U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 PM

6,241 posts, read 4,650,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp_9712 View Post
So my husband and I bought an apartment recently. The building is two stories, doors on the outside. On the left side there are four doors (different apartments) and there are four on the right side. We live on the left side which is right next to a fenced nature preservation. The mailbox is next to the sidewalk a little ways past the building and the dumpster is across the parking lot from the mailbox.

The neighbor that lives in the apartment that is right next to the sidewalk on the right side has a terrier that had been 'saved' from a dog fighting ring. He is missing one of his legs due to a dog fight. This dog is really friendly to humans.

We decided to get a Pomeranian puppy. This dog is the absolute sweetest dog I've ever owned. He LOVES other dogs and people, feels indifferent towards cats. Well my neighbors terrier would bark and growl and go nuts anytime I decided to walk anywhere with my dog (of coarse I can bring him to the little piece of grass in front of my door to use the bathroom. and he would never be the wiser) well the point is that I HAVE to walk past her apartment anytime I go to the mail or the dumpster (to throw away poo). And at first I thought well maybe the dog is just barking because my dog is unfamiliar. So we tried to slowly introduce the dogs. (we were both holding the dogs just out of reach, I turned my dog around so the he could get the smell) well she let go of her dog and he bit my dog. I took equal responsibility since it was my idea to do this.
(BG info- She found out I got my dog from a pet store and disagrees with my choice)
Well then she starts to let this dog run around the complex when she is outside off of a leash. The first time it happened I pulled my dog up and her dog attacked another dog that he is normally fine with (it was bad I thought he was going to kill the other dog).
I figured that after that horrible incident she would keep her dog on a leash.
It happened again and I told her to put her dog on a leash- I should be able to check my mail and walk to the dumpster and take my dog on walks with out fear of attack. She lied and at first said he was in the car and got out of the car then later said that he was on a leash and got off of the leash. Then she got all dramatic and was like fine I just wont ever let my dog outside ever again. You can have ALL this space. Its yours. He will just stay locked up inside! (even though all I asked for was a leash)
Then it happened again when I was throwing away some poo. I got charged by her dog and just shook my head and called the residential manager to make a complaint.
It stopped for a while but now its happened AGAIN and I called the residential manager and told him that if it happens again I'm calling animal control.

So my question is how do you deal with people like this? She's turned all the neighbors against me, she refuses to listen to reason and she refuses to put her former dog fighting dog on a leash.
I wouldn't care about her dog free roaming if he wasn't aggressive, but for gods sake I have to protect my dog. I don't want my dog to become aggressive because he's being attacked. I really don't want to call the authorities but at this point I feel like its my only option. What do you guys think I should do?

(Just so you know when my dog is attacked he doesn't fight back, he just whimpers. Its really sad. But I know if it becomes a continuous thing he will eventually attack back and I don't want that.)
It's really simple, video record her dog off leash outside her apartment with a camera or phone and tell her if she doesn't put her dog on a leash, you will be contacting animal control and informing police of the situation. When it is your dog's life on the line, I wouldn't take any chances.

If she has any brains, you'll never actually have to inform animal control or the police. She should take your threat very seriously once she knows you have a video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM

8,239 posts, read 6,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Your apartment complex probably has a rule about having the dog on a leash, either in the lease or the pet addendum. If the manager isn't willing to enforce it, you could go above the manager to the corporate office.

Some people would have already called animal control the first time their dog was bitten. I think you would be justified in calling if your dog is attacked again.

It doesn't sound like your neighbor is responsible or reasonable. There's no telling how upset she will get if you call animal control or get the apartment complex to enforce their leash rule, assuming they have one. It's not a lot of fun to live in the same building with someone who hates you...sometimes bad things happen to your car, your doormat, etc. I've been in that situation before (not because of a dog, because I quit babysitting for free). Anyhow, it might make more sense to carry your dog in your arms when you're going to the mail or the dumpster, if you're taking him with you. Put him down to walk once you're sure the other dog isn't outside. It's inconvenient and you shouldn't have to do it, but you're going to find some arrangement that keeps your dog safe while you have that neighbor.
I wouldn't wait, I'd call and report that her dog has already attacked two dogs and the owner does not keep it leashed. Next time might be even worse if it attacks a dog.
This neighbor is escalating the situation allowing a dog to roam freely knowing it is that aggressive. I'd be livid!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 4,818,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp_9712 View Post
So my husband and I bought an apartment recently. The building is two stories, doors on the outside. On the left side there are four doors (different apartments) and there are four on the right side. We live on the left side which is right next to a fenced nature preservation. The mailbox is next to the sidewalk a little ways past the building and the dumpster is across the parking lot from the mailbox.

The neighbor that lives in the apartment that is right next to the sidewalk on the right side has a terrier that had been 'saved' from a dog fighting ring. He is missing one of his legs due to a dog fight. This dog is really friendly to humans.

We decided to get a Pomeranian puppy. This dog is the absolute sweetest dog I've ever owned. He LOVES other dogs and people, feels indifferent towards cats. Well my neighbors terrier would bark and growl and go nuts anytime I decided to walk anywhere with my dog (of coarse I can bring him to the little piece of grass in front of my door to use the bathroom. and he would never be the wiser) well the point is that I HAVE to walk past her apartment anytime I go to the mail or the dumpster (to throw away poo). And at first I thought well maybe the dog is just barking because my dog is unfamiliar. So we tried to slowly introduce the dogs. (we were both holding the dogs just out of reach, I turned my dog around so the he could get the smell) well she let go of her dog and he bit my dog. I took equal responsibility since it was my idea to do this.
(BG info- She found out I got my dog from a pet store and disagrees with my choice)
Well then she starts to let this dog run around the complex when she is outside off of a leash. The first time it happened I pulled my dog up and her dog attacked another dog that he is normally fine with (it was bad I thought he was going to kill the other dog).
I figured that after that horrible incident she would keep her dog on a leash.
It happened again and I told her to put her dog on a leash- I should be able to check my mail and walk to the dumpster and take my dog on walks with out fear of attack. She lied and at first said he was in the car and got out of the car then later said that he was on a leash and got off of the leash. Then she got all dramatic and was like fine I just wont ever let my dog outside ever again. You can have ALL this space. Its yours. He will just stay locked up inside! (even though all I asked for was a leash)
Then it happened again when I was throwing away some poo. I got charged by her dog and just shook my head and called the residential manager to make a complaint.
It stopped for a while but now its happened AGAIN and I called the residential manager and told him that if it happens again I'm calling animal control.

So my question is how do you deal with people like this? She's turned all the neighbors against me, she refuses to listen to reason and she refuses to put her former dog fighting dog on a leash.
I wouldn't care about her dog free roaming if he wasn't aggressive, but for gods sake I have to protect my dog. I don't want my dog to become aggressive because he's being attacked. I really don't want to call the authorities but at this point I feel like its my only option. What do you guys think I should do?

(Just so you know when my dog is attacked he doesn't fight back, he just whimpers. Its really sad. But I know if it becomes a continuous thing he will eventually attack back and I don't want that.)

Her terrier is dog aggressive, and she should have him on a leash at all times when he is outside. It's a simple fix. My dog is also dog aggressive. It came from being attacked repeatedly by unleashed dogs. He was fine with other dogs before that. It's a fear response. I recognize that and I leash him when I take him for a walk.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM

5,053 posts, read 3,081,975 times
At this point I would call animal control. You've asked her to leash the dog and she refuses.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM

8,239 posts, read 6,634,523 times
I would carry pepper spray, or something that will target this dog when he lunges at you. It's called behavior modification. He'll stop coming after you.
How big is this dog? What breed is he?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM

1,972 posts, read 976,393 times
If your neighbor rescued this dog from the spca or humane society I am surprised they did not check for other dog aggression, which is common in fighting dogs. If she rescued it on her own, she needs to understand her dog isn't safe to be around other dogs and keep him leashed. The fact that he is 3-legged is probably helping him gain pity from your neighbors who you say are now against you in this matter.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM

9,436 posts, read 4,304,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Her terrier is dog aggressive, and she should have him on a leash at all times when he is outside. It's a simple fix. My dog is also dog aggressive. It came from being attacked repeatedly by unleashed dogs. He was fine with other dogs before that. It's a fear response. I recognize that and I leash him when I take him for a walk.
That's what happened to my Ringo! He was a friendly pup but got pounced twice by neighborhood dogs and now he absolutely does not like other dogs. He especially hates other males or large dogs.

I do have to be aware of this and he is leashed at all times when we go for a walk; otherwise, he is in our fenced yard.

Your neighbor's dog has probably been ruined as far as being friendly with other dogs (through no fault of his own) but your neighbor needs to recognize this and take the appropriate steps. It's not fair to him OR to anyone else to allow him to pounce other dogs who are on leash.

I would be very careful; you don't want your pup to be attacked. I would continue to report until the situation is corrected.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 7,318 times
Yeah I called my residential manager and let him know that if it happens again I'm calling animal control and for him to make sure she understands this and so today she came by my house a little bit before when my husband normally gets home and said that basically that her dog is okay with some of the other dogs that live around here, so the neighbors are all on her side, and that my husband is always letting my dog walk off the leash (she said this multiple time "ask your husband or any of these neighbors, your dog is ALWAYS off of a leash"). She didn't realize that A) Im always home when my husband is so I know for a FACT that he does not do this and B) my husband had the day off and was just out of her eye sight listening in. I just turned to him and asked "Ben, do you let the dog walk off of the leash?". Now there has been a few times where he has dropped the leash and the dog ran off (always caught with in 5 seconds, this is PURELY accidental and has only happened a few times. Should be evident that it was an accident when he still has his leash on and we are running after him yelling his name ( and for my husband profanities- WE KNOW THIS DOESN'T HELP.... he just gets frustrated). Then she said all the neighbors are on her side and shes owned a dog longer then I have (Um excuse me, you don't know S*** about me or my husband. ALL you know is that recently we got a dog. You don't know how many dogs we have owned in the past). I said well its hawaiin law to keep your dog on a leash so the law is on my side. She looked kind of suprised and called me prejediuce because I said Hawaiin law and not federal law. Its not a federal law.... its a state law. She then said something about him being certified with the American blah blah ( IDK the title). Well obviously your dog doesn't deserve that certification. He is constantly running away and attacking my dog. She tried to blame me for it for when I first moved in when her dog was barking at my dog all the time (I didn't realize how bad it was at this point) and I said we should try to socialize them and we did try and the dog bit my dog. She said she knew better and its all my fault and blah blah blah. Well if you KNEW it wouldn't work then why the HELL didn't you say anything?
She also said that her dog is missing a few of his front teeth so it should be okay if he bites my dog (UMM what?) and also I'm being overly protective ( ... because I don't want my dog attacked) and that this is how dogs socialize. If you think that THIS is how dogs socialize you have issues. My dog has met a hell of a ton of dogs other then yours and not a damn one of them acts like yours. Some of them are friendly, some give a warning growl (which we respect and leave alone) but not a damn one of them just randomly runs up to him and attacks him like yours does.
I tried to tell her I don't want my dog to become aggressive because hes constantly being attacked by your dog and she said that it doesn't work that way. Only dogs that are abused are aggressive. Yeah she apparently doesn't know **** about dogs.
THEN she said its part of his training to let him run around off of a leash and I should let my dog off of a leash to (I thought you said I already do that or excuse me my husband does that or have you forgotten?)

Then she said that her leash is broken and she just realized it today. If your dog has gotten off of the leash more then 5 times, your not just realizing it. She got super offended when I said 'well buy a new one, they are like $5.' Apparently me saying that is implying she cant afford it. IDK how that implies that shes broke but what ever.

So basically she said 'My dogs going to be off of a leash and your just going to have to learn to deal with it" well not basically ... she out right said that. Its a direct quote.

SO next time I take my dog out I am A) going to have my phone on me to get photo evidence (apparently I'll also have to take a pic of my dog on a leash because she heavily implied that she and the neighbors will tell the authorities that my dog was off of a leash and hers was on a leash) and B) I am immediately calling animal control. I tried being nice about it but she is going to come to my door step try to tell me lies about MY husband to get us into a fight and tell me I am SOL she can go F her self. I'm not putting up with this.

OH and for good measure she told me I need to train my dog to bark when people walk by my apartment because he is a dog and he has to bark.
My dog is naturally a quiet dog. When he is playing I allow him to bark but it is NOT okay for him to bark every single time someone walks by. I think that she is trying to get neighbors to complain about my dog so that she can throw that out there if I call the authorities. Nobody has EVER complained about my dog.

I'm really upset right now. People these days have some nerve, I swear.

OH and the questions
a neighbor gave her the dog.
Her dog give NO warning when he is about to attack. When I walk by her place he goes ape **** when he is inside or when we walk by and he is actually on a leash but when he is off a leash the attacks are just random. No barking no growling just straight up attack. He tried to pin my dog down and bite his neck. (I guess I'm lucky he is missing teeth then)
Most of the time he doesn't have the chance because I grab my dog up.

Dog fighting is a serious issue on this island and when you go to the pound it is 90% full grown pit bulls. I have nothing against pit bulls but when I know that there is an issue with dog fighting I am not going to risk adopting a former fighter. If that makes me a bad person then I'm a bad person. The other 10% have serious medical conditions. I wasn't going to get a dog from the pet shop, I wondered into one randomly and found him. I know people disagree but it is what it is. This dog was in a tiny cage standing in his own pee. I had to take him back to the shop to get a shot a few weeks after we got him and he was shaking out of fear. I do not feel guilty for adopting him instead of a dog that needed it more.

both of our dogs are small breed. I think that he doesn't attack the other neighbors dogs because A) their dog is MUCH bigger then ours and B) their dog avoids him like the PLAGUE. I think hes scared of the aggressive dog. The difference is that her dog lets that dog walk away. With my dog he runs to us to confront him. I'm so very happy for the neighbors that don't have to worry about their dog being attacks. GOOD FOR YOU. I don't understand why they feel it is okay for my dog to be attacked as long as theirs isn't. I guess I don't know that for sure. I haven't spoken with them.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 AM

844 posts, read 966,119 times
While buying from a pet store was not a good choice it has nothing to do with your neighbor's irresponsibility. She has a dog know to be dog aggressive and it is her responsibility (morally and legally) to make sure her dog is under absolute control at all times.

At any time you see her dog unleashed outside, call your management and call animal control. If they won't do anything start calling the police and filing a report (assuming there are leash laws). Never blame the dog, always put the responsibility on the owner.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:23 AM

737 posts, read 1,191,509 times
Well, guess you know that posting on the dog forum will get some negative feedback regarding your decision to "purchase" a pet versus a "donation" for saving a pet. Doesn't matter here, and that has been said. Glad you're a responsible pet owner and you've got a wonderful family member.

Regarding your neighbor and the rescue that came to her in whatever way it came, no matter. A tri-pod canine needs protection and leashing and proper control will help that pet to stay out of harm. Truly, a blind, tripod, or other canine that is without all of their faculties need their human's help to keep it safe.

Are you a Haole; if she isn't and you are, that might be the issue. Living on an island is much different than State-side and animal control or some other agency might take exception. Sorry, but true. She's adopted a bait dog and you purchased a dog; simple and simple-minded, I know. Sadly, that is the way of the islands.

Please post back to let everyone know what eventually happens. Sorry you have to go through this and even more sorry for your new family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs