Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 PM

236 posts, read 555,976 times

Advertisements

Wellness fan here!! I have a 4 1/2 year old beagle and he has been on Wellness for most of his life. When I got him at nine weeks old I had him on Science Diet which I soon learned was garbage. I switched to Innova and I don't know if the food had something to do with it, but he started having mild seizures around this time. I just started doing research on dog food and decided to try Wellness brand and he loves it. It's wierd because when I switched to Wellness, the seizures stopped and he is really healthy now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Don't be afraid to check into your local Tack & Feed store. They usually sell dog food and most of the T&F that I've been to have a very holistic approach with high standards to animal food. You might get lucky and find they even make their own.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I wish we could get the dog's insight for this one.
Too bad they can't take a poll.
Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has tried more than one of these high-end dog food brands like Wellness or Blue Buffalo and if their dog/s seem to prefer one or the other?

I had tried Nutro Ultra. However, I did not like the smell of it. True, it's up to the dog/s (I have 2) but I still have to scoop it out and sometimes when the dogs are up close, I can smell that same aroma from their mouth like I was dishing up their food. Right now I'm using Wellness and I don't seem to get that strong smell coming from the bag like I did with Nutro or maybe it's just not bothering me as much as the other one did. Hey, I don't wanna feel like I'm going to get sick everytime I scoop out their food. I don't know what's in it that is setting off my senses like that

Would love to hear other people's experiences, if they've tried more than one brand for their dogs, ie Halo, Blue, Inova, Wellness, Fromm, et cetera ...
I use Blue Buffalo based on the recommendation from my vet and breeder. I mix it with a little wet Merrick dog food too and my dog loves it.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
My dog developed an allergy to Blue Buffalo, so now I feed him wellness simple. He's doing fine, so far....fingers crossed.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM

95 posts, read 308,804 times
My pup came home with Pedigree. I eent and got him Purina wet food. He ate that for a week and then he got bored. I also did more research and found that purina and pedigree we not great. I then switched to blue Buffalo brcause of the great ratings. He's on his second bag now. He seems to prefer it. No soft food for him. I also treat him to popcorn once every week. I feed him human food too.. Such
As carrots, strawberry, crackers.. He lives peanut crackers!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I wish we could get the dog's insight for this one.
Too bad they can't take a poll.
Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has tried more than one of these high-end dog food brands like Wellness or Blue Buffalo and if their dog/s seem to prefer one or the other?

I had tried Nutro Ultra. However, I did not like the smell of it. True, it's up to the dog/s (I have 2) but I still have to scoop it out and sometimes when the dogs are up close, I can smell that same aroma from their mouth like I was dishing up their food. Right now I'm using Wellness and I don't seem to get that strong smell coming from the bag like I did with Nutro or maybe it's just not bothering me as much as the other one did. Hey, I don't wanna feel like I'm going to get sick everytime I scoop out their food. I don't know what's in it that is setting off my senses like that

Would love to hear other people's experiences, if they've tried more than one brand for their dogs, ie Halo, Blue, Inova, Wellness, Fromm, et cetera ...
I've tried both. They were/are okay. The dogs ate it but produced a bit more waste than I like, so, I haven't kept either in the rotation.
Currently, I am feeding only Fromm's - Gold Holistic and one of the "fancy" varieties - currently Salmon a la Veg.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I feed primarily raw, but also keep kibble on hand - moreso when I was regularly fostering dogs. I tended to get various premium and/or grainfree brands. I'm a believer in feeding a wide variety of different foods (both types, and brands.) I've probably tried most of them out there including Blue Buffalo...usually if I buy kibble it's TOTW or Innova, though.

I found that Wellness produced larger, soft poops in every dog I fed it to, so I quit buying it. Clearly it works great for many dogs (and their owners) but that was my experience with it.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
My border collie is a Taste of the Wild dog as well. I started him out on Blue Buffalo, but he wound up with chronic diarrhea and had somewhat flaky skin, and he scratched...a lot. He loved the food (admittedly though, he isn't picky) and at first I wasn't sure what was causing the stool issue, but finally clued in that it could be something in his diet, so switched him to Taste of the Wild. Within a week I began noticing a difference with him; within two weeks he no longer had stool issues, and within about a month he had stopped scratching. For a treat he gets wet dog food (usually TOTW, sometimes President's Choice Nutrition First) in his Kong. In the summertime...Kongsicles!

A lot of it will depend upon the dog too...many peoples' dogs thrive on Blue Buffalo, for instance, while others swear that their dogs are sick while on it. Some dogs may be more sensitive than others, and as for taste...I guess they're just like us, each with their own preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs