U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 PM

145 posts, read 298,899 times

Advertisements

owners who leave big dogs lose and you are walking your smaller dog, what are the best ways to protect them? maybe they should come out with a product one can buy at a pet store like to spray their eyes or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 PM

17,921 posts, read 17,824,107 times
....have you heard of pepper spray?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM

4,714 posts, read 10,175,719 times
There is a citronella spray you can buy at many pet stores if I remember it is called Direct stop.

There is also now the can that makes a hissing noise like a snake that is supposed to stop a dog from what ever it is doing. But I do not know the name of that product.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 AM

15,159 posts, read 13,420,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
There is a citronella spray you can buy at many pet stores if I remember it is called Direct stop.

There is also now the can that makes a hissing noise like a snake that is supposed to stop a dog from what ever it is doing. But I do not know the name of that product.
I don't know about that specific product.....but I do know that the sound a stun gun makes always scared my dogs and cats......no need to actually use it......just press the trigger for the crackling sound it makes.

{No, I was not planning on using it on my pets, I just bought one for protection years ago and when I tried it out.....the noise it made scared them all. }

Old 04-13-2013, 06:11 AM

2,967 posts, read 4,185,249 times
I would probably use a stun gun. Too much chance of a spray blowing back onto me or my dog.

Only problem is that a stun gun would only encourage certain breeds or mixes to attack harder - such as a Pit with a lot of tenacity.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 AM

4,659 posts, read 15,775,199 times
First suggestion is to be using a leash no longer than 6 foot so you have control of your little one. Nothing worse than being on one of those retractable leads and you not being able to get to the little one before the larger one can cause damage.

Also getting into your command mode helps. More than once I was able to say "NO, GO HOME" and they would often turn tail. Once fear enters the scene, you have a lesser chance.

Sadly the only thing that is 100% full proof is people being responsible (keeping their pets contained), however there are days I feel world peace would be easier

Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM

43,546 posts, read 52,637,306 times
I had my baby and dog out once (my dog is not little, but I don't want my medium/big dog getting in a fight, either) and someone's big dog was running loose (ahole owner just stood there ignoring the whole scene and kept loading his truck in the driveway)...I stood in front of my baby and my dog, spread my feet apart in a strong stance, and said, "GO HOME!" in a deep, commanding voice. That dog turned right around and went back up the driveway. The guy must have heard, because he called the dog over and put him in the truck.

This is not a common occurrence here, but if it was, I'd a. report them and b. carry a stun baton.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,798,138 times
1: small dog walk on harness, this way if ou need to suddenly hoist your little dog UP and off the ground you can do so without having to get your face at oncomming dogs level!

2: a walking stick.
pepper spray, "halt" (a product specifially for stopping dogs) ect are GREAT< assuming the situation is controled, theres no wind ect..unfortunatly in the majority of cases howeve ryour frightend theres chaos and even a stiff breeze can mean pepper spray in your eyes, your dogs eyes and everywhere other than whereyouneed it same goes for citionella.
a stun gun can work...but a walking stick means youve got something long enough and large enough that you ca use form a relitivly safe distance if nessicary.

3: STAND TALL, most dog agressive dogs are not human agressive, make ourself large powerfull and intimidating by having good posture and say loud and firm NO or BACK OFF... even stomp the foot in the direction fo the dog keep moving confidently...its usually enough to throw off the agressor (assuming only dog agressive and not human agressive) using a weapon should be a last resort.

4: CALL ANIMAL CONTROL! there are leash law for a reason doesnt matter if your dog is the sweetest little thing in the universe...make a report that theres a loose dog and it tried to attack YOU and your dog. (there more likely to react for a dog thats potentially human agressive.)

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM

11,160 posts, read 20,451,301 times
Most of the people I see walking in my neighborhood carry a stick or a baseball bat. The cyclists carry pepper spray.

There are packs of strays that live in the fields around here.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM

145 posts, read 298,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
First suggestion is to be using a leash no longer than 6 foot so you have control of your little one. Nothing worse than being on one of those retractable leads and you not being able to get to the little one before the larger one can cause damage.

Also getting into your command mode helps. More than once I was able to say "NO, GO HOME" and they would often turn tail. Once fear enters the scene, you have a lesser chance.

Sadly the only thing that is 100% full proof is people being responsible (keeping their pets contained), however there are days I feel world peace would be easier

" No, Go Home, " hahahaha, like it's actually going to listen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or