Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times

Advertisements

I don't want to use the word "smart," because people might associate it with doing stupid dog tricks, etc.

I am talking about being "human" like. I am talking about the German Sheppard who track down its dead owner's grave miles away and stay there for months and possibly years.

I am talking about an Akita who goes to the train station every day at the sametime to wait for his owner to come home, who has passed away.

I am talking about an large/mid size dog in Japan who keep barking at rescuue workers and bring them to its owner who's trapped in rubbles from earthquake.

You never hear small dogs doing anything close to that. These are not actions that require large dog's stength. It's just the human/intelligence aspect of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Shiba Inus aren't large dogs.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Sorry but small dogs have been known to do the same thing...Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye terrier who became known in 19th-century Edinburgh for supposedly spending 14 years guarding the grave of his owner until he died himself on 14 January 1872.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Japan has qualified a Chihuahua for their search and rescue:

BBC News - Tiny Chihuahua set to join Japanese search-and-rescue team_ - YouTube

Go Momo!

Many of the so called smartest dogs are small; Papillons and Minature and Toy Poodles are known for their smarts.

In Europe they routinely use smaller dogs for their Search and Rescue programs and here in the US they are now looking at smaller breeds. Beagles are already being used in airports. One of the pluses about using a smaller dog is they have a longer active life span and after trainning bigger dogs to work they often have to be retired at an earlier age where a small dog tends to have a longer active life span.

I have a friend who breeds and competes her long haired standard dachshunds in tracking (among other things) and she's been approached about the feasability of utlizing them for SAR work. Her doxies remain active and healthy into their teens.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I don't want to use the word "smart," because people might associate it with doing stupid dog tricks, etc.

I am talking about being "human" like. I am talking about the German Sheppard who track down its dead owner's grave miles away and stay there for months and possibly years.

I am talking about an Akita who goes to the train station every day at the sametime to wait for his owner to come home, who has passed away.

I am talking about an large/mid size dog in Japan who keep barking at rescuue workers and bring them to its owner who's trapped in rubbles from earthquake.

You never hear small dogs doing anything close to that. These are not actions that require large dog's stength. It's just the human/intelligence aspect of it.
You obviously are unaware of the true story of Greyfriar's Bobby.

(Ay yay yay, another size bigot ... )

Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Sorry but small dogs have been known to do the same thing...Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye terrier who became known in 19th-century Edinburgh for supposedly spending 14 years guarding the grave of his owner until he died himself on 14 January 1872.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
If a small dog did those things in bold, someone would just stop and pick them up and take them home.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I've owned extremely large dogs and some extra tiny dogs, and size has no bearing at all on intelligence.

I'm going to disagree that sitting on a master's grave has anything to do with brain power at all. It's loyalty, not smarts. A dog with the IQ of a cabbage is just as capable of sitting on a grave as a highly intelligent dog.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've owned extremely large dogs and some extra tiny dogs, and size has no bearing at all on intelligence.

I'm going to disagree that sitting on a master's grave has anything to do with brain power at all. It's loyalty, not smarts. A dog with the IQ of a cabbage is just as capable of sitting on a grave as a highly intelligent dog.
That's why I SPECIFICALLY didn't use the word "smart."

Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Both my big dog and little dog 'act' like humans. Just last night I went to get into bed and my little dog was under the covers with her head on my pillow. Before my big dog got to old to get up on the bed, I'd come home to find my pillow with an indent and wet spot from drool.
Both dogs are intelligent, the little dog just expresses it more. Big dog is a working breed so he only concerns himself with 'work'. Little dog is more social so when the keys come out, she runs for the door. This is not a 'trained habit', she's not been raised to go with us every time we leave. So while associating keys with a car ride is intelligence, the aknowledgment of someone leaving and her running for the door is akin to a human seeing an event that they want to be a part of.
It is human for an inmate to clank his cup on his cell bars because be wants a drink, then it must be human like for my dog to clank her food bowl with her feet to tell us its empty.
Big dog just comes and stares. He uses body language to communicate. My daughter fell asleep with her dinner plate. Big dog came to us and stared and when we asked 'what?' He pointed to her ...with his nose, only because he does not have fingers.
Like children, both dogs give thrmselves away when they have done something they know they should not have. And both big and small dog sigh when they don't get their way.

So any dog, regardless of size is or can be quite human like. How much like a human or what they do that is human like is dependent on the individual dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs