Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times

Advertisements

It just makes me sick .

How about this one:

"I just built my dream home and my purebred dog, who I adopted from the pound when she was 3, and who's been sweet and well-behaved during the 6 years I've had her, gets "too dirty" for my new house, so I'll be returning her to the pound now."

The above is what my BIL just did with his dog . We tried to make suggestions to encourage him to keep her. We said 'why not put up a fence and then she won't be able to get to that muddy area?'. But no, a fence would ruin the look of his home. So we said 'we'll take her'. He went behind our back and took her to the pound, we did not find out until it was all over (apparently she was immediately adopted).

He knew we could give her a good home, but he just didn't want us to have her for some reason. My guess it's because we were also willing to take in one of their children years back when they didn't want him either (you guessed it, they found a way to get rid of him too).

Some people are just disgusting .

Then there's the guy who took a perfectly good puppy and somehow made him a couch-peeing, woman-hating biter. The guy was willing to give this dog to anyone who wanted it, and I actually found a good home with a recently retired man who had the time and inclination to work with this dog and who was up to the challenge. At the last minute, the dog owner said 'well, my kids love the dog, I can't really get rid of him'. So the dog continues to live in misery, spending who knows how many hours of his life in his crate (even the 'kids who love him' have no time for him).

The supply of lousy dog owners is never-ending it seems........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times
Are you familiar with this site at all?

Dogs In Danger (broken link)

Quote:
Top 10 reasons dogs are dumped
  1. Moving
  2. Landlord not allowing pet
  3. Too many animals in household
  4. Cost of pet maintenance
  5. Owner having personal problems
  6. Inadequate facilities
  7. No homes available for litter mates
  8. Having no time for pet
  9. Pet illness
  10. Biting

Old 10-28-2007, 12:09 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you familiar with this site at all?

Dogs In Danger (broken link)
#7 is scary.........that many people have dogs that are getting pregnant for it to make #7?!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Five View Post
I'm with you on that! I would never, ever get rid of one of my pets. The ones that p*ss me off the most are the ones that get rid of their old dog or cat...the pet has given them unconditional love and companionship for its entire and now that the twilight years are here they face the ultimate betrayal. I don't know how people can live with themselves.
be thankful you've never been in the situation where rehoming a pet IS necessary. to say that there is NEVER a reason to rehome is ridiculous. I used to volunteer at a shelter and remember:

- a homeless woman who had to rehome her pit mix (the dog was a stray and it was so obvious she loved this pup). this woman was barely taking care of herself and was having a VERY tough time on the streets. she was offered the chance to get into a women's group home, but her dog wasn't allowed. what were her options? keep the dog and stay on the streets and continue getting sexually harassed and eventually starve or freeze to death? refuse and hope that another option would present itself where she could keep her dog (unlikely- lots of homeless people in Boston and not enough resources to help them all.)

-a woman bringing in her mother's elderly cat. the mother had Alzheimer's and just wasn't taking proper care of herself or the cat, so had to rehome. he mother had owned the cat for 12 years (cat was about 15) but the symptoms didn't start until the previous 5 years. the daughter had bad asthma and allergies that meds and filters just couldn't help and had recently been hospitalized for them.

-when the BSL in Boston passed, lots of landlords cracked down on residents w/ pit bulls. people were given the option to either get rid of the dog or moved. I know many would here would choose the second option, but in a city like Boston, rents are very expensive and some families would have either had to choose a smaller apartment and squish their families in or a cheaper apartment in a dangerous neighborhood. we got a few lovely pits from heartbroken families who just couldn't risk the stable roof over their heads.

so never say that there is NEVER a good reason to rehome. sometimes there are legit, valid reasons to rehome. of course the above examples are extremes, but less extreme reasons are no less valid. A person needs to take of themselves, needs to meet their own needs (food, shelter, safety, etc) before they can take on the responsibility of caring for a pet. health concerns, job loss, etc can pop up at any moment and make owning a pet not feasible. doesn't mean that these people don't care about their pets; may just mean they care ENOUGH to not subject them to poor quality care

I think some animal lovers are far more harsh towards people needing to rehome their pets than people are towards women who give up their kids for adoption.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:20 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I regularly go on Craigslist and freecycle and always see people 'selling' their old pets. (or ones they are 'bored' with). I know sometimes we have to get rid of a pet but some of these people seem to have lame excuses.

1) allergies (why would you have a persian cat to begin with if you have allergies?)
2) So and so is a GREAT dog but doesn't get along with my other 4 dogs...Puffy is a 2.5 year old Husky I've had since a puppy.... (what, sick of dealing with a big dog? Why'd you get a big dog to begin with?)

And there are breeders selling animals on there, also. If you are really worried about where Tippy is going and you're hearbroken, why are you asking $250 for him? Isn't it better he goes to a good home?

It seems like pets are nothing here..?
the inevitable.
of the throw away society.
first drinking containers
then kids
then husbands
now pets.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 AM

216 posts, read 826,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
be thankful you've never been in the situation where rehoming a pet IS necessary. to say that there is NEVER a reason to rehome is ridiculous.
I am QUITE thankful. I don't believe I said "there is NEVER a reason to rehome", I said "I would never".

And I've worked in rescue for many, many years. I'm well aware of the legitimate vs. the bullsh*t reasons people get rid of their pets.

Rehoming a pet to a relative, a friend, someone that you know or that you've checked out thoroughly to make sure they will be a good home is quite different from the original conversation which was regarding CL where you find a multitude of people who are quite willing to give their "wonderful well loved pet" away to the first person who shows up. I've taken dogs several times from CL posters - they could care less who I am or what I'm going to do with it. I could walk away and set that dog on fire, they don't care.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,005,817 times
I agree sometimes THERE ARE problems and you have to rehome a pet. We recently moved and HAD TO give up our parakeet. My husband felt horrible. But we moved from lower NY to Vermont. It was a move that had several logistical problems built in, including the fact we were not able to bring a bird a long.

We never bought our bird to begin with. We rescued her in our backyard a few years ago and kept her, despite none of us are 'bird people.' No one wanted her and we felt three years ago, we'd try it. Well, she became pretty feral due to no one really interacting with her. My son lost interest, my husband didn't like her (she bit) and I am pretty scared of birds and hate 'caged things.'

When we had a chance to move up here, finally, we did not want her destroying this rental property. After three years, she was used to being out of the cage most of the day (and chewed up a lot of my windows to show for it).

No, it was not ideal to give her to the shelter but we only had 2 weeks to move and could not have her destroying this apartment. Again, I don't think we were mean--we gave her a good three year home, we did not BUY her, but we did take her in from the wild.

I feel guilty sometimes, and I know some people do have legit reasons. However, some are just horrible...and the 'fees' are a joke.. I don't believe they should allow 'rehoming' of living things on craigslist or free cycle.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-28-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times
About 10 years ago, we drove to a parking lot in Mason City Iowa to pick up Shelby. She was a gorgeous, huge, chocolate lab. The man giving her up cried the whole time. She was obviously his dog and he loved her. His wife disliked Shelby's size and the fact that she always got dirty/muddy playing in the water on their property.

For years, that man called us at the holidays and on Shelby's birthday. Just to see how she was doing. It hurt my heart the time he called and I had to tell him she died of cancer. Shelby had a huge loving heart. She was completely trained and a beautiful pet. But she was a lab and she played in the water at my house too!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,695,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist
Buddy needs a home
Reply to: XXXXX--XXXXX@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-10-29, 8:22AM EDT

I have a two year old Australian Sheperd that I can't keep any longer. I currently have a house with a yard but I am moving into an apt and can't bring him with me. Looking for a family that will take care of him; otherwise, I will have to take him to the humane society. Here are three pictures of him.

Translation: I have to move into an apartment so I am sending the dog to get the death penalty.

ARRRRGGGH!!!

And you are moving into the apartment for what reason???!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,005,817 times
I have one to beat yours...this person wants to get rid of her/his cat because it meows.

"I am looking for a new home for our 8 year old spayed female cat. Black and white long hair. She is super friendly, loves to be patted and sleep on the couch. She uses a scratching post and is litter box trained. She likes to be indoors and outdoors. She is a good mouser. She is good with children and other cats. The reason for us finding her a new home is that she meows in the middle of the night. I know it sounds like a silly reason for finding her a new home, but I am a VERY light sleeper and she wants to be in our bed at night, if she isn't than she cries."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs