Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM

107 posts, read 167,912 times

Advertisements

My husband and I rescued a dog which seems to be a Manchester Terrier. There is a high possibility that we will keep her if we can't find her owners. I have done a general search on this breed because I'm not familiar with it.

Does anyone have a Manchester Terrier or have trained one that could give me some tips or additional information on the breed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,675 times
Applause, applause for rescuing a dog! We had a Manchester Terrier/chih mix when I was growing up and she the sweetest dog and my best friend. I hope everything works out for the best, whether you find the owner or you find yourself a new best friend. We would love to see pictures!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Manchesters & Min Pinchers are almost alike. Manchesters have Roached Backs Minpins have straight backs. Beyond that no clue LOL

Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
yes pics please oh give us some pics Im in a good dog mood today ...

Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
I'm not sure who I'm happier for: you or the Terrier.

I did some limited reading on this breed a while back. They do become territorial, (what dog doesn't?), and will protect family and home. They will become attached too, and don't like to be left alone. Some will bark at most everything, I would think that could be cured with consistent training and lots of affection. That's the only thing that steered me away from considering one. Otherwise, they don't make as big a "mess" as say, a doberman or German Shepherd. The short hair is a plus, as they don't shed much, if at all. Not sure if they are good with children; again, that might be something you could change with an individual dog. Highly intelligent, alert, and loyal. Again, what dog isn't? My best to you and your new companion.

I agree with my fellow posters above - Pictures!!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
. Manchesters have Roached Backs Minpins have straight backs. Beyond that no clue LOL
No, that is not true, at all. Manchesters will be penalized severely for a roached back. Below is from the official AKC breed standard...

The slightly arched neck should be slim and graceful, and of moderate length. It gradually becomes larger as it approaches, and blends smoothly with the sloping shoulders. Throatiness is undesirable. The topline shows a slight arch over the robust loins falling slightly to the tail set. A flat back or roached back is to be severely penalized. The chest is narrow between the legs and deep in the brisket. The forechest is moderately defined. The ribs are well sprung, but flattened in the lower end to permit clearance of the forelegs. The abdomen should be tucked up extending in an arched line from the deep brisket. The taper style tail is moderately short reaching no further than the hock joint. It is set on at the end of the croup. Being thicker where it joins the body, the tail tapers to a point. The tail is carried in a slight upward curve, but never over the back.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Contact the breed club I'm sure they'd love to tell you all about Manchester Terriers.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM

107 posts, read 167,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I'm not sure who I'm happier for: you or the Terrier.

I did some limited reading on this breed a while back. They do become territorial, (what dog doesn't?), and will protect family and home. They will become attached too, and don't like to be left alone. Some will bark at most everything, I would think that could be cured with consistent training and lots of affection. That's the only thing that steered me away from considering one. Otherwise, they don't make as big a "mess" as say, a doberman or German Shepherd. The short hair is a plus, as they don't shed much, if at all. Not sure if they are good with children; again, that might be something you could change with an individual dog. Highly intelligent, alert, and loyal. Again, what dog isn't? My best to you and your new companion.

I agree with my fellow posters above - Pictures!!
I figured I'd update ya'll on my OP. She is officialy a new member of our family and her name is Reese We recently found out that she doesn't like the DVD player or printer. When I eject the DVD, she goes bazerk and barks at it :-P and the same with the printer. We have a cat as well, and they seem to tolerate each other, even though Reese is more affraid of the cat more than the cat is affraid of Reese, LOL.

She is a cuddle bug, loves to be in your lap or against you in some way when laying down. She's still young, she chases her tail, and doesn't really play with any plush toys, unless you engage her. She has some tension with her food and treats, but other than that, no actual food aggression. Our cat is a food hog, and tries to eat out of the same bowl, and Reese growls at her.

We named her Reese because she is chocolate brown and tan, just like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup and is learning her name quickly. From the pictures I've included, she's made herself at home without an issue, and goes crazy for car rides. Just this morning, my husband went to take her outside without shoes, and he said that she turned around grabbed a shoe and brought it to him She's obviously very smart as well!

The next adventure for Reese is vaccinations and being spayed. So I hope ya'll enjoy the pictures!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	107832

Name:	Reese2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	107833

Name:	Reese3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	107834

Name:	Reese&MrsNesbitt.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	107835

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
She's a cutie. Love the name too!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,675 times
Congratulations! She looks like a doll baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs