U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM

66 posts, read 130,231 times

Advertisements

My 4 year old rottigirl has urinated twice on her bed in her sleep. I could tell she fetl bad about it. She is spayed after her first litter with a previous owner when she was 14 month old !!!!!
I did some re- search and found out female dogs have a tendency to develop incontinences after spaying. I still have to see the vet on friday, but she is fine otherwise.
I was told about Phenylpropanolamine and the side efffects are bad.
Is there something natural out there ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,553,767 times
Not sure if this information will help you, but my female "wet the bed" a couple times in her sleep after being put on phenobarb (to control her seizures). Incontinence can be a side effect of the phenobarb. So we put her on Proin and it stopped the accidents in her sleep completely. Then we slowly, over the course of a year, weaned her off the Proin and she has not needed it for years now, no accidents. (We have since also weaned her down to a lower dose of the phenobarb). I do not like using drugs for my dogs (or myself for that matter), so if / when they become "necessary", I start with the prescribed dose and then work with my vet to reduce it to the lowest possible level that's still effective.

As far as natural methods, water intake strategy comes to mind.

Best to you and your Rottiegirl!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,360,793 times
'Spay incontinence" is mostly due to (******* make that female dogs, apparently the proper term gets nannied out here) being pediatrically spayed which probably isn't an issue with your girl.

Chances are it is just a simple UTI and if she takes the prescribed antibiotics, she'll be fine.
I did have a Rottweiler with very bad atopic allergies and a poor immune system; she took the PPL for almost a year but about age three we tapered it off and she never needed it again. From my research at the time, there really were no worrisome side effects from Phenylpropanolamine so I am not sure what you have been reading?

Cranberry extract and a decent diet may help prevent future flare-ups if this is a chronic condition. But a single UTI incident is most often that: happens, give meds, never happens again.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,586,240 times
I know about this one. When our girl was 12, she developed spay incontinence. Our vet had mentioned some side effects of the PPA med, so we started Hallie on an herbal product first. I can't remember the name, something like Incontinence Relief. Well, it made Hallie vomit. After a few doses, she wouldn't even touch her food if I had mixed it in, and Hallie was never one to miss a meal.

The next thing we tried was acupuncture. We got four treatments into a seven treatment series and decided it was a waste of time and money.

So finally, we had to put her on Proin, the PPA medication. SUCCESS!! She had none of the side effects (decreased appetite, hyperacitivity) our vet was worried about. It stopped Hallie's leakage within two or three days. We were completely thrilled with it. But you have to remember, dogs' responses to any medication will vary. Good luck with your girl!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,360,793 times
Proin, right, I was wracking my brains trying to come up with the word! That's what I meant.

Daphne was on it for about a year because of chronic incontinence and several UTIs and after that we decided to go to "as needed." But she never did need it again.

Cranberry extract is supposed to work as a preventative (not a cure) because it promotes shedding of extra cells and bacteria from the urinary tract, so the naughty bacteria don't get a chance to stick and grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or