats.

fruits and veggies are at your discrssion dogs dont realy need them (feed green tripe once in a while (just do it OUTSIDE lol) but if you want to feed fruits nd veg blend them first into a mush (dogs cant digest cellulose in its full form.)

for math dumb dumbs like me...
Calculate

so for dozer whos a high energy dog is start him out somewhere in the range of 2 1/4lbs - 2 3/4 lbs per day
ruby would be closer to 4.5oz a day and jasper around 2 1/2 oz per day

Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Fabulous as always, Foxy. Just a TON of information for me to absorb from your post. THANK YOU!!! And I love how you described how to feed the whole chicken, part by part. That makes perfect sense. Terrific!!!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,556,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Thanks, Wendell! Wow, $10 per day. It doesn't cost that to feed ME. Well, actually, Artie eats better than most people too.
Ten dollars a day to feed raw? To how many dogs? We never spent anywhere near that much for two 60-pound dogs! I think we spent $250 a month, but we also rarely saw the vet in the 10 years we fed raw, and the dogs never needed their teeth cleaned or looked after until they were 12+. That's a lot of savings right there.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
theres also going t be a HUGE price diference for those feeding pre-made raw and those feeding hey look my grocery store had chicken quarters on sale!

pre-made raw (patties, meatballs ect with bone and orgn and stuff all gorund up together in an "easy to feed") will cost a small fortune! but for those with tiny dogs or those who want to go raw but are too fraid of "messing things up" its an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or