Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 10,738 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm new to this thread and need some help. My bf and I recently bought a min pin, Ace. He is 11 wks old and we have been trying to potty train him and gain the alpha position in the household. From our readings, we have found that min pins are very stubborn. Ace is a cute little guy who has lots of love with lots of mischief. Ace got in trouble the other day, and my bf was the enforcer. Now he is mad at my bf and will not even look at him, and he is normal with me. Many times it seems as he knows what he is doing is wrong because he has been told "No" so many times, however, nothing stops him. When we verbally discipline him, he growls and gives a little bark. Everything we have read states that they are stubborn and we need to gain the alha position quickly. How do we do this and not make him mad? Also, how can my bf get on his good side again? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:28 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,212,661 times
Exactly what did your bf do when he was the "enforcer"? I'm not suggesting anything, just needing to know more about how he handled it.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 AM

960 posts, read 1,677,288 times
Like cleosmom (post above), I would also like to know how your boyfriend handled the "enforcer" role.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Sorry, maybe "enforcer" wasn't the correct word. I didn't intend to give anyone the wrong idea. My bf would tell him no when he was doing something wrong--like biting. He was also the one monitoring his potty training by taking him to the potty pad when he had an accident. I, on the other hand, pretty much stayed out of it because I didn't think it would be effective for both of us telling him what to do. Today, Ace is back to normal. Yesterday he wouldn't look at my bf, and today he wouldn't leave his side. We did read that min pins are temperemental. We love our little guy and can't wait until he starts exhibiting some of the funny traits we have read about.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,212,661 times
Two words; Puppy Kindergarten! I think that would be the best thing possible. Both you the owners and Ace would benefit and Ace will have the chance to be in a social environment with other dogs which I feel is needed.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,257,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_Ace View Post
Sorry, maybe "enforcer" wasn't the correct word. I didn't intend to give anyone the wrong idea. My bf would tell him no when he was doing something wrong--like biting. He was also the one monitoring his potty training by taking him to the potty pad when he had an accident. I, on the other hand, pretty much stayed out of it because I didn't think it would be effective for both of us telling him what to do. Today, Ace is back to normal. Yesterday he wouldn't look at my bf, and today he wouldn't leave his side. We did read that min pins are temperemental. We love our little guy and can't wait until he starts exhibiting some of the funny traits we have read about.
I'm gonna disagree and say both of you need to take a role in training, otherwise when your bf is gone your in a pickle.
We did basic obedience w/ Cody w/ both of us asking for things. H listens to both of us.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 AM

It's funny, but when my Min Pin upsets my husband by doing something wrong, she cuddles up to him, as if to beg his forgiveness.
I think the "stubborness" is easily overcome with patience, lots of positive reinforcement and early training classes. Get your puppie enrolled soon. The last thing you want to do with a Min Pin is instill any kind of fear. It makes for a defensive dog, and that will lead to fear biting and a less than happy disposition.
Min Pins are great dogs with a ton of character. Don't get overwhelmed by what you have read about the breed. Some other breeds share the stubborn and manipulative traits too and they are not admonished for it. A well trained Min Pin will make you laugh every day.

Last edited by Carbondated; 10-30-2007 at 08:13 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 AM

That's funny how he cuddles up to your husband. Ace does the same thing to me and my bf. We thought it was the cutest thing and so irresistable. He also whines to be picked up when it's time for his nap. We do plan to put him in puppy training classes and take him to the dog park after he has had all of his shots. Right now we are careful not to take him out. I have read many funny stories about min pins. We wouldn't have chosen any other breed.

Are there any specific treats that I can feed an 11 wk min pin? Most treats seem to be formulated for adult dogs.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 AM

I don't know of any puppy treats off hand. Min Pins can easily become obese. It's as if they forget they have eaten the minute they have finished their food. We don't give our dog any treats, since she was obese at 24 lbs. and is now down to a svelt 17 lbs.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,896,410 times
Remember the whole Alpha training concept implies that there is one leader - The Alpha. It is very difficult if not impossible to have that be a shared role. I think you'll have more success with training if just one of you takes on the training role and the other remains neutral. After a while, when Ace is a well-mannered guy he'll know the rules and will respond to both of you if you are consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs