U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM

4,712 posts, read 10,171,009 times

Advertisements

Maybe shaming him will help! Many of you know that my beautiful elegant Dazzle was sick with idiopathic hemmorhagic gastritis and was on IV's a week ago. He is back to normal now and only has one day of meds left. Daz has one disgusting habit that I have mentioned here before and that is poop eating so thinking maybe his taste in snacks was responsible I decided to get him a grey hound basket muzzle with a poop guard on it to stop him from snacking at the dog park. For the past 3 days he has gone to the dog park and the minute he starts his snacking I put his muzzle/poop guard on and he has to wear it until we go home . The other dogs and some people that do not know him look at him like he is Hannibil Lector. Well not to be outdone by me everyday Dazzle goes and finds a nice poop and smashes the poop guard into it then comes to say hello to everyone with poop all over the poop guard. He can clear a group in minutes as everyone backs away and pushes him away. He thinks he is a pretty funny guy so now I am shaming him and put him on the dog shaming page on facebook...maybe that will cure him?? I now do know it probably was not something he ate as I have several coworkers and a couple friends who do not do the dog park that have dogs that recently had the same thing so I think the vet is right it is a virus that is going around..glad Chaos has not gotten it yet and hope she does not get it. But this poop eating has to stop as it maybe normal for dogs but to me it is disgusting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,578,943 times
:eek :

I have no words!!!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 PM

2,837 posts, read 4,153,930 times
That is great! Hope Dazzle learns his lesson.....

Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 PM

8,224 posts, read 14,918,804 times
I have no words. Your dog is not learning anything, IMO, with the muzzle. Consider that dog's behavior is increased with rewards and decreased with negatives which does not mean punishment but may simply be the absence of a reward. In this case, you may inadvertently be rewarding your dog's poop eating by some reaction you give him when he does. Rather than waiting for him to do so, can you not keep him on a leash at the dog park and the moment he begins to sniff poop, insert yourself between him and the poop? By preventing him from eating it, you are presenting him with the negative; i.e. absence of the reward. When he stops trying to get to that particular pile of poop, praise him; rewarding him.

If it isn't possible to prevent him from eating it, remove him from the dog park. This does mean you will need to be more diligent in watching his every behavior until you stop him from doing so.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,838,809 times
LOL sorry for laughing but, I had a dog with the same problem...ugh very very difficult to solve. I never did and I tried just about everything they had on the market and went through all sorts of behavior mod etc. Absolutly nothing worked so I'm laughing with you and feel your errr ahh pain.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 AM

4,712 posts, read 10,171,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have no words. Your dog is not learning anything, IMO, with the muzzle. Consider that dog's behavior is increased with rewards and decreased with negatives which does not mean punishment but may simply be the absence of a reward. In this case, you may inadvertently be rewarding your dog's poop eating by some reaction you give him when he does. Rather than waiting for him to do so, can you not keep him on a leash at the dog park and the moment he begins to sniff poop, insert yourself between him and the poop? By preventing him from eating it, you are presenting him with the negative; i.e. absence of the reward. When he stops trying to get to that particular pile of poop, praise him; rewarding him.

If it isn't possible to prevent him from eating it, remove him from the dog park. This does mean you will need to be more diligent in watching his every behavior until you stop him from doing so.

Thanks for the input but it is obvious you may have never owned a sight hound nor a dog with this issue. According to many " experts" this is considered a normal canine behavior we may find it disgusting but it is normal and not disgusting to a dog. This is one issue that is near impossible to solve. Being a sighthound Dazzle needs to have his run at the dog park or at the leash free wilderness area or the beach and being I do can not run at his speed or anywhere near it there is no way I can be "more diligent in watching his behavior" or I should say stopping it because I am diligent in watching him even having others at the park help which they do does not work as in 2 seconds he can be all the way across the park snacking which he does as he knows I will stop him if he is near me so your suggestions would be impossible.

He can not get the proper exercise on the leash as he really does need a good full speed run. I have consulted various greyhound groups being they are sighthounds and most have said to get him the muzzle with teh poop guard and let him run. If he tries to eat poop no big deal as he will not be able too with the muzzle on , the muzzle can be washed and it is not uncomfortable as a matter of fact he can even drink with it on. He just can not eat poop or grass or other things he finds so the safest thing for a speed demon like him is the muzzle with the poop guard. Most greyhound groups feel that retired racers should be muzzled in a dog park due to the prey drive they have and the fact they were trained using that prey drive . Well Dazzle is fine playing chase off leash as he is not a greyhound nor a retired racer so his prey drive is not as strong but he is a poop eater so if the geryhounds are fine playing with the muzzles on I am sure he is too.

Sighhounds tend to just shut down when they do not like something you may be trying to teach them and even food rewards do not do it for him. Since I do let him run around without it and do not put it on until I catch him in the act I am hoping he might make the connection of Oh when I eat poop my human puts that funny thing on my face and I do not like it but that may be a far stretch... but he is very smart. I really doubt he will learn to stop so at least this will keep him safe from picking up some parasites or disease from the poop eating. Stopping him when he is on leash only teaches him he can not do it when he is near me as I will stop him so then he will just run off and put distance between us it will not stop the behavior as he knows he can be at the other end of the park before I can get to him and grab the first snack he finds at that end too. While at home he will listen to leave it but out at a park I have to be near him to get him to listen to that command as coming from me at a distance as I move towards him only makes him grab a mouthfull and run. The best solution would be for others to clean up after their dogs but lately we seem to have new folks coming that suddenly become blind when their dog is pooping and deaf when others try to tell them and some that come before the legal off leash hours so there is no one to see it. When I first got to the park I was spending a lot of time walking around cleaning up the poop but decided it has caused some people to stop picking up as they figure someone else will do it for them and I am tired of cleaning up after irresponsible pet owners. So yet again the muzzle will work better even if it does not teach him it will stop him

I posted the shaming photo as a laugh because there are people here that know about his habit and would get a laugh out of the situation not because I think shaming a dog will teach him anything. Sometimes there comes a point where one just has to see the humor in a situation and as much as I hate to say it I do think Dazzle wins there too as he seems to find it funny to go smash his muzzled face in the poop then run over to the regular crowd and watch everyone scatter and move away that is why his sign says I am a funny guy.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,911 times
A few years back one of the seniors that I had adopted had severe arthritis in her rear and could not even feel when she way pooping, although she did have bladder control. So she would be walking around in the house and it would simply be dropping out of her.

I had two dogs who were poop eaters and one time they both charged the "treat" and I had a food fight break out over who was going to get to eat it.

So I understand your frustration and also enjoyed the laugh at Dazzle's expense.

It would be nice if folks at the dog park were much better at immediately cleaning up after their dogs.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM

453 posts, read 1,326,591 times
awww poor Dazzle LOL

You do what you have to do to protect your dog, even if it means a muzzle with a poop guard.

Just like with parenting human children, there is no "one size fits all" approach to dogs and behavior corrections.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,241,841 times
I'd clean the poop off the muzzle as soon as you see it. Seriously.

I can understand trying to prevent him from eating poop but making him smell it is wrong.

You, yourself, said that it's impossible to stop so there is no point in "punishing" him with the smell.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM

6,619 posts, read 2,183,619 times
This is too funny! I confess, I too, have a poop eater and have tried everything (except the muzzle). What really makes it bad is he loves to give me kisses when he comes back in the house! Owners of poop eaters, unite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs