U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 PM

2,785 posts, read 1,757,218 times

Advertisements

We recently lost our beloved mixed breed dog. We had him for 13 years and he was perfection. According to various people over the years, he was a Border Collie mix. But he did not look like a typical Border Collie. And he did not have a Border Collie coat. If I give you guys a description of his temperment, can you help me figure out what kind of dog he was? I want to find another dog of similar breeding/temperament.

His temperament (we loved ALL of these traits):

1. A HUGE talker, barker, barked at everything, from people walking on the sidewalk in front of our home, to anyone approaching our car when we were at a stoplight. He could hear the mailman down the street and would start barking. Would bark at anyone knocking on door, walking on his property, etc. When we would be in the car with him and he would spot a mailman's truck down the road, he would recognize the truck and start barking. If I asked him whether he was hungry, he would give me two barks ("yes"). One bark or no bark meant no (i.e., "do you wanna go to the vet"?). If he needed to go outside, he would come into the room and bark, like saying "hey I need to go pee, people!"

2. He did not like other dogs, strangers, kids or cats. Basically he adored us but merely tolerated everyone/thing else.

3. He would tilt his head left and right to listen whenever we talked to him and to noises coming from the TV, computer, etc. He would also howl whenever he heard a siren.

4. Easily trainable to do almost anything. Very smart. Never ever soiled in the house after we trained him. Even if you put a porterhouse steak right off the grill right in front of him, this dog was soooo eager to please us that he would not touch it until we said, "go ahead".

5. Exremely affectionate. Would come over and put his paw on us so that we would pet him. Would follow us around the house and plop down right next to us, even next to the shower when we were bathing. Would give us kisses, etc.

6. Extremely protective but not overly aggressive. He would act out (barking if people came near us) when he was with us, but when we left him at the vet or the groomer, he was a "marshmallow" according to the people there.

7. Extremely intuitive. Would know when we were sad or upset and would come over and lean against us. We would put a bandaid on him or medicine or a heating pad, and he allowed it, almost as if he knew we were trying to help him. Also if someone walked near us and had an arm raised or "looked suspicious" he would lunge at them or start barking, as if he sensed danger. He always barked at, for example, the homeless people on street corners who ask for money. But he would never do that if it was a woman with a stroller walking down the sidewalk, etc.

8. Was never destructive, never chewed a shoe, etc.

9. Loved to chase squirrels, small animals, etc. (until he got very arthritic, etc.).

10. He wasn't a big lover of water but he didn't hate it either. When we took him to the beach he would mostly chase birds and get his paws wet but he wouldn't go all the way into the water.

Here's a pic:

Dog experts: Help me ID this breed!!!-214-005.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,543,818 times
OMG, he was sooooo beautiful! He sounds a lot like our Jimmy, who was a BC-Lab mix, and I always thought he had some German Shepherd in him because he had that kind of strident voice. He sounds absolutely wonderful, and I can relate to how much you missed him. We lost Jimmy two months ago at 14 years. Had him since he was 10 weeks old.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Hi, yeah, thanks for your reply. I cannot tell you how devastated we are.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
First off, please accept my condolences on the loss of your dog. Losing a pet is very difficult.

I know you loved everything about him. Understand that like all people, all dogs are different individuals. And whenever you are ready to add another dog to your family, you need to be ready to accept a different dog for who he/she is. Most dogs will have at least a few challenges - especially in the beginning. Don't set the standards so impossibly high (and trust me, hindsight is generally done with rose-colored glasses - we've all been there) that no dog will ever live up to them. Choose the traits that are the most important and start with those. Then see who your new dog is. He most likely won't be an exact replica of your previous pet but he'll have wonderful traits of his very own. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 PM

Are these traits hard to find or an "impossibly high" standard? My understanding was that Border Collies exhibit many of these personality traits. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

There were many things about our dog that people would say were big negatives (hated people, dogs, kids, etc.), excessively barked, etc. But we loved.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

21,843 posts, read 23,069,424 times
I'd think that "all" of those traits together in one dog will be a challenge - regardless of the breed. Are you looking to get a puppy or adopt an older dog? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but I took it to mean you are looking for a dog that - doesn't particularly like other dogs, barks a lot, never chews anything, never messes in the house, tilts his head when you talk and chases squirrels and is so-so about water, and is easily trainable. My only point is you may very well get a dog that does all of those things - but it may not be readily apparent at the beginning. And he may "never" tilt his head when you talk. Or he may enjoy other dogs. Or water. Just be sure to give him a chance to be him, not your beloved previous pet. For us, we waited for a good 6 mo after losing our previous dog for that very reason.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Border collies do come in a smooth coat too so don't let the fact he did not have a typical border collie rough coat rule out the fact he could be part BC.

I think when you look for another dog you need to not go looking for a replacement of a previous dog as even dogs of the same breed or even same litter can be totally different as just like you they are individuals. People that go out and try to find a dog that is just like the one they lost are often disappointed as there is no way a dog can live up to the memories of a past dog ( we as humans tend to forget the bad stuff and rememeber only the good when we loose a loved one be it dog or human). Having those expectations can get in the way of bonding with a new dog until you let them go. How would you like to be compaired to someone all the time? Many people will stay with a breed they like because there are things they like about the breed but much of what you have listed seems to be more an individual dogs behavior not a specific breed.

My sister drove me nuts when she finally got a new dog after having a collie for 16 yrs as she kept compairing the new dog to him and I kept hearing I don't think this will work out I am going to return this dog. I told her to let go of the old dog as no the new one would never be him..it did take her awhile but now she has a great bond with the new dog. This dog very different then her collie but that is allowing her some new experiences

I think you will be happy if you find a dog that when you meet it you just know it is your dog and then not expect it to be like the previous dog but enjoy it and love it for the individual it is.

I am a person that while yes I do find it sad that dogs have such sort lives I would find it sadder if they lived as long s I did because I would have missed out on knowing all the great dogs I have known and to me that would be the saddest as I have loved each one for its own individual being.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
My condolences on the loss of your dog. It's a very difficult thing to get over. Maciesmom has given you very good answers. The fact is, even your dog's littermates probably didn't have all the same traits as he did. It would be very difficult to name a breed mix that would show these traits. I would go to the shelter, or look on petfinder for dogs that appeal to you, spend some time with them and find one you can bond with. And don't expect him/her to be just like your dog, but its own unique self that you can enjoy finding out about.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM

I appreciate everyone's kind words. Of course I do not expect the next dog to be exactly like my previous dog. But what is the point of studying dog breeds if not to determine and differentiate the temperaments of the different breeds? For example, golden retrievers are known to be great with kids, which is why many parents get goldens. I am sure there are breeds that never bark. I'm sure there are breeds that love other dogs. I would like to stay away from those.

I was just wondering whether any of these traits or some or even most can be attributed to a specific breed.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
Well, my chow chow mix met some of those criteria. Liked her two "brother" dogs she lived with, but never wanted anything to do with other dogs. Devoted to us, didn't really want any other human friends although she came to love my BIL when he moved in with us for awhile. Didn't like cats, lived with one only because I worked hard at settling her in. Never a chewer at all, average barker, average trainability, pretty tuned into us. Did **** her head sometimes. Oh, but HATED water. Shallow puddles, bathtub water, you name it, she'd freak out about it. She sometimes liked to sniff at water outside, but let it touch her precious toes? Never!

ETA I wrote she tilted her head, not in those words though. I wasn't swearing! LOL

Last edited by subject2change; 03-04-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs