Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,102,374 times

Advertisements

I have fostered scores of dogs. probably over 100 at this point in my life. I would never allow a dog (or cat) to go out intact.

I have owned many dogs. Some have stayed intact for years; I have one intact dog in my home right now.
I know many people who show and work (as I used to) and thus often keep intact dogs. Without breeding. Shocking, I know.

Bottom line: we as a society practically mandate desexing of dogs and cats, NOT because it prevents "unwanted litters" or "overpopulation."
It is really not that difficult at all, if you're half-azzed knowledgeable, and observant, to prevent copulation between animals in your care, for a week or two per year.

But now that pet ownership has become a fetish, almost everyone has the right and ability to own a dog, and apparently many of these dog owners, including all the people who otherwise are responsible in life, suddenly decide that although they are responsible for every single decision in their dog's life from birth to death, have bought into the notion that they are incapable of managing their dog's urges for a couple of weeks out of the year.

And not only that, these incapable dog owners are apparently the PC gold standard and people we all should emulate?

Go for it, but not I....

Last edited by chiroptera; 03-07-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,308,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I have fostered scores of dogs. probably over 100 at this point in my life. I would never allow a dog (or cat) to go out intact.

But now that pet ownership has become a fetish, almost everyone has the right and ability to own a dog, and apparently many of these dog owners, including all the people who otherwise are responsible in life, suddenly decide that although they are responsible for every single decision in their dog's life from birth to death, have bought into the notion that they are incapable of managing their dog's urges for a couple of weeks out of the year.

And not only that, these incapable dog owners are apparently the PC gold standard and people we all should emulate?

Go for it, but not I....
Hey there, Chiro, nice to see you here. What's this about those urges for a couple of weeks a year? We had an intact female family dog years ago, because we were too ignorant to think of spaying her and no one really pushed it. She had heats twice a year for most of her 12 years...and they were 3-4 weeks a crack. OMG, I would never want to deal with that again. We must have been nuts. And yeah, cancer took her.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,608,180 times
In a perfect world every pet owner would be responsible...but this is far from a perfect world...until the day arrives that a dog or cat doesn't spend his life in a cage or go to a kill shelter,all pets should be spayed/nuetered.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Hey there, Chiro, nice to see you here. What's this about those urges for a couple of weeks a year? We had an intact female family dog years ago, because we were too ignorant to think of spaying her and no one really pushed it. She had heats twice a year for most of her 12 years...and they were 3-4 weeks a crack. OMG, I would never want to deal with that again. We must have been nuts. And yeah, cancer took her.
Ahh...!

I admit I see more benefit in waiting a bit with males (I have Rottweilers and the study Randmness cites is very well known) so the I've only delayed with two of my girls for one heat each before spaying. With my vet's full approval. There's an ongoing study out there (if someone asks, I'll go looking for it) that strongly correlates extreme longevity with intact byotches. And the ones that succumb early to mammary cancer are an extremely tiny percentage (look at Randmness's study and follow links...the mammary cancer correlation has been wildly over-dramatized.)

Maybe I had it easy because each girl was really only serious and "hello sailor" flagging for a few days although the heat itself lasted 2-3 weeks. Also easier for me because the males in the house at each time were neutered. Although, ask me about the time someone's Great Dane soaked my entire back after he became enamored with my JRT cross and forgot his manners....!!

I do have several friends who actively work and show, so have intact dogs and byotches in the same household. Lots of crate and rotate for a week or three a couple of times per year.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
In a perfect world every pet owner would be responsible...but this is far from a perfect world...until the day arrives that a dog or cat doesn't spend his life in a cage or go to a kill shelter,all pets should be spayed/nuetered.
This is why people involved in rescue, such as I, whole-heartedly endorse de-sexing all pets to be adopted, even if that means pediatric speutering.

But if in a "perfect world" all cats and dogs would be sterilized, then in about ten years, 20 max, there would be absolutely NO dogs or cats left in the world and we would be a dogless or catless society.

Is that really what we want?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,608,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This is why people involved in rescue, such as I, whole-heartedly endorse de-sexing all pets to be adopted, even if that means pediatric speutering.

But if in a "perfect world" all cats and dogs would be sterilized, then in about ten years, 20 max, there would be absolutely NO dogs or cats left in the world and we would be a dogless or catless society.

Is that really what we want?
I thought this post was about shelter animals...not resposible pet owners and breeders...that's not what I meant...having just enough pets that each one has a loving
home and not on the street or in a cage!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I thought this post was about shelter animals...not resposible pet owners and breeders...that's not what I meant...having just enough pets that each one has a loving
home and not on the street or in a cage!
I absolutely agree with you on that basic premise.

Did you read the link in the OP, or any of the subsequent links provided?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM

You cracked me up there, Chiro. Byotches, indeed!
Hello, sailor!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
You cracked me up there, Chiro. Byotches, indeed!
Hello, sailor!
LOL well it's either that or writing out "female dogs" which is like being forced to type "vah jay jay" or "pee pee" for something that is an otherwise perfectly correct clinically and dictionary term.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 AM

Yeah, forum moderators can be pretty uptight sometimes. Really cramps my style...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs