Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

I have two diabetic dogs (mother & son) that are on the DCO food. The problem is they will not eat as much if I do not mix in some wet food. I am sure the wet food is negating the benefits of the special diet food. I tried wetting the food with warm water but that doesn't seem to help much.

Does anyone know of a sauce or wet food that is good for diabetic dogs? If I mix in something they tend to eat the whole bowl- if I don't they just pick at it which makes it risky to give them their insulin shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
What about adding Salmon Oil? Might tempt their palate and it's good for them.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
My Angel is 10 and was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. She is on the same food as your dogs. Since we adopted her at 6 months old, she has had to have some wet dog food with her meals. My vet, who is a 3rd generation vet, told me I could put in a little cooked ground turkey or chicken--meat only, not processed, canned or packaged--with some beef or chicken broth. That made the transition easy.

My meat market has it anywhere from $1.70 a pound to $2.45 a pound, and the grocery store prices are unbelievable

I will be the first one to say that not all vets agree. My vet also recommended I buy the Purina Lite Snackers that I can only get from his office. They are like Milk Bones, but are baked.

My Angel is doing wonderfully on her insulin, is active and happy. Good luck to you. It is a special person to care for two dogs with diabetes.

PS - She is on Novolin N that I get from WalMart for $25. I was expecting the cost to be about $100. It used to be called Humulin N, but they changed the name.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
My Angel is 10 and was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. She is on the same food as your dogs. Since we adopted her at 6 months old, she has had to have some wet dog food with her meals. My vet, who is a 3rd generation vet, told me I could put in a little cooked ground turkey or chicken--meat only, not processed, canned or packaged--with some beef or chicken broth. That made the transition easy.

My meat market has it anywhere from $1.70 a pound to $2.45 a pound, and the grocery store prices are unbelievable

I will be the first one to say that not all vets agree. My vet also recommended I buy the Purina Lite Snackers that I can only get from his office. They are like Milk Bones, but are baked.

My Angel is doing wonderfully on her insulin, is active and happy. Good luck to you. It is a special person to care for two dogs with diabetes.

PS - She is on Novolin N that I get from WalMart for $25. I was expecting the cost to be about $100. It used to be called Humulin N, but they changed the name.
"It is a special person to care for two dogs with diabetes."- They are family. I have six dogs in all and I would do for any of them what is required.

Thank god for Wal-mart and their Novolin-N. I did pay 98 dollars at Walgreens for the Humilin-N the first time but discovered the Wal-mart brand.

I will start cooking for them. I could cook up some ground turkey cheaper than canned food.

BTW- The Mother of the Female (her name is PeeDee) was named Angel. She passed away from kidney failure four years ago. She was an American Eskimo dog.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have two diabetic dogs (mother & son) that are on the DCO food. The problem is they will not eat as much if I do not mix in some wet food. I am sure the wet food is negating the benefits of the special diet food. I tried wetting the food with warm water but that doesn't seem to help much.

Does anyone know of a sauce or wet food that is good for diabetic dogs? If I mix in something they tend to eat the whole bowl- if I don't they just pick at it which makes it risky to give them their insulin shots.
Can you mix in beef or chicken broth? I would buy the bullion in a jar and mix as needed. check w/ your Vet regarding whether this is ok to do. Also, veggies...if your dogs love them like my bulldog...She'll eat anything that has peas or green beans in it.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Can you mix in beef or chicken broth? I would buy the bullion in a jar and mix as needed. check w/ your Vet regarding whether this is ok to do. Also, veggies...if your dogs love them like my bulldog...She'll eat anything that has peas or green beans in it.
I use broth too and it works.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 17,426 times
My dog Austin has been diabetic for two years. The BEST food is EVO weight management. It' 52% protein and NO Grain whatsoever. So, no carbos. The Hill's Diabetic Dog food is not good. It's low in protein and has over 50% carbohydrates from grain. The only thing is that for the past two weeks, it has been unavailable at the better pet stores due to a recall. But once it's available again I am going right back to it. My dog has been on Intrinsic for the past two weeks and his sugar level has skyrocketed. He's taking 15 units twice a day---the max. With EVO his sugar levels were much lower...Good luck.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Boil some chicken and pour the broth (warm) over the food. Refrigerate the rest. Include the some of the meat, too. No need to spend additional money on ground meat. Just tear off some chunks and toss it into the bowl. Buy chicken with no seasonings, injected solutions, etc. All natural. Foster Farms or any other similar brand. Here in CA I buy Randall Farms chicken.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:56 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdantuono View Post
My dog Austin has been diabetic for two years. The BEST food is EVO weight management. It' 52% protein and NO Grain whatsoever. So, no carbos.
No, it still has carbohydrates... subtract the protein and fat percentages from the food, whatever is left is substantially carbohydrates (about 10-11%). The peas etc have carbs. It would be next to impossible to make a dry food without carbs because various carb sources are always used as binders, at the very least. With that said, it's extremely low in carbs by dry food standards, probably has to be one of the lowest out there.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM

90 posts, read 311,714 times
My dog was diabetic for the last two years of his life, so I have two years of experience. We had a tough time stabilizing him on his food, and ended up giving him Science Diet W/D. I gave him chicken or beef in his kibble, daily. I bought the meat on sale, and usually paid no more than $2/lb. I just cooked and shredded it and put a bit in the bowl at each meal. Occasionally, I also gave him some canned tuna in his food. If he went off that, then I knew it was time to adjust the insulin a little.
Just so you know, in the end, we lost him to a neurological disorder, not the diabetes. With patience, the diabetes can be fairly easily managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs