U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,556,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I just got off the phone with my vet. She confirmed the cost being $300! She also said that the state, or at least our county, wouldn't recognize it anyway. So that's that.

This is a good cause.
Duration of Immunity Study for Rabies Vaccine - Rabies Challenge Fund
With all due respect, your vet seems to be trying to talk you out of a titer and into a vaccination. This really burns me up. They are so slow to change! Maybe you can find a holistic vet in your area and call to discuss your options. Even the vaccine manufacturers are now admitting the efficacy is longer than three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Live and learn.

I'd never heard of having a titer done on a dog.

But, playing devil's advocate here, if the owner commits civil disobedience, isn't it the dog who'll pay the price?

Maybe it's the easy way out-I've had 5 dogs but all but one was a senior. I just got them the shot.
What are the chances your dog will be in a situation where he would risk being quarantined? Think about that long and hard, because in our case, I put that risk at less than one percent. But the chances of them developing an autoimmune disorder, a tumor or some life-shortening condition as a result of repeated jabs of vaccines they didn't need? I put that risk a lot higher.

For me, this was a no-brainer. My husband took some convincing because he wanted us to be legal, and I asked him what good it was being legal if all those vaccines took years off the dogs' lives?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Live and learn.

I'd never heard of having a titer done on a dog.

But, playing devil's advocate here, if the owner commits civil disobedience, isn't it the dog who'll pay the price?

Maybe it's the easy way out-I've had 5 dogs but all but one was a senior. I just got them the shot.

No dog over the age of 8 or 9 should ever be vaccinated unless a titer indicates it's needed. Even many local municipalities are on board with that, even though they require vaccinations for younger dogs. Personally, I wouldn't vaccinate a dog over the age of five. But that's my decision, no one else's.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,817,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
With all due respect, your vet seems to be trying to talk you out of a titer and into a vaccination. This really burns me up. They are so slow to change! Maybe you can find a holistic vet in your area and call to discuss your options. Even the vaccine manufacturers are now admitting the efficacy is longer than three years.
I really like my vet, but as she admits, she is embedded in this system. She is young, so I tried to suggest she look into holistic, she said she'd think about it. She also told me she would respect my decision not to get the vaccine. I am thinking of sending her this book, that I have learned so much from. The Nature of Animal Healing by Martin Goldstein, D.V.M. Great book!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 PM

857 posts, read 1,772,103 times
[quote=TinaMcG;28435577]What are the chances your dog will be in a situation where he would risk being quarantined? Think about that long and hard, because in our case, I put that risk at less than one percent. But the chances of them developing an autoimmune disorder, a tumor or some life-shortening condition as a result of repeated jabs of vaccines they didn't need? I put that risk a lot higher.

For me, this was a no-brainer. My husband took some convincing because he wanted us to be legal, and I asked him what good it was being legal if all those vaccines took years off the dogs' lives?[/quot

Good for you.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I really like my vet, but as she admits, she is embedded in this system. She is young, so I tried to suggest she look into holistic, she said she'd think about it. She also told me she would respect my decision not to get the vaccine. I am thinking of sending her this book, that I have learned so much from. The Nature of Animal Healing by Martin Goldstein, D.V.M. Great book!
I read that Goldstein book 12 years ago, and it cemented the way we care for our own dogs. I don't know if he has updated it or not because he didn't talk about raw feeding except in passing. It would be interesting to know how he feels the raw-feeding movement has changed dogs' health.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM

16,287 posts, read 10,283,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
No dog over the age of 8 or 9 should ever be vaccinated unless a titer indicates it's needed. Even many local municipalities are on board with that, even though they require vaccinations for younger dogs. Personally, I wouldn't vaccinate a dog over the age of five. But that's my decision, no one else's.
Are you saying no vaccinations of any kind? or just rabies?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Are you saying no vaccinations of any kind? or just rabies?
Not parvo, not distemper, not rabies, as long as an annual titer shows they don't need them. They're not going to contract parvo at that age, and the chance of your dog encountering the distemper virus is unbelievably slim to nonexistent. The only thing we consistently gave the dogs was the nasal bordetella vaccination.

And again -- this is my take on the subject. I don't preach to people not to vaccinate. I preach to people to get the facts and then make educated decisions. Unfortunately, many vets are either unwilling or unable to be factual about this subject.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
the ONLY thing i vacinate for is rabies every 3 years and ONLY because its required by law
by LAW every start requires rabies vaccination most make exceptions IF and only if your dog has had a severe previous reaction and your vet has given you a sign off...

SOME municipalities will technically take a titer test result instead of a current rabies vaccination HOWEVER they are technically breaking the law and should something happen that titer test will NOT stand up in court in an incidetn hering your dog can be seized quarenteind and euthanized if not kept up to date by law on rabies vaccinations without some kind of veterinary emergency medical release.

I titer test every 3 years when we o in for rabies for eveything else, the test used to run about $200 per dog with office visit included, which given the cost of an office visit and vaccines under normal circumsances ended up being about the sme price (rabies alone was $52 + office visit plus "disposal fee" of $20 at al our local clinics in CT) add in other vaccines and we were easily over $200 for a routein vac visit anyway so it made o difference.

ive been running titers since the practice began...and thus far every dog in has come up as unessicary to revacinate...
BUT we still boost rabies because it is required and lord forbid something happen we want to be able o provide CURRENT lisencing and rabies vacination info for legality purposes, it CAN be the difference betweenlife and death in a bite case.

in terms fo other vacinations...
every person ad every dog is different.
MY dogs are house dogs, they dont go outside unspervised they play in a fenced yard they are walked on leash and we dont go to the dog park (there isnt one) sociliation with strange dogs is minimal at best and usually in a controled indoor environment (training class ect)
they got their basic 5 as puppies and a 1 year booster, but adult immunity renders most of the nasties (assuming a normal HELTHY adut dog) nill anyway (kinda like how ctch a cold as an infant or elderly person it could kill you but for an adult its barely an inconvenience)

i never give lepto (a disese spread primarliy by mouse uring contaminated drinking water (my cats keep the house mouse free and i dont let my dogs drink from unknown standing water/water disehs ect.) however someone with hunting dogs kept yer round outoors/in kennels may consider it due to the risk of their dogs being exposed to mouse urine..
(lepto is also the biggest bad reaction vaccine in toy breeds, itsbeen known to kill)

I never give bordatella (kennel cough) its practically useless in ALL situations lol

and the other core 5 are very LOW risk if contracted by a healthy adult dog so to me the benefits of the vaccine just dont outweight the risks associated...
and each individual NEEDS to make that desicion for themselves, the internet is filled with information on vaccines, vacine reaction ect...
the current standard is the jean dodds protocal (which is a 3 yarly schedual for cores) but it changes every few yers as ore info comes out and reaserch is one and laws change ect...
so dr such and such whos been in practice 30 years wont have the same scholing as dr so and so who graduated 8 months ago...

i dont think its so muhc a case of vets being unwilling, but i do think vets are being taught core curriculum in school and unless they specifically do their own independant reaserch or go specialty they simply dont know...

Old 06-17-2014, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 636 times
Several of you are both right and wrong. You can choose the titer instead of rabies. It is not legal rabies coverage in some states (I live in Texas, where the rabies vaccination is legally required and titer cannot replace it.)
One wrong comment is that the dog would pay with quarantine. If a dog in Texas without rabies vaccination proof bites someone, the dog will pay with his life. He will be killed, and the head sent for testing. If your dog stays at home with no possibility of getting loose, it is your choice. You are trading one possible health risk for a certain death risk and that is your choice. My dogs will always be vaccinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or