U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times

Advertisements

The last few days we've seen a big yellow dog hanging around the elementary school, acting really scared. The principal is very intolerant of dogs, so my daughter and I have been trying to get near this dog and see if we could take him home and look for his owner, before the principal ended up calling animal control.

Today the dog let us get about ten feet from him, so we went home and got the dog treats and came back. We offered him some, and soon he was eating out of our hands. We hadn't brought a leash, so we started walking back home, calling him and giving him a treat every few steps. We were passing the entrance to another neighborhood when he went that way, ran to a house, started scratching at the front door and at the doors of their cars, and whining at their front door. We waited across the street to see what would happen. The front door opened, and a man came out with a broom and started yelling at the dog to get lost. He went back inside, we called the dog over to us, and then my daughter went and knocked on the door to ask if it was their dog. A woman came outside and the dog got really excited, got away from me, ran over and jumped up on the woman. She said it wasn't their dog and they'd never seen it before. I asked if she had a piece of rope or a leash that we could borrow. She said sure, opened her car, dragged the dog out when he jumped into the car, and then brought out a leash that matched his collar. She even said, "Oh look, it matches his collar...but that's not my dog." I told her I'd return the leash that afternoon, and she said, "You don't have to, I don't have dogs anymore," and then asked if we were going to take the dog home. I told her I usually rehome strays on Craigslist but that this dog looks mean, so I would have to be really careful that he didn't go to the wrong kind of person who would use him for bait to train fighting dogs. She said, "Well, I have to go to work now," and went back in her house.

That poor dog sat on the sidewalk and just cried and cried. Pretty soon my daughter was crying too. Eventually we got the dog to start walking, and took him home with us.

I'm really sure that was his house and they just decided they didn't want him anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,620,346 times
My gosh, that poor pup! What awful, AWFUL people they are!

My heart breaks for him, but my heart smiles for him too because of you and your daughter.

Are you going to keep him?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,543,818 times
Oh God, this is the saddest thing I have read in such a long time! Is the dog very old? I really hope he can find security and love in a new home!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Some people suck! If they are indeed his owners it sounds like he will be better off without them.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM

I think he's about a year old, judging from his teeth. He looks like a boxer/pit mix, very muscular but compact at the same time. He has six toes on each of his back feet.

I have two dogs already which is the most my HOA allows. My neighbors on either side each have three big dogs, so I know they're not going to tell on me if I have an extra for now. This dog isn't neutered, and I have a female (she's spayed, thank goodness), so we just learned a lot more about the anatomy of an unaltered male dog than we ever wanted to know, when we tried to introduce the two.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
That's a horribly sad story. People can be so hard hearted.
When you say he has 6 toes on his back feet, do you mean he has double dewclaws? That would give a clue as to breeds. Anyway, bless you for working to build his trust and coming to his rescue!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM

315 posts, read 482,257 times
That is a very sad story, but thank you for taking the dog That is extremely kind of you!

As for the people, that dog remembered them for one reason or another, he HAD to be there dog. How completely heartless. There is a special place in Hell for people like that.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Here he is:

He has a long tail, it was wagging fast in the picture so it didn't show up. You can see all the toes on his back foot.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 10,262,399 times
what an absolutely handsome dog!

If you can't keep him, I hope you find the perfect home for him.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 AM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The last few days we've seen a big yellow dog hanging around the elementary school, acting really scared. The principal is very intolerant of dogs, so my daughter and I have been trying to get near this dog and see if we could take him home and look for his owner, before the principal ended up calling animal control.

Today the dog let us get about ten feet from him, so we went home and got the dog treats and came back. We offered him some, and soon he was eating out of our hands. We hadn't brought a leash, so we started walking back home, calling him and giving him a treat every few steps. We were passing the entrance to another neighborhood when he went that way, ran to a house, started scratching at the front door and at the doors of their cars, and whining at their front door. We waited across the street to see what would happen. The front door opened, and a man came out with a broom and started yelling at the dog to get lost. He went back inside, we called the dog over to us, and then my daughter went and knocked on the door to ask if it was their dog. A woman came outside and the dog got really excited, got away from me, ran over and jumped up on the woman. She said it wasn't their dog and they'd never seen it before. I asked if she had a piece of rope or a leash that we could borrow. She said sure, opened her car, dragged the dog out when he jumped into the car, and then brought out a leash that matched his collar. She even said, "Oh look, it matches his collar...but that's not my dog." I told her I'd return the leash that afternoon, and she said, "You don't have to, I don't have dogs anymore," and then asked if we were going to take the dog home. I told her I usually rehome strays on Craigslist but that this dog looks mean, so I would have to be really careful that he didn't go to the wrong kind of person who would use him for bait to train fighting dogs. She said, "Well, I have to go to work now," and went back in her house.

That poor dog sat on the sidewalk and just cried and cried. Pretty soon my daughter was crying too. Eventually we got the dog to start walking, and took him home with us.

I'm really sure that was his house and they just decided they didn't want him anymore.
What a way to bring tears to someones eyes. I am so glad you got him to come to your house. What are you going to do with him? You know, if people decide for whatever reason and it can happen, they can't keep a pet, either find a rescue group or try and take it to a non kill shelter. If that isn't possible, take it to the humane society. It is better to see them put down (God forbid) than ignored, just to get hit by a car or whatever...My heart goes out the litle guy and good for you. You deserve the medal of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs