Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

The good news is my beagle basset doesn't have Addison's Disease. We're very happy!

The bad news is I think I was ripped off by the vet in multiple ways. I was quoted $200 for the test. It ended up being $358. I didn't get the quote in writing because I have never had a bill be higher than I was told before. Turns out she only works evenings and wanted the dog dropped off in the evening when she worked. I didn't know this so I scheduled him for during the day. Nobody told me when I scheduled the appointment for the test. Another vet that was working that day did the test.

I waited until tonight for the results---the next night she was working because the office clerk said she would probably want t call me. I missed just missed the call, saw it on my caller ID, and immediately called back. She was in a room. They left a message. When I didn't hear back, I checked my voice mail and it was the other vet who had called. He said the test was negative. Since I didn't hear from her, I called him. He told me the test was negative. I asked if his high potassium and low sodium could mean something else. He said it wasn't that out of range or off or something like that. He's not concerned since there aren't symptoms. I just got the impression that he didn't feel the Addison's test needed to be done in the first place!

Oh, well. I learned my lesson. Always get written quotes ahead of time. And never go to that female vet that only works evenings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
That is very odd (not getting a written quote). Whenever I go to the vet I always have to sign something with the price range clearly listed before they start treatment unless it is a basic checkup with a set price. Usually they have a low to high range.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM

Their tests have set prices. I was just verbally quoted wrong. I've only been given a written quote once for surgery. I didn't ask for it, the vet just handed it to me. I've had many dogs have many procedures and surgeries throughout my life as a dog owner, and I've always been quoted verbally. Never had a problem until now. It didn't even occur to me that this could happen. I learned my lesson about that.

I'm most upset that it seems this test didn't even need to be done to begin with. I'm also disappointed the doctor who ordered the test didn't call me. I know darn well she would have been the one calling me if the test were positive. I'm just irritated by the whole experience.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
I'm sorry to hear that the vet's business practices were a little screwy, but sooo relieved to hear your boy "passed his test"! I'm really hoping for good health for him going forward. He provides us with such funny stories!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
He provides us with such funny stories!
He's a wild and crazy guy!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Have you spoke to the clinic about it? A few months ago a dealership here misquoted some major work for my car, but stood by their misquote (I did have it emailed to me), saved me a few hundred dollars

My other question, do you not have a choice as to who your vet is? Even though my clinic has three vets, I chose mine.

Congrats on the negative tests

Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Have you spoke to the clinic about it? A few months ago a dealership here misquoted some major work for my car, but stood by their misquote (I did have it emailed to me), saved me a few hundred dollars
I did at the time, but the vet wasn't there since she only works evenings and there were no comments in the record. I just paid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
My other question, do you not have a choice as to who your vet is? Even though my clinic has three vets, I chose mine.
We definitely have a choice. There are so many vets at this place. I have no idea how many, maybe 10 or more. It's also a 24 hour hospital. I ended up with this part-time evening vet because I called about a problem. When I realized I could get an appointment within an hour---the evening hours were still in effect instead of it being the ER at a higher rate---I jumped in the car for him to be seen. If I had gone to the ER, I would have gotten some random vet too. The vet I liked moved to a different location that is also convenient to me. I'll switch offices and follow him.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Glad to hear your hound is OK.I like my vets because it is a smaller place 3 full time vets and 2 part time they are open 8-6 mon-Fri and 8-5 on weekends. If I have to go in on a day my favorite vet is not there I am ok with it as he seems to hear about it and if he feels he needs to get involved he does. They all seem to work well together.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
I am happy for you that your dog is ok. This is the most important. I feel for you about vets. I have some horrible experiences with vets. I always want the best for my dogs so in the past, I always follow their suggestion. Now, I do research on line and get advice from here and friends. Still not sure, get a second opinion. Then decide what to do.

Among all the experience, the worst one is the death of my first GSD. I still can't get over the fact that I let vet do the spay surgery while my GSD was going through her treatment for Demodex mange problem. Afterwards, he didn't even tell me that this infection maybe an indication of immunosystem problem.

Another one is that after routine health check, I got an emergency call and asked me to bring my GSD for an endoscopic exploration surgery since my GSD had extremely low RBC count (20% of normal) and maybe bleeding internally. And to me, my GSD was crazy as usual. Luckily, my husband read the report and told me from the report, it was obvious to him that the blood was clotted when they did test. Told me to change the vet.

My most recent story happened last month. Again, as a part of routine health check, I was given a tube to bring in my dog poop for exam. Before I got time to send in the poop, I got a call and asked me to bring in my dog since they found some sort of worms in the poop. I calmly told them that it was impossible since I haven't sent in the precious poop yet. Of course, they apologized. But if I had sent in the poop, what will happen... I did stand up to them once insisting not to use steroid on my bulldog's skin problem which they agreed so I am keeping this one until I find another one.

Last edited by LingLing; 03-20-2013 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs