Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,284 times

Advertisements

It takes a lot of training and effort to have your dog under voice control. It's possible and can be done, if you're willing to stick with it for the rest of the ownership of the dog. It's not only training, but it's also how much you and your dog bond together. How much respect your dog has for you, how much you and your dog trust each other, does your dog look up to you and see someone who can trust?? There is a special relationship must be established along with training for it to work.

However, depending on the breed, there is no 100% guarantee. Dogs with a lot of drive may not react to your command while preforming certain duties. Take police, army, SAR dogs, there are a lot of work goes into training of these dogs, but even they are not guaranteed full responce. Your best bet is to have your dog on the leash at all times, and only have him off when appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
It takes a lot of training and effort to have your dog under voice control. It's possible and can be done, if you're willing to stick with it for the rest of the ownership of the dog. It's not only training, but it's also how much you and your dog bond together. How much respect your dog has for you, how much you and your dog trust each other, does your dog look up to you and see someone who can trust?? There is a special relationship must be established along with training for it to work.

However, depending on the breed, there is no 100% guarantee. Dogs with a lot of drive may not react to your command while preforming certain duties. Take police, army, SAR dogs, there are a lot of work goes into training of these dogs, but even they are not guaranteed full responce. Your best bet is to have your dog on the leash at all times, and only have him off when appropriate.
I totally agree with your post. Training for voice command can be done.
And I echo your words, that it is something the owner needs to be willing to do for the rest of the ownership of the dog.
And I so agree with the respect each has for the other in order for it to all come together.

While my dog is not a police/army or SAR dog she is very well trained and has been in extensive on-going training since I've had her which has been for almost two years. She is very alert to voice commands since that is part of her training process.
And I plan on taking the time to keep her in training classes.

I think that may be the problem with some owners. They do not wish to take the time and give up or do not have the dog trained by a certified trainer.
Or people are misguided and think one session with a trainer is all they need??? No, it is an on-going process.

I am very confident to say that my dog in my presence will not go after another dog. It's called control the situation at all times. And I can't say enough good things about the Gentle Leader, which I have talked about many times on here.
Again, it goes back to that trust thing and extensive training. Can't emphasize that enough.

As far as dogs off leashes. I get so irritated when I see that. Most cities do have leash laws, which in my opinion need to be enforced or more cities need to pass that legislation and closing down dog parks would be another good idea.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
The owner came out of the garage yelling to the dog to come, while I was trying, at the same time, to hold it by the collar away from my dog and pick my dog up off the ground. The dog paid no attention to his owner, and continued to bark and snapping even after the owner grabbed its collar.

We do have a leash law here, but I guess the owner assumed that he was in control of his dog. Which leads me to wonder, how do you know if your dog is under complete voice control?

First, I'm glad your dog is OK.
And the other owner had no control over his dog. A dog should not need to be yelled at IF trained properly. I would be willing to bet this guys dog had no training. And obviously that word respect was not there if the dog was barking and snapping in the presence of the owner? No. Totally not a properly trained dog.
The fact that he was out of his own yard shows where the owner failed on so many levels.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,622 times
i think chows have a bad rep for being agressive. there are just certain breeds that you really need to be careful to try to avoid. i am sorry that this happened. it is so frightening isnt it. you get so caught up in the moment of it that you do whatever comes to you instictively. it is rather ridiculous for normal people to be expected to know what to do and remain calm. unfortunately you cannot trust any animals so you just have to be extra vigilent when youre out with your mini pin. i hope your irresponsible neighbor apologized up and down to you. it's a shame that he may never learn to follow the leash law so i would avoid walking near his house.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:14 PM

115 posts, read 471,281 times
Man those owners should keep their dang dogs on a leash!!!

Hope your doggie is doing fine (no signs of fear etc.).

*Claudia*

Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i think chows have a bad rep for being agressive.
Chows, though beautiful dogs, are a fighting breed and are known for being one-person dogs. A Chow Chow is one of the breeds where good socialization and training is imperative, otherwise you can have a problematic dog on your hands .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs