Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 AM

439 posts, read 958,145 times

Advertisements

Morning...my one dog has bladder cancer already and I am very concerned to continue to give her the toxic Spot On Flea treatments including Front Line that might of contributed to her problem. She is my second dog to get cancer. Reading a holistic dog book and non toxic alternatives I came across Diatomaceous Earth as an excellent pest eradicator. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff...I understand it is rather messy and requires wearing a mask as it is a dust. Also if you applied it to your yard...how did you do that.... I see some folks using a sprayer but that means mixing with water. Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Yes, good for controlling fleas, ticks, and other pests. I know someone will come up with a link for you, but I'm at work and can't do a proper search.

It MUST BE food grade DE. DO NOT USE the kind for swimming pools! You can apply it directly on your dog and his bedding, any other place your dog occupies. If your dog gets wet, you'll need to reapply.

i found it at a local pet store. You can also order on-line. Remember, it MUST BE FOOD GRADE.

I'm sure someone will reply with better info for you.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Yes, good for controlling fleas, ticks, and other pests. I know someone will come up with a link for you, but I'm at work and can't do a proper search.

It MUST BE food grade DE. DO NOT USE the kind for swimming pools! You can apply it directly on your dog and his bedding, any other place your dog occupies. If your dog gets wet, you'll need to reapply.

i found it at a local pet store. You can also order on-line. Remember, it MUST BE FOOD GRADE.

I'm sure someone will reply with better info for you.
I've heard it's good for fleas, but never seen evidence that it protects from ticks at all.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I've heard it's good for fleas, but never seen evidence that it protects from ticks at all.
Ticks are a heartier pest, so it may not be effective. I'd have to look it up to see how effective it may/may note be.

DE does not work as an insectidice. It basically slices up the pest so it loses its fluids... essentially dehydrating itself to death.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
This pistol is pretty handy for applying it without making a big mess.

Amazon.com: Pest Pistol Mini Duster: Beauty

Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
We are putting it in our dog's food to prevent parasites. We have been told to just sprinkle a little bit around the neck and the bum to prevent fleas. Thankfully we have very few ticks around here. I really hate ticks big time. When my wife and I were on the road in the USA I experienced just how bad ticks can be. Like 30 to 40 freakin ticks on your dog after a 5 minute run on grass at a rest area. I got so paranoid that in the tick states I would not take the dogs off the pavement. My miniture schnauzer may he RIP got lyme twice in one year.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
I have it, lots of uses for it, so I bought several pounds. As for using it on the dogs, I don't like it, it creates clouds of dust that I don't think is wise for us or the dogs to breathe. I would suggest looking into essential oils instead. Get some eucalyptus, lemongrass, lavender, or a synergy like Bug Off, which actually smells wonderful. It doesn't take much to repel, and make the bugs look elsewhere. You have to reapply it often. Do some research.
I use no chemicals. If they get a tick, we pull it, squash it with a rock, and put some neosporin on the spot. It's not that big a deal.

Another thing about DE is that it can kill the good bugs too, keep that in mind, if you choose to spread it in your yard.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I just ordered 10lbs of DE to use on my rug. I had a really bad flea infestation last year, and I've already had a few jumping on me. The cats are going to the groomers next week for flea baths, and I'm taking all bedding to the laundromat, The carpet will be treated with DE in advance.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
If they get a tick, we pull it, squash it with a rock, and put some neosporin on the spot. It's not that big a deal.
Yes, you are correct, it isn't a big deal for you in Northern California. But for those of us on the East Coast or Great Lakes area, where Lyme Disease and tick infestations are rampant, that isn't a safe option. It would be cruel to our dogs to not provide some form of protection. In these areas, your dog may not get one tick, but come back inside with 30.

CDC - Interactive Maps - Lyme Disease

Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
DE is great, however, it has a jagged crystaline structure and should not be inhaled into lungs. Reminds me of asbestos.

I pretty much stopped using it because of this. If I have to use it on insects in the garden, I wear a very secure breathing mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs