U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:33 PM

960 posts, read 1,358,331 times

Advertisements

How do people know if their dog is under voice command? Is there a certification or specific training that guarantees that the dog will listen?

I ask because I took my Min Pin out for a walk earlier this evening and my dog got attacked. My dog is fine, thank goodness, but I really am ticked off about it.

We have met this dog with his "grandparents" on a few walks previously and the dog has displayed aggression toward mine. We have seen the actual dog owner call in his dog in from the yard when he has seen us walking toward his home.

However, tonight my dog suddenly froze on the sidewalk and this big Chow mix looking dog charged out of the open garage and jumped on top of my dog. My Min Pin has cataracts, so I don't think she knew what hit her. The owner came out of the garage yelling to the dog to come, while I was trying, at the same time, to hold it by the collar away from my dog and pick my dog up off the ground. The dog paid no attention to his owner, and continued to bark and snapping even after the owner grabbed its collar.

I could spew bullets now, but I was in such shock I just grabbed my girl and checked to see if there was any blood. We do have a leash law here, but I guess the owner assumed that he was in control of his dog. Which leads me to wonder, how do you know if your dog is under complete voice control?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 PM

768 posts, read 1,928,416 times
I don't know that there is such a thing as a guarantee of "voice control." Personally, while I feel that I know my dogs well, I don't allow them to be loose in the neighborhood. They are in my fenced yard or they are on a leash. I've always been that way, because there is no telling what will happen when two dogs, or more, meet. And who can guarantee that their dog will listen to them regardless of any other external stimuli? Obviously this guy can't.

Is your dog okay?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:22 PM

12,432 posts, read 31,476,724 times
That dog was not under ANY control...if you have a leash law in your area
I would advise you to report the owners & dog.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,508,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
I don't know that there is such a thing as a guarantee of "voice control." Personally, while I feel that I know my dogs well, I don't allow them to be loose in the neighborhood. They are in my fenced yard or they are on a leash. I've always been that way, because there is no telling what will happen when two dogs, or more, meet. And who can guarantee that their dog will listen to them regardless of any other external stimuli? Obviously this guy can't.

Is your dog okay?
I agree! I think you can train and train and train for voice control(like us!), but in the end a dog is just a dog and not perfect! ..except Cody of course

Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 PM

960 posts, read 1,358,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post

Is your dog okay?
Thank you for asking. She's doing fine. No puncture marks. Just a short-lived seizure after the incident, which frequently happen to her during or after a lot of stimulation.

Last edited by Carbondated; 10-27-2007 at 10:03 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,214,929 times
The only way to know if a dog is under voice command control is if they ALWAYS obey the owner's commands. If not, they aren't.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 AM

389 posts, read 3,292,091 times
[quote=Carbondated;1847719]How do people know if their dog is under voice command?

Common sense Unfortunately people assume that their dog will never harm anyone/anything and that the dog will listen to them in a situation like that. We have a neighbor who ties their dog up in their garage on a rope that reaches well out into the street, so when I walk my boys, this dog comes barking, charging out of the garage. Luckily, I know where he's at and we make sure to walk on the opposite side of the street. My mom walks her dog 6 miles every day and almost daily she has a situation like that where a dog comes running at them while the stupid owner watches and does nothing!

People are so frustrating aren't they?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,469,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
How do people know if their dog is under voice command? Is there a certification or specific training that guarantees that the dog will listen?

I ask because I took my Min Pin out for a walk earlier this evening and my dog got attacked. My dog is fine, thank goodness, but I really am ticked off about it.

We have met this dog with his "grandparents" on a few walks previously and the dog has displayed aggression toward mine. We have seen the actual dog owner call in his dog in from the yard when he has seen us walking toward his home.

However, tonight my dog suddenly froze on the sidewalk and this big Chow mix looking dog charged out of the open garage and jumped on top of my dog. My Min Pin has cataracts, so I don't think she knew what hit her. The owner came out of the garage yelling to the dog to come, while I was trying, at the same time, to hold it by the collar away from my dog and pick my dog up off the ground. The dog paid no attention to his owner, and continued to bark and snapping even after the owner grabbed its collar.

I could spew bullets now, but I was in such shock I just grabbed my girl and checked to see if there was any blood. We do have a leash law here, but I guess the owner assumed that he was in control of his dog. Which leads me to wonder, how do you know if your dog is under complete voice control?
I don't really know? In my opinion, no dog can really be under full voice control. Even the most well trained and obedient dogs can attack people or animals and the whole voice control thing will just go right out the window! Unless you are in physical control of your dog, your not in control at all. And in my opinion, people that assume that they are in full control of their dog simply because their dog is well trained and obedient, or because they have "voice control" of their dog, are living with blinders on. Dogs are animals and they have natural instincts. All three of our dogs are absolute sweet hearts. They have never met a person they didn't like and they get along wonderfully with other dogs, and even cats! lol! Our dogs have been well trained and socialized and they are very obedient, but, whether we had leash laws or not, I would never allow my dogs to be outside without being on a leash! If nothing else, for their own safety! Our dogs are great, but they are still dogs. I would never ever risk having a person, an animal or one of my own dogs getting hurt because I feel that I have enough control over my dogs to not have to leash them! Any responsible, respectful pet owner would leash their dog, whether they had to or not.

We had a similar thing happen to us! My husband was walking our male APBT, Brooklyn, and as they were walking up our driveway, coming home from the walk, one of our neighbors huge Lab/ Shepherd mixes ran into our yard and attacked Brooklyn! Brooklyn is an average sized APBT, he's 48 pounds and only come up to my knees, and this other dog is at least 80 pounds and much taller than Brooklyn. None of our dogs are aggressive, they are lovers not fighters! lol! And Brooklyn was leashed, where as the other dog wasn't, as usual! My husband got the dog off of Brooklyn a couple times, but as soon as he got him off the dog went after Brooklyn again! Finally, the neighbor came to get his dog, but it still took several tries and two people to get this dog off of Brooklyn! In the end Brooklyn has some holes in his head where that dog had bit him and the other dog got away without a scratch! Brooklyn wasn't really hurt, nothing was very bad, but I was so upset that he had to go through that!

Old 10-28-2007, 03:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,752,725 times
My husband has been bitten more times by unleashed dogs than I care to remember. He's a jogger so dogs just go for him.

The last time was in a public park where dogs were prohibited but this was not enforced. He had a big bite mark/bruise on his leg. I was fuming. I told him he should have reported this incident to the 'security' and demanded the owner give him her name and number. I'm not sue happy but I think he should have done it or at least had the owner reported for breaking the law.

I don't understand how people think they have total control over their dogs. Dogs are wild animals and you never know what will trigger this 'chasing' response. They belong on a leash if playing/walking in a public place. I keep my pepper spray ready if a dog were to attack me. I hope I never have to use it. However, in our public park, dogs are ALWAYS off the leash. Today I was on my bike just sort of riding in the park and this dog bounded out of the car and was in the middle of the park. The owner kept calling the dog but the dog sat there/kept looking over at me (I stopped riding as not to be a target). The dog finally decided to go to his owner and I rode off.

What about people who have no idea 'what to do' in dog related situations?

Do you think they have the right to sue if a dog bites them?

PS Sorry to hear about the OP's dog.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 AM

52 posts, read 47,767 times
Voice Control is a great way to train a dog but certain breeds just can not be trusted to not go after other dogs so I firmly believe that all dogs should be on a leash if not for your sake for the sake of the dog owner and dog, But what if your dog is off leash and goes up to a dog that is on a leash and gets hurt whose fault is it some breeds can cause more injury than others the bottom line the idiot that's dog was off leash and attacked your dog should be reported as for the ones that bit the man jogging, Those people are not good owners and there is no good reason for any dog being off leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or