U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,639,849 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Artie is nine and half years old. He's a Lab/Corgi/Beagle mix and weighs 38 pounds. He's always been healthy and I'd like to keep it so. (There was an earlier thread started today, about how you've kept your dog happy and healthy for a good long life, that reminded me that I'd wanted to ask this question.)

I know that it's been discussed on the forum before but, in searching, I found that the conversations got diluted and so I couldn't get a firm answer on this.

In terms of "meds" (if you can call them that), Artie gets his monthly heartworm "treat" and his application of Avantix flea and tick goop. Regarding food, Artie is a finicky bugger -- he gets Taste of the Wild (venison/bison) with all sorts of "stuff" on top to make it palatable for him (shredded chicken breast, green beans, one little piece of hot dog cut up into teeny-tiny pieces, etc...) and, for treats, he gets some chicken tenders and liver nuggets during the course of the day.

I've had Artie since he was four years old and I always let the vet decide what vaccinations Artie should have.

He never has to get the kennel cough shot because he's never boarded, nor does he interact with other dogs (his choice ).

I know that he *must* get his rabies shot so that he can be registered with the city. That's fine.

But as far as the other stuff is concerned, I'm at the mercy of a vet to make the decision. I don't think that's right -- *I* should make this decision for Artie.

I'm referring to things like:

- 5-in-1 DHLPP (distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parainfluenza, parvo) -- absolutely required?

- Lyme -- I've read that this is silly; that it's not serious for a dog like it is for a human and, that for a dog, it's one fast round of antibiotics... IF they contract Lyme Disease (which is highly unlikely if you're not running around in a wooded area) -- your thoughts?

I don't have Artie's paperwork in front of me, but I think that there are a few others that he gets. I might be wrong and confusing "a list" with the 5-in-1.

Anyway, I'd love to know what vaccines YOU give your dog... and don't give your dog.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,111,385 times
IF you have the money you can have titers run but it's a chunk of change to do so. I haven't done them myself but I've heard it can be around $300.00. Then, based on the results you can just do whatever vaccines are needed, if any.

We're seeing a lot more cases of Lymes in this area. My oldest guy came down with it. The bloodwork sent to the lab at Virginia Tech Vet School to check for it ran $190.00. The vet and I agreed that he should go on the Doxycycline for 30 days ($27.00) and in just a couple of days he was back to his old self.

Several of the vets around here are now recommending that we apply flea and tick preventative every 3 weeks, not once a month. That would mean 5 more doses a year but that's still cheaper than dealing with Lymes if you do the lab work.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,650,126 times
Personally D- I would still have Artie on the DHLPP. Skip the Lymes and definately skip the Bordetella (kennel cough). I usually wait until our dogs are 11 or 12 before I start to assess what vacs to skip. We don't "socialize" but even going to the vet can put Artie at risk.

You DO have a say in what vacs your dog gets. The vet (other than rabies) can only recommend - not dictate. As long as you aren't boarding Artie or taking him to the dog park, there are no requirements on what others to get.no one has a say in what vacs you have him take.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Zugor -- If I'm going to put him through the stress of the vet visit and needles, I might as well have him vaccinated. If the titers come back showing that he needs the vac(s), then it would just be ANOTHER vet visit and ANOTHER needle. So, no, not an option for my furry buddy. Thanks, though. And thanks for letting me know about the flea and tick thing. That sucks -- Artie's not a fan.

Cat -- Check your FB messages. Thanks for letting me know that the DHLPP should be given. I'm fine with that. And the rabies. And I have no problem refusing a vet's "recommendation" -- none at all. My money, my dog, my foot down.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,310,538 times
It really depends, in part, on what is prevalent in your area.

I'm a vaccination minimalist but the DHLPP won't hurt.
My vet recommends it every three years up to age ten. I personally do not do anything but rabies as legally required every three years and I have had dogs titered (via Cornell) and they are always fine. But titering is a sort of confusing art.

You absolutely, definitely do not have to DHLPP every year.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,342,141 times
DHLPP (distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parainfluenza, parvo). I had one of my old vets recommend that these shots be administered every other year, that yearly was not needed. When we had our old girl still with us that is the way she was treated and I did not have a vet argue with me about that. You may want to google that tho for the pro's and con's.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It really depends, in part, on what is prevalent in your area.

I'm a vaccination minimalist but the DHLPP won't hurt.
My vet recommends it every three years up to age ten. I personally do not do anything but rabies as legally required every three years and I have had dogs titered (via Cornell) and they are always fine. But titering is a sort of confusing art.

You absolutely, definitely do not have to DHLPP every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
DHLPP (distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parainfluenza, parvo). I had one of my old vets recommend that these shots be administered every other year, that yearly was not needed. When we had our old girl still with us that is the way she was treated and I did not have a vet argue with me about that. You may want to google that tho for the pro's and con's.
Thank you, both of you. Good information for me to have and be armed with. I will certainly google it, cassy1, before Artie's next annual vet visit.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM

4,706 posts, read 10,134,819 times
I do the DHLLP every 3 years to my adults dogs and my vet uses the 1 yr vaccine as he says when he has run titers at 3 years most dogs are still ok. I think there is a newer 3 yr vaccine out too but if the 1 yr lasts at least 3 years why give the 3 yr? They get the rabies every 3 years as required by law. And my dogs are around other dogs every day as they do have busy social life They only get the Bordetella if I plan to board them and that is only because it is required but my feelings on Bordetella is it is not a deadly disease and there are so many strains that even if you do get the shot your dog can still get it so I do not do it unless I have to to board.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I do the DHLLP every 3 years to my adults dogs and my vet uses the 1 yr vaccine as he says when he has run titers at 3 years most dogs are still ok. I think there is a newer 3 yr vaccine out too but if the 1 yr lasts at least 3 years why give the 3 yr? They get the rabies every 3 years as required by law. And my dogs are around other dogs every day as they do have busy social life They only get the Bordetella if I plan to board them and that is only because it is required but my feelings on Bordetella is it is not a deadly disease and there are so many strains that even if you do get the shot your dog can still get it so I do not do it unless I have to to board.
Oh! Interesting! I think that Artie gets the DHLLP every year. He's definitely adult -- he's almost 10 now -- so in the next couple of days I'm going to dig out his paperwork and see what's what. If he just got his DHLLP, then I'm going to speak with his vet at his next annual about doing it every three years instead of every year.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,310,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh! Interesting! I think that Artie gets the DHLLP every year. He's definitely adult -- he's almost 10 now -- so in the next couple of days I'm going to dig out his paperwork and see what's what. If he just got his DHLLP, then I'm going to speak with his vet at his next annual about doing it every three years instead of every year.

Thanks!
Given the vast amount of literature on the complete lack of reasons to vaccinate annually (look to UC Davis, MSU, Cornell, AAHA, WVHC, and any other veterinary authority) going back over a decade, I personally think that any vet who is still pushing annual vaccinations on their clients is at best uneducated and at worst a complete charlatan. And in neither case, not anyone I want to pay for the welfare of my animals.

For about 20 years, that has been one of my criteria for choosing a vet. If you recommend annual, "kitchen sink" vaccinations, you are off my list as a competent veterinarian, because you are not. Full stop and amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs