Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,890,023 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I found a very young puppy yesterday - he still has puppy breath and all of his puppy teeth. He looks to be a shepherd mix and seems to be very healthy looking and well-fed. He is super friendly and jumped right in the car when we pulled over.

I have an older dachshund who has no interest in a roommate and a husband who has no interest in a second dog.

We are getting by right now with the new guy in the basement and the permanent resident upstairs, but I really need to find this dog a home.

How do I go about this? I checked with two local vets yesterday and no one has reported him missing. There are no Lost Dog signs in the near vicinity. He can stay here a couple of days but not forever. How do I find a shelter or home for him that is appropriate and safe. He will make someone an awesome companion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times
Have you called the local police? That's how we connect dogs in my region. If the owners were smart enough to call the police to report their dog missing, the police are able to quickly match up the finders with the owners. Also call all area shelters and ask if anyone has called looking for a dog meeting the description. Take a photo and make a flier and post it at the shelters as found. If all else fails, try to fine a shepherd rescue that takes mixes. Since puppies are easier to place, I'm sure you can find a no-kill shelter willing to take him. Just avoid any shelter that is a kill shelter.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Do shelters have to tell you if they are a kill shelter?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM

32,493 posts, read 47,458,225 times
What makes you so darn sure that this isn't someone's pet who escaped through a hole in the fence?

Just because you found him does not mean you can keep him. He might have a family looking for him.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,848 times
If the dog was super friendly and jumped in your car, he might have a home already. You can't just keep him or find a new home for him.

Shelters have to hold strays for a certain number of days, and a young shepherd mix is likely to be adopted VERY quickly if the owners don't pick him up. Also, most people who lose a dog call local shelters to see if they have a matching dog. I would take him to a shelter.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What makes you so darn sure that this isn't someone's pet who escaped through a hole in the fence?

Just because you found him does not mean you can keep him. He might have a family looking for him.
Fair questions to be sure...

We live in a pretty small community. I have contacted local vets, put up signs and posted on Craig's list and facebook. He didn't have a collar and isn't chipped. I agree that he looks like he has had some loving, but I am concerned that he was dropped in my neighborhood. He is too young to have wandered far and no one in the neighborhood appears to be missing a puppy or has ever seen him before.

I am very, very hopeful that if he was someone's pet and they are looking for him that we will get him back to where he belongs.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM

244 posts, read 485,668 times
The Paper over here (SW Florida) is publishing free ads for people who found or lost dogs. May be a good way to start. Also may be take him to the vet and see if he is mirco chipped, then they might be able to find the owner. there are also web sites like: Pet Microchip for Dogs and Cats | HomeAgain Pet ID & Recovery Service where you can post the found dog for free and they will help you too in locating the owner. Call your local animal shelter to see if somebody reported the dog missing - you don't have to take the dog there - just let them know you found it.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,301,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Yesterday I found a very young puppy yesterday - he still has puppy breath and all of his puppy teeth. He looks to be a shepherd mix and seems to be very healthy looking and well-fed. He is super friendly and jumped right in the car when we pulled over.

I have an older dachshund who has no interest in a roommate and a husband who has no interest in a second dog.

We are getting by right now with the new guy in the basement and the permanent resident upstairs, but I really need to find this dog a home.

How do I go about this? I checked with two local vets yesterday and no one has reported him missing. There are no Lost Dog signs in the near vicinity. He can stay here a couple of days but not forever. How do I find a shelter or home for him that is appropriate and safe. He will make someone an awesome companion.

Call your local animal control office or the police and ask them which websites list lost pets in your area. Take the pup to any vet and have him scanned for a microchip and ask where they recommend you bring him. They may tell you names of local German Shepherd rescues, which also take in shephard mixes, and they may be able to either find the pup's owner or a new home.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,716,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

Keep posting on craigslist with photos. I have found a few lost dogs over the years and have always had luck connecting with the owner through craigslist.

If you find out the puppy was abandon, you could post some adoption ads on various sites to find a new home.

- dogs.oodle.com
- puppyfind.com
- nextdaypets.com

I would please ask you to meet with any potential adopters to make sure the puppy will be loved and receive proper medical care. You can ask questions such as where will the puppy live, what will be your max annual budget for the puppy, what experience do you have with puppies and dogs etc.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks everyone - I have put up signs, notified all the local vets, the police department, two large shelters and the German Shepherd Rescue people.

I have also found him a great temporary home with a good dog owner who agreed that he could stay on permanently if I can't find his owner.

He is such a charming, smart dog and I feel confident that he is in a good spot for now (and maybe forever). My sweet old dog was glad to see that ball of energy leave this evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs