Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM

19,330 posts, read 9,416,097 times

Advertisements

I wish we could get the dog's insight for this one.
Too bad they can't take a poll.
Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has tried more than one of these high-end dog food brands like Wellness or Blue Buffalo and if their dog/s seem to prefer one or the other?

I had tried Nutro Ultra. However, I did not like the smell of it. True, it's up to the dog/s (I have 2) but I still have to scoop it out and sometimes when the dogs are up close, I can smell that same aroma from their mouth like I was dishing up their food. Right now I'm using Wellness and I don't seem to get that strong smell coming from the bag like I did with Nutro or maybe it's just not bothering me as much as the other one did. Hey, I don't wanna feel like I'm going to get sick everytime I scoop out their food. I don't know what's in it that is setting off my senses like that

Would love to hear other people's experiences, if they've tried more than one brand for their dogs, ie Halo, Blue, Inova, Wellness, Fromm, et cetera ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times
Dog has been on Wellness for 4 years now.
Couldn't be happier.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,951,675 times
Costco (Kirkland) has a well rated dog food:
Kirkland Dog Food | Review and Rating
http://members.petfinder.com/~CA469/...oodRatings.pdf
Kirkland Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Analysis

We use it on our puppy and he is as healthy as any dog can be.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dog has been on Wellness for 4 years now.
Couldn't be happier.
Hi Stan, thanks for replying. If you don't mind, what were you using prior to that?
We used to use Purina Pro Plan chicken w/ the probiotics with no apparent issues but then I got into all this reading about different brands and started experimenting.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,457,766 times
There are many posts on food here if you care to do a search. My dog came to me on Nutro and I changed to The Taste of the Wild after Nutro had a few recalls. I did research online for a few top rated foods and my decision was cemented by the availability in my area. It has been about a year now since the switch and I have no complaints. I do supplement with fresh foods as well.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
There are many posts on food here if you care to do a search. My dog came to me on Nutro and I changed to The Taste of the Wild after Nutro had a few recalls. I did research online for a few top rated foods and my decision was cemented by the availability in my area. It has been about a year now since the switch and I have no complaints. I do supplement with fresh foods as well.
I have been doing alot of reading on the internet, that's how I got into the experimenting phase. I only wish that I had the dog's opinion, more so. All the "good" food that's out there doesn't do much if the dog's aren't into eating it. Just like human food. In a manner of speaking, you can eat all the healthy greens and whatever else is out there but if someone doesn't like to eat like that, because they don't like the taste, you can't make them "go healthy". I'm glad TOTW works for you. I'll keep that in mind. Availability is a key issue as well. I know where I can get the brand dog food, Fromm but it is about a 30 mins drive away from the house. Not exactly in the immediate area. I thought also of special delivery but then reconsidered hearing about other's stories of how the bags were thrown to the ground and ripped open. If we didn't come out to the front door fast enough or we were out at the time of delivery, who knows how many of the strays and other creatures would be enjoying themselves dining ala carte.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM

811 posts, read 1,547,933 times
My dog was on Kirkland and didn't always eat it all or not at all. I have nothing against it, my dog just didn't like it. Now I have him on Victor's and he eats every bite and better yet, no more gas! It has a really good reputation but I don't know if it is in your area. It is also nowhere near as expensive as the other premium foods.

Victor Super Premium Dog Food

Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,104,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Hi Stan, thanks for replying. If you don't mind, what were you using prior to that?
We used to use Purina Pro Plan chicken w/ the probiotics with no apparent issues but then I got into all this reading about different brands and started experimenting.
Nothing. Started on Wellness puppy and moved on to Wellness 5.

We learned from our older dog that Purina and that sort of product that has corn, etc, as its first ingredient lead to allergic reactions/skin problems, blah blah blah blah. From puppyhood! Our older dog wound up on a prescription diet (you want expensive, try 80 bucks for an 18 pound bag). So we don't want to repeat our mistake.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,457,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I have been doing alot of reading on the internet, that's how I got into the experimenting phase. I only wish that I had the dog's opinion, more so. All the "good" food that's out there doesn't do much if the dog's aren't into eating it. Just like human food. In a manner of speaking, you can eat all the healthy greens and whatever else is out there but if someone doesn't like to eat like that, because they don't like the taste, you can't make them "go healthy". I'm glad TOTW works for you. I'll keep that in mind. Availability is a key issue as well. I know where I can get the brand dog food, Fromm but it is about a 30 mins drive away from the house. Not exactly in the immediate area. I thought also of special delivery but then reconsidered hearing about other's stories of how the bags were thrown to the ground and ripped open. If we didn't come out to the front door fast enough or we were out at the time of delivery, who knows how many of the strays and other creatures would be enjoying themselves dining ala carte.
You are right about it not doing them any good if they don't like it. Luckily, my girl is not a picky eater. I did write to TOTW when I was considering changing to ask for a coupon for me to try it. They replied that they don't have coupon promotions but asked for my address and they sent me a box with about 10 samples of their kibble at no charge. When I started to change over to TOTW, my dog would pick out the new stuff and leave the Nutro for last. Now I can change between their different recipes with no problems.

I can buy TOTW at Tractor Supply in an emergency but I do prefer to buy my food at Pet SuppliesPlus because if you register for their buying card, they will alert you by email if there is a problem with any product you have purchased from them.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM

567 posts, read 1,008,745 times
I've had Rebel on TOTW for 5 months now. He eats it good and is on a good schedule. I have switched flavors a couple times to change up. He is currently on Salmon and he's a happy young man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs