Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

I think this thread needs to be re named..."weirdest thing dog owners do...".

Sam had three balls, all the same from Petco. A red one, a yellow one, and a blue one. Same type of rubber. He ignored the blue and red balls. And only would play with the yellow one. Carried it around in his mouth all day, alternatively chewing it or playing with it. He would drop it at anyones feet...and make big "puppy eyes" to play.

Sad, when he got older, I would throw his ball across the living room, maybe 10 feet. He would look at me, and his ball, and make a big drama of "having to get up", sighing and shuffling, get his ball, and drop in a big huff. Then, he would "protect it", so I would not throw it again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 AM

68 posts, read 171,992 times
My yorkiePoo taught my Hubby how to play while he watches TV Penny will put her long rope toy on his foot and bark at my Hubby to flick it in the air. Then she happily catches it & "kills it" (as I call it lol...this involves lots of head whipping). Then Penny puts it back on his foot to start all over. She invented this game herself. Silly pup!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When my hound wants to go outside, he sits on the small area rug in front of the front door. This is completely illogical. We don't take him out the front door. We take him out the backdoor. We are rarely in the region of the front door. It's an isolated part of the house. As a result, it's sort of a secret he wants to go outside until we accidently happen upon him sitting there. How do we know this is what he wants? If he goes long enough undiscovered, he will bark. When we come looking for him to see why he's barking, he'll go charging across the house to the back door. Why doesn't he just sit at the back door? Why doesn't he just always bark when he wants to go outside. This is just one of the many mysteries of our hound's mind.
We have a brilliant Pit Bull we adopted/rescued about 7 years ago and she is so smart it scares us. Here are some of the strangest of behaviors:
1. When I say "Where's Daddy"...Daddy will be on the couch and she runs and looks out the front windows??
2. We can't say ride, bye bye, car or anything else that pertains to going in the vehicles..she goes nuts. Spins in circles. I have to say 'Lets go get your collar" and she stops.
3. She jumps from one scatter rug to another and never hits the flooring..bunches herself up in a little black ball and launches herself.
4. She has her own "blanket" and will get under it, twist around and end up buried. I thought a couple of times I had lost her.
5. If I have gone out and have not taken her, she won't come when called and sits with her back turned towards me.

All I can say is Thank You to the idiot who left this sweet little girl tied to a dumpster with no food or water. The dog wardens rescued her and I took her home!! Oh, her name is Alice and she is the love of my life.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's so cute!

It reminds me of how I can't take a bath without active participants. Every time I'm filling the bathtub with water, they come running.
My maltese does this too! She comes running as soon as she hears the water running! She wants me to set her on the side of the tub, so she can drink from the faucet, then she'll lay down on the tub's edge during my bath. And yes, she has fallen in a couple of times!

Quote:
OMG, speaking of audiences. When hubby and I would have sex, our Labrador would sit on the floor at the end of the bed and rest his chin on the bed staring at us. That was an improvement over when he was younger and would bark at us the entire time.
Every now and then Lily will do something weird with her food bowl. If she doesn't want to eat her food right away, she'll get her blanket and tug on it with her mouth to place the blanket over her food. She'll tug and tug until she is satisfied that the food is sufficiently hidden!

I saw something cute on America's Funniest Videos last night. The dog owner was trying to get her border collie to come outside through an open door. This door has previously been screened, so the dog didn't understand that it was now an open pathway. That dog would NOT walk through that door frame! It would pick up its paw and poke at where the screen used to be, and puzzle about what was going on. But no way was it going to walk through!

Thanks Hopes for starting this thread!! Awesome!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I had two sticks of butter on the counter (to soften for baking). Unbeknownst to me, Kona snuck in and stole them and buried them in the backyard. I thought I was losing my mind...I knew I took the butter out...where did it go? I actually asked her and she "led" me outside and showed me where she buried them. WEIRD!
The same thing happened to us with Hallie, during her brief countersurfing phase. But it was two sticks of garlic butter, and she buried them in her stomach.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I have posted this before but, still it is the weirdest.

Our two labs were in a car......going though the auto-wash.

At the end.....they BOTH shook off as if they were wet.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
I have a butter story as well- this dog is no longer with us. I left butter out to soften for cookies- it was 1lb block. I was very pregnant at the time and went for a quick nap. I was woken up by a burp and my dog staring at me. He ate the whole brick of butter, paper included.
I had another dog that could open sliding glass doors. She learned that she could stand with her front laws on the door and slide to the side, catch the frame and wa-la! Door open enough for her to stick her nose between and push it enough to fit through.
I now have a Jack-Rat terrier. She is all around weird and silly. But what is most weird about her, she LOVES her clothes. I used to make fun of people who dressed up their dogs. Then I got a Jack Russell terrier who shivered in our cold winters so I got her a sweater. This was my now dogs grandmother. She tolerated sweaters because they kept her warm, but getting it on her was a task. Now her grand-daughter, the Jack Rat has a full wardrobe and will pick out what she wants to wear. If its really cold, we can tell her to get her jacket and she runs over to the basket and pulls her jacket out and runs back to us and throws it at us, takes a step backwards and stares at us. She lifts her legs to go into the arm holes and all.
She's a really smart dog and is a constant source of amusement.
And like others have said- there are certain words that cannot be said or she will run to the door and spin in circles (cannot say or even spell the word 'go').
And she huffs. We make fun of her, doing it back to her when she does it. She just looks at us like we are nuts.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have posted this before but, still it is the weirdest.

Our two labs were in a car......going though the auto-wash.

At the end.....they BOTH shook off as if they were wet.
This one had me laughing out loud for real.

I used to have a lab that loved to play frisbee. We kept it on top of the refrigerator, and he would sit for hours on end just staring at it. One day it accidentally went over the fence into the woods. I didn't feel traipsing around the woods at the time looking for it, so we went back in the house and got another frisbee. I completely forgot, but apparently my dog didn't. About a week later he got out through the front door while I was bringing in groceries. He immediately ran to the woods behind the house and came right back with his missing frisbee.

Now I have two huskies that are an endless source of amusement. The older one taught the younger how to toss her own tennis ball into the air and catch it. (It's not quite as funny when they toss it into the tv or the mirror)

Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
One of my wife's chihuahuas will take the food out of the bowl, drop the piece on the ground, then pick up the piece, walk away, chew and swallow it. Then come back and do that whole routine a few times. Pick, drop, pick, walk, chew, swallow.
Then randomly will stop and just finish what's in the bowl. Huh?

My smooth collie (who loves the pool but hates baths - will actually jump into our swimming pool to avoid a bath) will run away if you turn on our walk-in shower but will come dashing in if you run the bath - especially if there are bubbles. And then she eats the bubbles. What? Like I cannot get her anywhere near the bathroom if the shower is running (and I DON'T GIVE HER SHOWERS), but she's practically jumping in the bathtub.

Both my smooth and rough would guard the frisbee if they were tired and didn't want me to throw it again. What's that about? How about if you're tired, you still bring it back to me, but if I throw it, you don't go after it? Nope. If it's thrown, it MUST be chased and caught, so the only answer to fatigue is keeping the frisbee away from me.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
The food out of the bowl thing- my first Jack Russel would do that. She would scoop up a mouthful and then take it away from the bowl and drop it then eat one piece at a time.
I don't know the history of your wife chihuahua, but for my dog I had always thought that she did that because where she came from, she was fed in a community bowl with 4 other Jacks. Those were jerk dogs and she wanted no part of it, so she grabbed what she could and would eat away from the group in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs