Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times

Advertisements

My mini dachshund has flaky skin towards the bottom of her back area. She's itchy but not too bad. This happened once before and vet gave us pills but I don't want to keep drugging her plus it's not solving whatever the issue is. I think it's just dry skin but don't know. Any ideas? Is there such a thing as doggie body lotion that works well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I've given (orally) canola oil or olive oil to one of my dogs for dandruff, and it took care of it quickly. I gave a capful a day to her and she was about 50 lbs.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Try fish oil. Dogs are meat eaters and meat based oils have a greater bioavailability copared to veggie oils. use generic dandruff shampoo to wash the dog.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
first thigns first, what food are you feeding.
read the ingredients on the bag and if the first ingredient is anyting other than an idetified meat or meat meal (ie chicken, Lamb meal, duck, fish meal ect) its time to switch...
if its got corn or soy you could have found your answer and solve your problem all in one fell swoop.

secondly....
is she on a pill form of GOOD topical flea protection.
itching particularly at the lower back/base of tail area is a VERY VERY common symptom of flea/flea allergy.
check her well for any signs of live fleas, and treat her, do not use off brands, stick to known brands, frontline plus, advantage or k9 advantix, theres also pill forms like vectra, comfortis ect.
if your USUING a topical flea prevnetative try switching to a new one...fleas are becomming resistant to the commonly used products so switch to one not as common in your particular area...ie if your using frontline plus, try k9 advantix, if your using advanti try frontline plus. being newer the pill forms tend to be most effective but some dogs have tummy upsets/side effects from them.
be sure to wash bedding ect a little blaech in the wash and a hot setting will kill most eggs/larvea, and a good spray on house product like enforcer house spray will take care of anything that cant be washed.

thirdly...fish oil.
i personaly will NOT use canola or vegie oil with my dogs, they are not herbiivores and those thigns have so much unk in them.
Go to your local grocery/pharmacy andpick up omera 3 fish oil gell caps. poke a hole with a sewing needle and swirt onto food.
in a pinchid go with krill coconut or olive oil over canola or veggie oil..

and for the itching, oatmeal baths and a mint spray.
you can buy oatmeal shampoo or you can make your own oatmeal bath by putting a 1/2-1 cup of quick oats in an old tight weve stocking and hanging it untder the hot water tap so the hot water runs through it. once the sink/tub is filed with enough wate rto be able to get fairly good coverage (itll be hot) toss the oatmeal stocking tied up into the tub and swish once in a while untill the bath water is baby safe. then soak dog focusing primarily on itchy spots (in her case the butt) if youve got an anti bath dog bits of hot dog or chicken help distract them and make it fun.
rinse with COOL water. (hot/warm water will agrivate the itching.

make your own cooling mint spray by steeping mint leaves in hot water and pouring in a squirt bottle with mist feature. mint is very cooling. (or you cna buy a hydrocortison "hot spot" spray) that will help take the itch out.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Davey-Long-Legs has the same issue.... but the fish oil gives him diarrhea.....

Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
There is a bowel tolerance for fish oil, and you have to find the maximum dose you can give before they get diarrhea. The best one I have found -- and the easiest to give, is Kronch Salmon Oil, which is a liquid in a pump bottle. I get it from Alpha Nutrition online (doggiefood.com). It is more or less odorless, too, much more convenient than cutting into a gelcap and getting that smell all over you. When we got Karma fourmonths ago, her skin was dry, but then, she had been eading Science Diet at the shelter. A much better food and two squirts of this salmon oil each day, and her coat is gorgeous now, with no flakes. And it's winter, when dogs usually get dry skin!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Foxy recommended the fish oil for my kitties and when the first foster pup started having itchy issues, I gave her some and the itching stopped within days. Her adoptive family took her to the vet who recommended they continue the fish oil.

Since then, 2 more dogs later and their coats got nice and soft within days and the kitties - one is a russian blue and his fur returned to feeling like soft clouds and the other's returned to feeling like silk.

The main ingredient/vitamin in fish oil is E - so you can substitute liquid vitamin E for animals that are allergic to the fish oil.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Thanks everyone! I think I'll try the fish oil first. She already eats Blue Buffalo and I read all lables of her food. A few years ago I posted on here about both my dogs licking their paws and it was suggested to change to better food. I switched right away and the paw licking stopped.

I also like the mint spray idea. Thx foxywench!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Foxy recommended the fish oil for my kitties and when the first foster pup started having itchy issues, I gave her some and the itching stopped within days. Her adoptive family took her to the vet who recommended they continue the fish oil.

Since then, 2 more dogs later and their coats got nice and soft within days and the kitties - one is a russian blue and his fur returned to feeling like soft clouds and the other's returned to feeling like silk.

The main ingredient/vitamin in fish oil is E - so you can substitute liquid vitamin E for animals that are allergic to the fish oil.
You cannot go wrong with fish oil, and IMO, salmon oil is the best of them all. It has been shown to be great for heart health, joint health and brain function as well as the obvious benefit of helping with dry skin.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
Rusty my doxie was flea horribly bitten when I found him,his skin was real flaky, I heard about this stuff on the radio called dynobite it cost 36 bucks for a 90 day supply, I just give him 15% of what the instructions call for added to his food every other day (now that his coat is good)and he now has the softest coat no skin problems I don't think he likes the taste too much but wow what it has done to his coat!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs