U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM

689 posts, read 1,231,451 times

Advertisements

A little background that some of you may have read before: I was a teacher of at-risk students, got a brain injury at school, and had to medically retire. We foster puppies and kittens through our local humane society, and got a litter of 4-week-old pups soon after my accident. After nursing one of the puppies through parvo, she became a "foster failure" and moved in with us permanently. Because I get lost, confused, and don't always see steps and curbs when I'm walking, she is being trained as my "GPS" service dog. She looks like a red nose pit/lab mix, but she's actually dobie/boxer/rottie/GSD/etc/etc.

My doctor said it's time for me to start doing something I enjoy so, of course, I'm now volunteering at a middle school, and have been assigned 2 at-risk kids to work with. Today I took my Peanut for the first time, and it went great! The boys loved her, the other kids at school were excited to see her in the halls, and she had a good time getting so much attention. The boys want to teach her tricks, starting with jumping through a hoop. She'll be coming with me every week and I'm so excited!

Since I get fatigued very easily, I'm just going 1 hour, 1 day a week. If any of you have considered using your dog as a therapy dog, I highly recommend it. Our local humane society tests and certifies therapy dogs once a month. The testing is free, and the only cost is $25 for the vest. Generally, to be certified your dog would have to pass the "Canine Good Citizens" test. The criteria for that can be found easily online. It's a win/win/win situation
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 PM

16,633 posts, read 26,572,725 times
You're an awesome lady with an awesome dog, and I think that you're both terrific.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM

9,350 posts, read 16,746,115 times
YEAH!!! what D said!!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Gosh, thanks.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM

3,177 posts, read 7,008,078 times
Can't say it better than Dawn!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 PM

12,378 posts, read 31,286,937 times
IF you are training your dog for your personal Service Dog You Should NOT also train as a Theraphy dog to Others! What IF you NEED him & hes paying attention to some one else? No Good! Yes I had Both Theraphy Dog I taken to Visit Nursing Homes I Also have Service Dogs to assit me.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM

3,177 posts, read 7,008,078 times
I think she should be able to train her dog in the way she sees best. She has a wonderful and positive outlook and is smart enough to know what works for her.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM

I understand the concern. I get confused and lost when I'm out and about. Even going for a walk around the neighborhood, I may have trouble finding my way home. She falls under the category of psychiatric service dog, instead of mobility. Her biggest job is "take me home." In stores she's learning, "let's pay." That gets me to the front of the store if I've gotten disoriented. For people who have significant mobility issues, it may not seem like a really big deal, but because of Peanut, I'm able to get out of the house on my own, and not be dependent on my family being available. She is a service dog first and foremost.

I added the info about therapy dogs in case somebody on this forum had considered it, and wasn't sure how to go about it.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,021,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
I understand the concern. I get confused and lost when I'm out and about. Even going for a walk around the neighborhood, I may have trouble finding my way home. She falls under the category of psychiatric service dog, instead of mobility. Her biggest job is "take me home." In stores she's learning, "let's pay." That gets me to the front of the store if I've gotten disoriented. For people who have significant mobility issues, it may not seem like a really big deal, but because of Peanut, I'm able to get out of the house on my own, and not be dependent on my family being available. She is a service dog first and foremost.

I added the info about therapy dogs in case somebody on this forum had considered it, and wasn't sure how to go about it.
I agree w/Dogmama.

I am so glad you and Peanut are together! What a great team!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,774,221 times
Good for you Mama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs