Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 04:50 PM

61 posts, read 400,847 times

Advertisements

My yellow lab puppy is 8 months old & close to 80 lbs. I have to wrestle him down to get his nails to clipped and yes, I played with his feet all the time when he was little. I've tried treats but can't seem to get him to understand that it's OK.

And now he has an ear infection...it takes both my husband and I and ALL our strength to get the antiseptic cleaner in his ear not to mention the drops of medicine in the next couple of days (once the ears are good and clean).

I've never had this happen with any of my dogs over my life. I've always been able to groom, bath, clip hair, ears, nails etc., give medicine by mouth and even by injection.

My lab is a wonderfully sweet dog, he is basically mellow for his age. We've tried playing Frisbee with him until he is exhausted but that hasn't helped either. He finds the strength to wrestle back.

Any suggestions? I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to care for him the way I should be able to.

Our vet is small town country vet (LOVE HIM) but he leaves most procedures up to the owners.

Thanks if advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
At 8 months, they're still all puppy. However, they're BIG puppy, and I can see where you'd be struggling if he's not used to getting his nails clipped right along. Have they ever been clipped too close, so that it hurts and they bleed? My sister's dog had a groomer do that and to this day the dog won't let anyone clip her nails unless she's muzzled. One bad experience like that can ruin it for the rest of a dog's life. REmember, too, that a dog's feet are very sensitive (like ours are ticklish - I could never get a pedicure!! , so you need to try to "desensitize" them.
He may also think that you're just playing.

Has your puppy had consistent basic training, like sit and stay? The training helps a lot. In fact, it's half the battle. Those commands, once they learn them, are useful during grooming and nail care. Train by using treats at short intervals. Pick up a paw as if you're going to clip a nail, talk to the pup all the time, say "sit, stay" repeatedly. Put the paw down (without doing anything to it) and if the dog didn't struggle, give a treat and praise. Repeat the motions. His behavior should calm down and improve as he realizes what gets him the little bit of treat. They are very intune to their body position and their own actions, as well as yours. They will associate the LAST thing they did with the treat, and that treat should come instantly right after the behavior or action that you wanted to see (no hunting in your pocket or reaching somewhere for the tidbit). It has to be instant to be associated with that action.

You can actually do a bit of training while you care for that ear. He'll eventually learn that when you're done with the ear he will get a reward.

Does that make sense? Hope so. I can't really explain it - it would be much easier if someone showed you. Do you have any training clubs or trainers nearby? It sounds like you know dogs, and are experienced. I think you'll be able to resolve this with a little creativity and imagination.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 AM

61 posts, read 400,847 times
Thanks for the reply. I will try to go slower and take it one step at a time with his nails. I figured quicker was better. He is a very smart dog and has had basic training. He will normally do just about anything I ask for a piece of cheese EXCEPT let me clip his nails.

BUT, if I go slower and reward the little steps a long the way I could get him to relax. I've known him (he was born next door) all his life. When we got him he had never had his nailed clipped.

As for the ear cleaner and drops, I think my husband and I figured out a way to do it. My husband stands behind him, puts his arms around him just behind his front legs, hugs him and lifts him up so that only his back feet are on the ground. For some, reason this worked. I was able to get a good amount of cleaner in BOTH ears and message for a while (which he loved).

This is crazy. I have a little 5 lb. shorkie that won't let me clip his nails. I have to muzzle him or he will eat me. EXCEPT when I take him to the groomers to have it done. If I'm standing there he will holler, scream, nip and bite. I've a leave the room, he is a perfect angel for the groomer. What is with that! LOL. It's true. The groomer just shakes her head.

Such is life with animals. I appreciate your advice and I'm gearing up to have a go at his nails after I finish my coffee.

Last edited by CG&D93; 11-13-2007 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Trying to add a smiley.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
The nails thing I can't help with because my big girl lab is a digger and has never needed her nails trimmed...not kidding. But her ears have gotten infected before and when they are tender she will fight me to do care on them. Luckily she's trained very well and I can get her through it with a command or two, but being gentle and careful are a must. To prevent the infections and to get her used to ear care...clean them regularly when they aren't tender. This will help if another infection happens. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
I have to use the muzzle AND have my husband hold our dog and he still puts up a fuss for nail clipping. try a muzzle is all i can advise but it's probably best that you try to get this under control now before it's too late (the dog is too old and set in his ways). good luck. i feel for you!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,101 times
Hey CC&D93, sounds like a handful, but also that you know the territory (if not the exact path). As nicolepsy suggests, it's really important to get your pup used to handling now, while he's still young. And yes, treats at every phase (break it down) so that he knows he's rewarded. The other thing is that if he has an ear infection, he may be in a lot of discomfort, which could make him fight you. It sounds like you may have figured out a work-around, but failing that, have you considered/tried the wire mesh muzzles? The vet had to put one on my Aussie when they were having difficulty drawing blood, and wow...literally a transforming moment. He completely submitted, became passive, even pliable (since dogs rely so heavily on their mouths, it's no wonder!). We're running into the same situation re: nail trimming with our Pitt, who is almost 3 and never had to have them trimmed. We lived urban until recently, and between the concrete and pavement, she always wore them down. Now, out here in the very rural country of NC, they're growing so long and she freaks anytime we try to trim. She won't stop squirming, and despite the fact that she's only 35 lbs., she's very strong and I'm afraid of slipping/hurting her. We even tried using a homeopathic sedative, which had her sooooo sleepy until we tried to trim...we've tried the muzzle too, but she thrashes, unlike our Aussie Boy who couldn't be stiller. I guess for a 3 year old, it's to be expected, but with your 8 month old, there's plenty of hope!!! Good luck!! ~PudelPie

Old 11-13-2007, 06:22 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,502 times
Nails are tough...some dogs just don't like it, and alot of times it has nothing to do with the touching of the feet, but more the noise that the clipper makes. We always try to go as quick as possible with nervous dogs so we can get it over with, but still being careful not to cut the quicks. Sometimes if you start with the backs that helps. The noise is farther from their ears, and they don't have to see it. If he really likes his frisbee, let him hold it while you cut, or some other toy or yummy treat.

It's kind of tough to work with ears when they need medication, but once they are better, just start by wiping them with a dry paper towel/cotton pad/gauze, whatever you use. Gradually work your way into getting into the ear and then start adding small amounts of cleaner. Same applies for letting him have a toy/treat.

A good distraction is always good...have someone tap his head (not hard enough to hurt, but not so soft that he can ignore it) or scratch his butt really hard or something. We use head tapping all the time for nails, ears, drawing blood, it works for lots of things.

Good Luck

Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I take my dog on a good, long walk before I cut his nails. I think his feet must be less sensitive after walking - either that or he is just too pooped to protest! I also trim them at least once a week. I know that sounds obsessive, but I don't trust myself to trim off more than a mm or two so by doing it frequently, there is never too much to snip. We don't have ear issues so I can't help you there!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:01 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&D93 View Post
My yellow lab puppy is 8 months old & close to 80 lbs. I have to wrestle him down to get his nails to clipped and yes, I played with his feet all the time when he was little. I've tried treats but can't seem to get him to understand that it's OK.

And now he has an ear infection...it takes both my husband and I and ALL our strength to get the antiseptic cleaner in his ear not to mention the drops of medicine in the next couple of days (once the ears are good and clean).

I've never had this happen with any of my dogs over my life. I've always been able to groom, bath, clip hair, ears, nails etc., give medicine by mouth and even by injection.

My lab is a wonderfully sweet dog, he is basically mellow for his age. We've tried playing Frisbee with him until he is exhausted but that hasn't helped either. He finds the strength to wrestle back.

Any suggestions? I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to care for him the way I should be able to.

Our vet is small town country vet (LOVE HIM) but he leaves most procedures up to the owners.

Thanks if advance for your help.
Welcome to Labdom Frequent walks on concrete may help with the nails. As far as the eardrops goes, he obviously knows what's comming when you pin him down. Will he let you pin him down any other time or does he only get antsy when he sees the drops comming?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/pic06862.jpg (broken link)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/woody.jpg (broken link)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/IMG_0002.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs