Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM

98 posts, read 706,683 times

Advertisements

I think we are going to put a smaller version of a temporary pool fence around it. My older kids can swim but our 2 year old cannot swim as well yet; we would never let him out by himself in the yard at this point (we need to watch him every second--even inside the house!) but a dog I would probably like to leave outside from time to time without constantly watching it every second and worrying about it.

Another positive about a lab is they don't mind the snow and colder temps as much either if they need to go outside to go potty. Our lab used to love to run laps around the yard in the snow with a stick in his mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
It's settled. Labs really are great dogs. My children were 5 and 6 when we got ours. He was their best friend for 16 years. Lots of great memories.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
We have a pond and put a fence cover over it. Yours might be too big for this but our pond is deep and we didn't want our dogs or any of our foster dogs to drown.

The first time we visited the house, before moving in, my dog jumped right in the pond. The second time we visited the house he was whining and crying to get in the backyard and take another jump in the pond. At first we just put a net over it to keep the herons from eating the fish and to keep the dogs out. However dogs quickly learned they can walk on the netting and it will sink enough to get paws wet. One time they even managed to catch a koi fish on top of the netting.

Many of our neighbors have ponds also. The labs LOVE them! They chase the fish, chase the tadpoles, try to leap on the frogs etc. You also have to be careful about them damaging the lining. Our front pond isn't very deep and we have had neighbors dogs splashing around it in just for the heck of it.

I agree with the idea of fencing it off. We have fenced off our veggie garden and one tree that one of our dogs thinks interesting things live under so he likes to dig around the roots.

Fence the pond off BEFORE you get the dog. If he knows what fun it is to jump in there then it will be harder to keep him out even with a fence.

Our pond cover is made of metal fencing attached to a metal pole frame that sits over the top of the pond. The pond is surrounded by flagstone so it has a solid surface to sit on. We eventually went with the metal fence pond cover because we started fostering dogs for a rescue and I didn't want to worry they would get through the netting.

You don't mention how active you are or whether the dog will get regular walks/runs away from the house. It think the smaller breeds are better for less active families. Especially those with the shortened nose as they actually can have trouble with high exercise levels. I would avoid all herding breeds (such as Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, cattle dogs etc.) With three active boys and their friends running around a herding breed will likely want to herd them and they do this by nipping at feet/ankles/bottoms.

If you get one that required grooming consider the cost and the frequency. I once had a chow mix who required a $60 haircut every 6 weeks. I got him at 6 yrs old and had him for 10 yrs. This can add up over the life of the dog vs. one that is washable in the tub.

The 2 yr old will be iffy with the dog. They will not be able to be alone together until he is much older and you need to think about how this affects your lifestyle in advance and how you will handle it. Your other two children are at an OK age as long as they understand the dog has feelings and tolerance levels. Your best bet is to get a middle aged dog (5-6 yrs old) with a history and strong love of young children. You can actually see a dog's eyes sparkle if they love kids and they see a kid. Wait until you see this reaction in a dog. I never place a dog with young children unless I see it. Many dogs tolerate young kids. Some don't like them at all. Try to hold out until you find one that absolutely hands down loves your two year old.

You also need to look for a dog that isn't too young and rambunctious such that your kids will tire of them quickly. Your kids may think they want a dog but after being bowled over, had their hands scratched when giving a treat, pushed aside as the dog races around. jumped on and knocked down etc. they often decide they don't really like a dog after all. A six year old dog will likely live as long as your two oldest are at home and up to the point where your youngest is starting to become more involved with peers and isn't going to be that interested in the dog much any more so it is a good age to adopt. They will also usually have perfect house manners and are willing to sleep the hours away when your out of the house.

EDIT: I highly recommend the K-9 prison dog program. They do a really good job training the dogs and matching them with families.
https://www.coloradoci.com/serviceproviders/puppy/

Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
I don't believe Chaos is the mutt you think her to be. I have an English Shepherd...a smaller female. If you look up the breed, you will find many similarities to your dog.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I like bird dogs for children, because they are bred to have a soft mouth. A well bred bird dog will be non--aggressive and will get along well with strangers and with other dogs. They are bred to be easy to train. One of the larger spaniels would be my choice. A Welsh Springer, a hunting style English Springer, a Clumber (5 stars for the Clumber), or a Brittany. Sussex Spaniels are good with kids, but not much chance that you will find one for sale.
My Clumbers can't stay out of my in-laws koi pond! You may find that the case with a lot of the sporting/ birdy breeds.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:31 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
You may want to consider filling in the pond with sand for a good sized sandbox. Lots of people in our neighborhood do it and it is safer for dogs and kids.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,823,070 times
A standard Poodle is a great idea. And not girly/frilly at all---as stated, they were originally bred (and still used, I believe) as hunting dogs. They're also pretty darn smart.

Only thing is, I think they are also water loving dogs, so you may have a poodle in your pond frequently.

Someone mentioned Pugs. Pugs are fantastic kid loving dogs, but an unfenced pond is not a pug friendly environment. They are curious, nosy little creatures, and most have no fear of the unknown---plus they sink like stones.

Can't wait to hear what you decide on!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
You're moving, and you have 3 young children. Make sure if you do get a dog, it is after you settle into your new home. I would warn against getting a puppy or a dog that is not already potty trained. If I were in your position, I'd be looking for a dog currently doing well in a foster home with active children of similar ages as yours. Breed becomes less important when considering a slightly older dog (like 10 months +) because now instead of guessing how the dog will turn out based on breed generalizations, you have a much better idea of whether a particular dog is going to do well with kids and koi ponds. If you want to stay on the small side, some random breeds and mixes that are coming to mind for you are:

Pug or Puggle
Mini Schnauzer mix
Shih Tzu mix

I honestly think you should go with a cute little mutt that clicks with your family and lifestyle. Start looking at Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and you'll find several doggies in your area that might be a perfect fit. From there, pursue the ones that just feel right to you, and fate will take care of the rest.

And remember, your dog will not drown in the koi pond unless he is left unattended. So supervise him when he's outdoors.
I'm fostering for a rescue group and that's where I'd recommend you get your next pup. You can find out a lot about that particular dog's personality from the foster and find a really good fit. It doesn't have to be a breed-specific organization. My first foster was for a lab rescue organization and my current is not. My current is a heinz57 which is what I mostly had all my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I know Denver has breed specific laws against pit bulls and other breeds. Check the town you are moving to, to make sure your selection will be allowed. It's stupid, and we don't allow breed-bashing on C-D, but some cities have not yet caught on that it's the owner that's dangerous, not the breed.
AMEN! I could not rep you again. One of my favorite dogs of my friend is a mastiff mix. He's such a sweetie, just a very big loving clown puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Bully breeds will cannot swim and will drown. Bulldogs, Bostons, Frenchies, etc will sink like a rock in water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Maybe poorly bred ones. I showed Bostons for many years and had one sink like a rock to the bottom of my pond and had to dive in after her, another friend lost one in their koi pond. A poorly bred, BT is built differently and can probably swim well.

Like many bully breeds, they are heavy up front and have weak rear end that cannot keep them above water.
The OP isn't looking for a show dog - which are bred for looks/standards - and not for personality; she's looking for a dog with a certain personality - family/kid friendly and safe. Enormous difference. Personally, I wouldn't give you 2c for a show dog -- I haven't met one I liked and I love cats and dogs.

All my dogs could swim. Of the mixes I've had, the ones with a lot of lab were great when my boys were growing up - as was the irish setter/golden retriever mix - she was best with the younger ones and did her own version of herding but without the nipping that a herding dog cannot help but do - it's how they herd. The one mostly beagle was my dog - she liked to hang around me, keep me company - didn't use a leash for her the last 10 years of her life - she didn't leave our property, literally at my side.

Recommendations - setter/retriever/lab/poodle if you are all active - hiking, jogging; outdoors stuff; beagle mix - if you're not home all day/both parents working. I haven't owned pinschers but my vet did - and I was friends with the family. I really liked their dogs.

I do NOT recommend: herders - collie, etc - consider the amount of time you need for grooming as well as the herding instinct; toys/minis; really huge dogs - not because they are bully breeds (I hate that term) but because they will eat you out of house and home when you have 3 boys who will soon be doing that without having a dog eating more than an army as well.

Good luck and enjoy your new family member, whatever it is. BTW, when you choose,

WE WANT PICS

Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
The OP isn't looking for a show dog - which are bred for looks/standards - and not for personality; she's looking for a dog with a certain personality - family/kid friendly and safe. Enormous difference. Personally, I wouldn't give you 2c for a show dog -- I haven't met one I liked and I love cats and dogs.
Show dogs are bred to conform as close as possible to the breed standard. This breed standard always includes temperament or personality. Just like coat type or head size, temperament differs from breed to breed.

A German Shepherd Dog should be direct and fearless, but not hostile.

A Maltese should be gentle mannered, yet lively and playful.

An Irish Terrier should be good tempered, spirited and show fire and animation.

A Clumber Spaniel will be gentle, loyal, and affectionate, yet may be aloof with strangers.

When choosing dogs, the judge takes into account all aspects of the breed standard and selects accordingly.

So, a well-bred dog, from champion lines will possess the temperament traits characteristic to that specific breed. It is one of the reasons that many people choose to purchase pure bred dogs from reputable breeders.

For someone to say that dog shows are "all about looks" indicates that someone is very ignorant of the conformation process.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Not sure why many insist of not getting a puppy?

True, it is a lot of work -- but the OP are not the first-time dog owners. Unlike myself, who got a Lab puppy for the first time in my life, a year ago, when the kids were 7 and 8. Yes, the first 6 months were excruciating -- personally for me --- as I was going through a sort of a culture shock, from zero experience to learning about the dog world.

But for the kids it was a valuable experience to learn how dogs grow from puppyhood. Similarly, even as we were having 3 adult cats already, I got a kitten and it was a blast for the kids to learn about how kittens turn into adults.

The only minus of sorts is, that this our Lab will, for the foreseeable future, be my and my only responsibility - the kids at 8 and 9 are still too small to manage his 100-lbs fun -- and he still is a fairly young child-dog. But if I already knew all of this, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Lab puppy with all the sweetness and love that they bring to the family.

Last edited by nuala; 03-20-2013 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs