U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,424,737 times

Advertisements

When my hound wants to go outside, he sits on the small area rug in front of the front door. This is completely illogical. We don't take him out the front door. We take him out the backdoor. We are rarely in the region of the front door. It's an isolated part of the house. As a result, it's sort of a secret he wants to go outside until we accidently happen upon him sitting there. How do we know this is what he wants? If he goes long enough undiscovered, he will bark. When we come looking for him to see why he's barking, he'll go charging across the house to the back door. Why doesn't he just sit at the back door? Why doesn't he just always bark when he wants to go outside. This is just one of the many mysteries of our hound's mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM

12,450 posts, read 31,568,814 times
Give him a treat when hes at the correct door.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,603,093 times
Well, mine just threw up her dinner under the chair I'm sitting in, so there's that.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,976,322 times
I had two sticks of butter on the counter (to soften for baking). Unbeknownst to me, Kona snuck in and stole them and buried them in the backyard. I thought I was losing my mind...I knew I took the butter out...where did it go? I actually asked her and she "led" me outside and showed me where she buried them. WEIRD!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM

1,403 posts, read 854,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Well, mine just threw up her dinner under the chair I'm sitting in, so there's that.
LOL! I love how you wrote that.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM

1,403 posts, read 854,350 times
I have a two-year-old border collie, and one strange thing he has been doing for the longest time is something I call 'tub-ball'. Whenever I am in the washroom Izzy inevitably follows behind, and if he realizes that I'm going to be in there for a while, he will run into the living room and come back with a ball or stuffed toy. He'll sit there with it for a few minutes, then he'll start his game...he takes the toy, sets it on the edge of the tub, and if gravity doesn't take over and topple it into the tub, he'll push it in with his nose. Then he turns and looks at me as if to say, 'Did you see that? My toy!' If I ignore him he'll wait another minute or so, and then he starts to woof. When I ask him what's wrong he looks at his toy that is lying in the middle of the tub, then looks back at me and woofs again. This will go on and on until I tell him that I am not going to fetch his toy for him, at which point he jumps into the tub, gets the toy and jumps out with it.

Then he turns around and drops it back into the tub, and the whole thing starts all over again.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
I had two sticks of butter on the counter (to soften for baking). Unbeknownst to me, Kona snuck in and stole them and buried them in the backyard. I thought I was losing my mind...I knew I took the butter out...where did it go? I actually asked her and she "led" me outside and showed me where she buried them. WEIRD!
That's wild! My dog would have eaten the butter, wrapping and all. And there's NO WAY he would have shown me where he hid such a prize!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,907,191 times
My malamute pushes her food bowl around with her snout for several minutes before she begins eating.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
I have a two-year-old border collie, and one strange thing he has been doing for the longest time is something I call 'tub-ball'. Whenever I am in the washroom Izzy inevitably follows behind, and if he realizes that I'm going to be in there for a while, he will run into the living room and come back with a ball or stuffed toy. He'll sit there with it for a few minutes, then he'll start his game...he takes the toy, sets it on the edge of the tub, and if gravity doesn't take over and topple it into the tub, he'll push it in with his nose. Then he turns and looks at me as if to say, 'Did you see that? My toy!' If I ignore him he'll wait another minute or so, and then he starts to woof. When I ask him what's wrong he looks at his toy that is lying in the middle of the tub, then looks back at me and woofs again. This will go on and on until I tell him that I am not going to fetch his toy for him, at which point he jumps into the tub, gets the toy and jumps out with it.

Then he turns around and drops it back into the tub, and the whole thing starts all over again.
That's so cute!

It reminds me of how I can't take a bath without active participants. Every time I'm filling the bathtub with water, they come running. They stand up to drink the water pouring out. I have to quickly turn off the hot water. They also love soap. They'll eat it if they can get their paws on it. They sit with their chins on the edge, watching and waiting for the moment soapy water gets on the edge of the bathtub and they'll start licking it. My Labrador would lick soap off my arms, legs, wherever he could reach.

OMG, speaking of audiences. When hubby and I would have sex, our Labrador would sit on the floor at the end of the bed and rest his chin on the bed staring at us. That was an improvement over when he was younger and would bark at us the entire time.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
My malamute pushes her food bowl around with her snout for several minutes before she begins eating.
That's the hunter in her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or