Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Over the years, the universal skunk remedy has been widely accepted as the canned red stuff in your pantry. However, as reported in the Chicago Tribune several years ago, a chemist by the name of Paul Krebaum discovered what turns out to be the hands-down best solution for eliminating odor on dogs who have been skunked. You can still find the ingredients in your cupboards. And yes, it really works!

Hands-Down Best Solution for a Skunked Dog (and It's Not Tomato Juice) | Pets - Yahoo! Shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
I posted this formula somewhere on the forum after our dog was skunked. Works great...BUT keep in mind everytime the dog gets wet or humidity is high, the odor will be obvious. Takes about 8 weeks before it is totally gone.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:45 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I've used this mix for many years. The hydrogen peroxide is a key player in the mix for it is what eats away at the proteins that is the skunk spray.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Over the years, the universal skunk remedy has been widely accepted as the canned red stuff in your pantry. However, as reported in the Chicago Tribune several years ago, a chemist by the name of Paul Krebaum discovered what turns out to be the hands-down best solution for eliminating odor on dogs who have been skunked. You can still find the ingredients in your cupboards. And yes, it really works!

Hands-Down Best Solution for a Skunked Dog (and It's Not Tomato Juice) | Pets - Yahoo! Shine

Brings back memories of calling on Paul Krebaum at Molex, the company he worked for, back in the 80s.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
This mixture of H2O2, baking soda, and liquid soap is tried and true, but unfortunately it's no miracle. Skunk spray is powerful! When all four of my dogs were skunked last Fall, I used the formula described in the link and it did a good job of getting most of the smell out, then a week later I used Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover. Was very pleased with that product line - they make one solution for the dog's coat and another for any dog beds, blankets, etc. that the dogs skunked up. While the H2O2 - baking soda - liquid soap mix is effective, what's really needed is time in order to fully get rid of that horrible skunk smell. It takes a couple months for the last of it to fade.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
This mixture of H2O2, baking soda, and liquid soap is tried and true, but unfortunately it's no miracle. Skunk spray is powerful! When all four of my dogs were skunked last Fall, I used the formula described in the link and it did a good job of getting most of the smell out, then a week later I used Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover. Was very pleased with that product line - they make one solution for the dog's coat and another for any dog beds, blankets, etc. that the dogs skunked up. While the H2O2 - baking soda - liquid soap mix is effective, what's really needed is time in order to fully get rid of that horrible skunk smell. It takes a couple months for the last of it to fade.
True...that oily skunk spray will linger for weeks and weeks and weeks. No matter what you do!

I've used the "tried and true" recipe the OP linked to and it works OK, for sure.
I've also used Natures Miracle, which does a decent job but still, that smell lingers no matter what.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
This mixture worked like a charm last year when my guy got skunked. However, since the mixture is quite potent, it was suggested that I use douche on his head. Yup, that was an interesting trip to the drug store.

There was absolutely no residual scent of skunk.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
I also heard douche was good for de-skunking dog. Massengill in particular, but I don't know if that brand is made anymore.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post

Yes... the Nature's Miracle de-skunker works very very well.....

Bailey has been skunked once and Dave has been skunked twice......

Bailey was the first to get skunked and she took such a big hit of it, that some of the scent wafted on to Dave and he had a light smell of it..... dropped them both off at the groomers on our way home from the park and they spent the entire day there getting bathed in some sort of special cleansing shampoo..... it got most of the smell off of Bailey, but for weeks and weeks and weeks afterward, I could smell it around her face and neck when the weather was humid or she was wet..... I did not know about the Nature's Miacle at the time......

A few months later, Dave got skunked for the first time.... got them both home and completely soaked down the front half of his body (chest, legs, neck, shoulders, ribs) with the Nature's Miracle and could not believe how quickly and well it worked..... I had to wait until the evening to get his face completely done, but even after all those hours, it still worked......

after that little adventure, I now carry it in the trunk of my car..... which came in handy when he got skunked again last summer.....

now, Bailey's fur is much denser and she has an undercoat, as well.... Dave has more of a "lab coat" which is more repellant, so I don't know if that might have anything to do with it.... but he sure was a lot more sweet smellin' a lot faster with the Nature's Miracle........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs