Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

Pit bull attack on girl would have been worse if not for heroic chihuahua

I'm putting this up here because I really believe chihuahuas are an under appreciated breed. Ironically, people (broadly speaking) spend more time sticking up for pit bulls (seen as underdogs) than they do chihuahuas who have earned their place close to humans with more time spent historically as companions.

Sure they can be yappy and want to make their own decisions like cats do, but IMO they are the funniest, most courageous dogs going. They live long lives, are low maintenance and no two are exactly alike (unlike alot of generic breeds). And too small? No problem, get a chi-mixed with something bigger and you keep all the quirky benefits and get more functionality.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 36,018 times
I got sad when I read that last line. What a difficult decision to make. I mean, I don't blame her, it had to happen but it must have been hard to do that.

Yeah small dogs do have a bad rep. I'm an honest believer that its the training, not the breed. I have a pom and hes not yappy or nippy or any of those "small breed" traits that people hate.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,963 times
The problem with small dogs isn't the dog, it's usually the owners. They excuse bad behaviors because "oh look how cute they are" etc. My cousin has a chihuahua that is the most well behaved dog I've ever seen, but she is a bit yappy at times.

It's the training, for sure, but there are some dogs that are just wired wrong. Maybe they were inbred or whatever, but they just aren't right. ANY dog, large or small, that exhibits true human aggression (not including dogs trained to bite, like working dogs, that isn't human aggression) should be euthanized, IMO. And I'm not counting fear aggressive or an other thing. I'm speaking of truly human aggressive dogs, which apparently this dog was and it was known by the owner to be such. Sad for all involved.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM

538 posts, read 1,012,569 times
My parents had two Chihuahuas in the past and both would run off large breed dogs out of the yard. It was so damn funny watching them do it. I wish have gotten some video of them actually doing it.

They were fire crackers. I miss them. I have a Doberman now and really want a smaller friend for him. Love these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGgbuLVoJ8Y

Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp_9712 View Post
I got sad when I read that last line. What a difficult decision to make. I mean, I don't blame her, it had to happen but it must have been hard to do that.

Yeah small dogs do have a bad rep. I'm an honest believer that its the training, not the breed. I have a pom and hes not yappy or nippy or any of those "small breed" traits that people hate.
It was the small breed that saved this little girl. It was the Pit that attacked the little girl.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I recently ended up with an old Pom (15?) with two teeth. Never had a little dog before, but he is just the cutest thing, and very sturdy in his temperment, running around the yard, dodging the big dogs, alert and adorable. Yes, he wants to bite me, but only had two teeth. Not sure what his earlier life was with a reclusive alcoholic man, but he does like to be carried and held- just not petted. Moofie!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
the little guys have NO idea how tiny they realy are...

Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 PM

538 posts, read 1,012,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
That's what makes them badass lol.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
Was just gonna say that.

They don't know their own size... I just got my 2nd Chihuahua and I have no doubt she will be as fearless as the first.

BTW... a prime example...

Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp_9712 View Post
If your dog hurts a kid that bad.....dog has to go! Tough decision but that kid's life has been changed forever and if they continue to be neighbors then the dog would freak that kid out every time she saw/heard it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs