U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,542,288 times

Advertisements

It's my fault for leaving the chocolate layer cake where she could get it. It's my fault for not twisting on the top of the cake carrier. It's my fault for going outside without her for ten minutes and not realizing that cake was within reach.

It was homemade, too, with my mom's incredible chocolate frosting recipe, made with butter, milk, sugar, and four ounces of unsweetened dark baking chocolate. The frosting was the first thing to go, and she was digging into the cake when I walked inside and saw her from the back, tail wagging wildly, as she got a gutful of what Daddy has been having for dessert the past few nights.

So I took the World's Happiest Doggie to the vet, and she has to stay for the afternoon, and right about now, I'm sure she is the World's Most Unhappy Doggie. I knew when we got her that health insurance would be a good idea, and now I am so glad we got it!

I will be more careful in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM

532 posts, read 1,565,625 times
oh, my.

we learn from our mistakes.

as I did earlier this week when my pup, who was crated, was able to pull my winter jacket through the wires of his crate and chew the inside zippered pocket out of the inside of my coat.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Clever boy!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times
Yikes.

Several years ago one of the dogs (it was between Smallish Dog and Medium Dog, Biggest Dog was out with me at the time) ate a bar of high-test dark Lindt chocolate. I called my vet who advised hydrogen peroxide to make them throw up, since it had been very recently ingested. Not knowing which dog had eaten the chocolate, I made them glug that nasty stuff, then stood out in the back yard with them while they heaved, retched and gagged. I felt awful be-cause it was MY fault for leaving it where a naughty dog could get to it.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Well, we are still getting used to having a dog who eats everything. Jimmy and Hallie (RIP) never did. They just never ever nosed around in stuff they shouldn't have. But this little minx is a whole other story. Shoes, underwear, used tissues, plastic packaging, pine cones, mulch, bird seed....but she is no worse for wear right now, as this video shows. The vet says he got up one huge blob of very sweet smelling stomach contents.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...73219476051833

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM

16,567 posts, read 14,005,185 times
Too bad the cake sounds yummy.

Reminds me of two christmas' ago when my dogs got into a present some visiting relatives had left under the tree. Woke up to find they had ripped open a 1lb bag of those individually wrapped lindor truffles and eaten all 53 of them. The older dog was smart enough to unwrap them first but the younger dog ate 21 wrappers. I know because we then spent the next 2 hours making them barf in the kitchen. Everyone should keep hydrogen peroxide around for just that reason.

It looked, and smelled like hot chocolate. Gross.

Luckily, my dogs don't have theobromine "allergy".

Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,927,004 times
Oh boy, hope poochie feels better soon!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,298,480 times
A previous Rottweiler of mine was a total inhaler of all things tasty or shiny. I don't know how we managed to avoid paying for obstruction surgery, but we never did. Around one Christmas, he apparently managed to ingest about six feet of that bristly silver Christmas tinsel. Guess who ended up pulling it out of his butt an inch at a time...

Tina, she looks no worse for the wear in that video!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yikes.

Several years ago one of the dogs (it was between Smallish Dog and Medium Dog, Biggest Dog was out with me at the time) ate a bar of high-test dark Lindt chocolate. I called my vet who advised hydrogen peroxide to make them throw up, since it had been very recently ingested. Not knowing which dog had eaten the chocolate, I made them glug that nasty stuff, then stood out in the back yard with them while they heaved, retched and gagged. I felt awful be-cause it was MY fault for leaving it where a naughty dog could get to it.

Your story is so like my story with Jazz and Dash. Someone had given me a couple pounds of chocolate much of it dark chocolate and I was going to take it into work so put it in my bag that I take to work and put it on the dining room table. A friend called and I went to her place for about 15 minutes came home to find the bag on the floor and all the chocolate gone. I did not know which one did it so I got the hydrogen Peroxide took them out on the patio and they both retched and vomited big time. Jazz no sign of the chocolate so I felt bad making her go through that. Dash on the other hand had a pile of chocolate and wrappers in front of him..guilty! Since it had been in his stomach for such a sort time we did not go to the vet and Dash was fine no diarrhea or anything despite my telling him you are going to be sooooo sick. That dog had a caste iron gut never got sick from any of the stuff he had ingested that he should not have, he was a big time thief even when I thought stuff was safe he would find a way to get food

Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
When Kona was a puppy I had made chocolate truffles as Christmas gifts for friends. There were 23 little boxes with 12 truffles wrapped in pretty foil in each sitting on top of the counter which was too high for a puppy to reach, but not too high for the siamese cats to knock them off the counter and try to kill the puppy. Kona expelled all the evidence before my husband got home, chocolate is very hard to get out of carpet. She was hyper all night but no worse for the experience and she's still afraid of cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs