Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times

Advertisements

We found out yesterday that our 6 year old saint Bernard has Lymphoma. He has currently lost about 3olbs and is not eating or drinking. The doctor suggested 7k in chemo and putting him on steroids. I worry about his quality of life and also the expense.

Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
I have no experience with this, nor suggestions to help you. But wanted to give you a {{hug}}

Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM

297 posts, read 502,412 times
I am so sorry. I have had 2 dogs with cancer, but not lymphoma. It's a tough route no matter which way you go, chemo or palliative care. There's no easy answer, but whatever you do for your dog will be the right choice. Hugs and well wishes.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
You have a young dog but that money and chemo not sure I would do it.
My best to you and your dog, me I would not have that money.
the rest I did read the life time on meds will be a dog always wishing water
and that drug is not great for the liver etc.,
also 7K for most with this is hard. and if you do it the quality your dog in life would have?
I would also guess if a dog will not eat, and water why ever would a vet put the dog into chemo
etc., get a new vet who cares morefor your dog and not the 7K if your dog is that ill noway will a milliom dollars help.

I do have a dog over age 12 and really did think I would never have her home, yes I do thanks to a kind vet.
However she will drink water and eat food. the bad i am up late and her going out.

Last edited by maggiekate; 02-28-2013 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times
What Maggiekate says makes a lot of sense to me.

I just looked up life span for St. Bernard, it says 8-10 years. My 45 lb dog is currently 11; so they're somewhat "equivalent" in age as I expect my girl to live at least another few years. If she were to be stricken with cancer now, I wouldn't opt for surgery/chemo/radiation, etc. In addition to the expense, I'd be putting her through some rough months of treatment. I couldn't do that to her. I would look into what I could do to make her more comfortable and when that stops working, we would cry a river of tears as we put her to sleep.

I'm no vet but given that your dog has already lost 30 lbs(!), it sounds like his cancer is at a pretty advanced state.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your pet.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I found a website that may help you understand what chemo for a dog might look like day to day. Treatment for Dogs With Cancer - Choosing Chemotherapy
I had a boxer, he lived to be 16+. When he was about 8 he had cancer surgery, several tumors removed an he had a wonderful life for several more years.
However, my daughter's St. Bernard was very ill last year an ha to be put to sleep he was 8 years old. It does have some bearing on your decision the life expectancy for a St. Bernard after 8 is not long.
I know this is a hard time and I will be praying for your family. Best to you.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Thank you all for the positive thoughts. Whatever we decide it will not be an easy decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs