Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM

92 posts, read 315,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
I have had this same problem with some rescues (not all). You can even fill out an application and no one gets back to you. If a dog that someone inquires about is already adopted, they don't even bother to let you know. I don't know why they don't even try to fix you up with another dog they have or call/email you to say they have another dog you might like. I never understood this either. Some rescues act like no one is good enough to get one of their dogs and then they complain that they need money because no one adopts their dogs.

Anyway, I go to my local shelters and just wait til the perfect dog for me arrives. They are more than happy to adopt a dog out and for half of what rescues charge.
I've had similar issues with some of the local agencies around here. In addition to the no responses, and some of the hoop jumping, my wife and I have had issues were out fit application was vetted against others. Not only did we have to fit the criteria for what they were looking for, but we also had to be better than other people (that also fit the same criteria). The last three times we found a dog and expressed interest, we were the first suitable (in terms of the criteria they were looking for) adoptees to put in an application. They held the dog for two weeks to gather more applications (it was a great dog, so it got tons of applicants), and we ended up losing the dog each time.

It has become extremely frustrating and even heart breaking to say the least. I can understand the need to find a suitable home for a particular dog is important. It just seems that vetting suitable homes against other suitable homes can be harrowing to potential adoptees.

I work from home 2-3 days/week, and my wife and I both work less than 5 min from home. We also don't have a fenced in yard. If we meet a particular dog's adoption criteria, does this mean we should automatically be "disqualified" in favor of a person who may work from home all the time? Or have a fenced-in yard? Or a family? Even if we are the initial applicant for the given dog?

Last edited by Randmness; 03-07-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
I've had similar issues with some of the local agencies around here. In addition to the no responses, and some of the hoop jumping, my wife and I have had issues were out fit application was vetted against others. Not only did we have to fit the criteria for what they were looking for, but we also had to be better than other people (that also fit the smae criteria). The last three times we found a dog and expressed interest, we were the first suitable (in terms of the criteria they were looking for) adoptees to put in an application. They held the dog for two weeks to gather more applications (it was a great dog, so it got tons of applicants), and we ended up losing the dog each time.

It has become extremely frustrating and even heart breaking to say the least. I can understand the need to find a suitable home for a particular dog is important. It just seems that vetting suitable homes against other suitable homes can be harrowing to potential adoptees.

I work from home 2-3 days/week, and my wife and I both work less than 5 min from home. We also don't have a fenced in yard. Does this mean we should automatically be "disqualified" in favor of a person who may work from home? Or a fenced in yard? Or a family?
You should probably use the word "qualified" v. "vetted" when you write about this topic since in the canine world we use the term "vetting" to mean giving veterinarian care, and it confuses people when you use that term.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Vetting: The process of performing a background check on someone before offering them employment, conferring an award, placing a dog, etc. I think they used the word quite correctly.
The canine world is using the word incorrectly.

Last edited by sinatras; 03-07-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM

I never ever understood why people buy dogs when there are so many unwanted pets in need of a home. This thread perfectly explains why.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Vetting: The process of performing a background check on someone before offering them employment, conferring an award, placing a dog, etc. I think they used the word quite correctly.
The canine world is using the word incorrectly.
Understand, but "when in Rome......" The OP is talking to/about the canine rescue community.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I never ever understood why people buy dogs when there are so many unwanted pets in need of a home. This thread perfectly explains why.
We could not have went to a shelter.

The first three hounds we bought from the breeder was over two and nicely on their way to being hunters.

The breeder would not sell us a puppy until this year......after they have seen our three dogs at "meets" and saw how good they were doing.

Nope....you just can not grab this off a self.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I am serious. I volunteer at a shelter and I know sometimes people are not called back for a variety of reasons. Would love to explain it all to you but don't have time right now. Also, no matter how a person is obtaining a pet, they should go through a lot otherwise they shouldn't bother. Guess why so many pets are in shelters to begin with? Anyway, doesn't sound like you are educated on the matter and I'm truly not trying to offend. This is common. For you to even suggest buying a dog when so many are being euthanized shows how you think so no point in me explaining anyway.

I am offering to help the OP find a dig to adopt and I don't care where they live. All they have to do is ask me. I help people find their lost pets, transport pets for adoption etc....
^^ reps owed once my wand is freed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We could not have went to a shelter.

The first three hounds we bought from the breeder was over two and nicely on their way to being hunters.

The breeder would not sell us a puppy until this year......after they have seen our three dogs at "meets" and saw how good they were doing.

Nope....you just can not grab this off a self.
but driller.... your hounds serve a specialized purpose.... very carefully bred and trained to hunt.... the op and most others in this thread are looking for pets... companion animals....

apples to oranges....

oh... and OP, I can put you in touch with several retriever rescues also.... labrador and golden.....

Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM

92 posts, read 315,915 times
I've always been curious where the indignation against people who purchase a pet, versus rescuing a pet, comes from? If the OP purchases a dog from a respectable breeder, and treats the dog with companionship, how can that really be wrong? Sure, there are inhumane breeders, but it would seem like the fault for the inhumanity lies on them, versus the person that purchases the dog.

Not to play devil's advocate, but the same argument (why do "blank" despite a given cause/disparity/need) can be applied to so many areas of life. Why have a kid, when so many are available to adopt and current natural resources are so limited? Why eat meat, when slaughterhouse animals are treated unfairly and inhumane? Etc etc etc. It's all relative to what each person feels is important to them.

I guess what I'm getting at is...just because rescuing is one person's cause, doesn't mean that everyone shares the same ideals. You can argue the merits (livelihood for some, breed standards, etc) and flaws (some are inhumane, availability of existing dogs in need of homes) of breeders. It sounds like the OP isn't opposed to rescuing, just that it isn't the ultimate factor in their decision.

Just my .02 dollars.

Last edited by Randmness; 03-07-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM

I am actually extremely terrified of ever buying a dog. I cannot even imagine telling someone I bought my dog (which I did not, he's a shelter dog). Because I know that the wave of hate that would fall on me would be swift and fierce. The guilt trip or the brainwashing has really worked on me, because I am too scared of what people would think of me for buying instead of adopting.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
I agree with Randmness. WHERE you get your dog is of no importance and frankly, no one else's business or reason to judge. HOW you take care of, feed, train and give a good life to that dog is what IS important. I am a good person and if I choose to buy my dogs vs rescuing my dog, why is it anyone else's place to judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs