Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times

Advertisements

My sister had to put her beloved 12 yr old poodle down on Monday - he had severe congestive heart failure, constant cough, difficulty breathing and had lost control of all bladder and bowel function. She brought him to the vet and and they had the audacity to charge and EXTRA $15 for her to be present for the euthanization!!! She was floored. What the heck?? It made me wonder what they would or wouldn't have done without the extra money. How can anyone be so heartless? Just venting to my fellow dog lovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 AM

811 posts, read 1,386,380 times
Wow. I just had my cat put to sleep earlier this week. I'm still hurting badly! But my vet was wonderful. I definitely wanted to be with my cat at The Time, and my vet let me take as long as I needed before he came in. Afterward, he tenderly placed her in a peaceful position and quietly left so I could spend as much more time as I needed. I can't believe how callous your sister's vet was...anything for a buck.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
wow, that is absolutely ridiculous. if my vet did that i'd stop going there, and let them know why.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:44 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
I'm sorry for her loss, but it goes to show that a good long standing relationship with a vet is important. Everyone should always talk about these issues BEFORE it is necessary, so you know their policies, procedures and costs.

Several years ago I had to send my not quite 18 year old Lahsa over the rainbow bridge. I called my vet, he came to my farm, and once done, carried him to a pre-dug hole and placed him in it and covered him with a blanket so I wouldn't see him when I filled it in, all for $45.

I bless my luck in having access to not one but two very very good country vets. I have a friend who lives in the city of ATL and I'm shocked at the difference in charges and policies. She has one dog and 4 rescue cats and get's no break on her rescue cats even though she brings them in and they are well behaved. Out here, there's a discount on the visit fee if you bring in multi-pets at the same time for shots etc.

Again, sorry for the loss, I hope everyone does talk with their vet prior to the end of life, it's not something you want to deal with at such a stressful time.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Well, if MY vet did that I'd understand . . . since he had to deal with me when I put Casper down. I was a complete MESS - probably ruined a nice peaceful exit for little Casper too.

He'll probably charge me $100 if I ever decide to be present again. Actually, he probably wouldn't let me.

While I'm not sure I agree with the extra charge; people like me have got to make that part of the Vet's job harder.

But people who are calm and collected and able to hold their friend's hand and say good-bye without causing an uproar . . . should not be charged extra! I think I would be better today since I've been through it before now and know what to expect.

I did feel sorry for my vet though - that day.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,886 times
Default Omg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
My sister had to put her beloved 12 yr old poodle down on Monday - he had severe congestive heart failure, constant cough, difficulty breathing and had lost control of all bladder and bowel function. She brought him to the vet and and they had the audacity to charge and EXTRA $15 for her to be present for the euthanization!!! She was floored. What the heck?? It made me wonder what they would or wouldn't have done without the extra money. How can anyone be so heartless? Just venting to my fellow dog lovers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what................................ : smack:

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: mad:

First thing I would do, if I were your Sister........ I would tell the media about that...TV...newspapers....anyone & everybody I could tell. I would let as many people I know, what happened...I would pass the word what a HORRIBLE SELFISH GREEDY PIG of a vet he is. (I'm being nice here with my wording)
That is just wrong.

Your Sister is a very nice person, cause if that was me...I would of kicked that vets butt.
MAINLY I WOULD PASS THE WORD AS MUCH AS I COULD.
THAT IS SO WRONG...
I BETTER STOP HERE, THAT JUST P's me off.

Tell your Sister I'm so sorry for what she had to go thru.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
Well, going to the media might be a bit much. However I've worked in this field for nearly a decade and have never heard of a vet charging extra for an owner to be present. I wonder if your sister called the office and calmly asked for the reasoning behind the extra charge, what would their answer be? I always preferred the owners to be present and euthanasias, though I understood why some just couldn't. I can't imagine discouraging that.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
She should write a letter to the office saying that is an outrageous practice, that she would NOT ever recommend them to anyone, and that it's quite a heartless and uncommon practice.

Then she should post her story on Craig's List and any on-line public pet discussion board.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
It's really amazing how heartless some veterinarians can be.

When my last dog was diagnosed with a Addison's Disease and had to stay overnight with IV fluids, the veterinarian and staff really made things much more painful than they already were.

I definitely wouldn't go back there.

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It's really amazing how heartless some veterinarians can be.
The operative word here is SOME. Some people - regardless of their profession - are not worthy of the designation "human being".

Your sister should really firmly, but calmly, request an explanation of the charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs