U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,970,666 times

Advertisements

Abused Dog Runs Away From Home - Tails of Hope - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 PM

32 posts, read 55,955 times
Thanks for sharing. Emerson is adorable. I am a member of a rescue group and there is nothing better than adopting a rescue or shelter dog. I adopted my pup from a rescue. She was a pregnant stray and she is the best dog I could ever ask for.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
"To err is human. To forgive is canine"

Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 AM

857 posts, read 1,777,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post

Being in rescue,I see so many dogs like this.

Always so nice when someone WANTS a dog,to see them adopt.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:55 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,063,122 times
What an uplifting story. Emerson is an amazing little dog.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM

22,699 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Thank you for sharing. Not sure why people think rescues can't overcome their baggage. They are dogs. They are not human, they don't hold grudges. With patience, consistency and love, of course they can overcome their "baggage". Any one who says otherwise either has not rescued a dog and uses it as an excuse or was not patient.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,678,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thank you for sharing. Not sure why people think rescues can't overcome their baggage. They are dogs. They are not human, they don't hold grudges. With patience, consistency and love, of course they can overcome their "baggage". Any one who says otherwise either has not rescued a dog and uses it as an excuse or was not patient.
Yeah, some rescued dogs don't even know they're supposed to have "baggage." I have one that I adopted last year from a high kill, gas chamber-using shelter. He was on his last day before the gassing. According to the people at the shelter, he had been dumped three separate times there (only a 2 year old dog), and likely mistreated at least the last time, considering his shape and weight when he came in (very underweight, ragged, etc). All that inconsistency and abandonment, and when he came home with us, it was like he'd been there his whole life, from the moment he got into our car. Eager to please, perfectly house trained, gets along with all people, dogs, cats, and more. He's some sort of Sheltie-mix, and a better dog to deal with than any purebred Sheltie I've ever met.

He's the easiest dog I've ever owned, and that includes purebreds from champion lines who have received expensive professional training. I guess he didn't get the memo that he's supposed to be crazy and impossible to work with. He's not exactly an exception, either, both from extensive personal experience and more.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:40 PM

17,917 posts, read 17,818,949 times
I think every rescue dog can overcome their "baggage" however, it sometimes requires the right human. Someone with no dog experience or little patience shouldn't adopt a "yellow" or "red" case rescue dog. Volunteering at the local shelter opened my eyes and eventually led me to quit because I saw people bringing dogs back and now as policy we have to put it on their record that they were adopted and then returned, which turns off many potential adopters. I always tell people to check their shelters first when looking for a dog, but I also tell them you need to interact with the dog a few times before deciding because he/she may have behavioral issues that need to be worked out or re-trained. My last dog I adopted and she was the most wonderful and easiest to train girl ever. However, we also adopted another dog that was abused and left for dead that really no matter how much love we give and security, she is still a very tough case because of her background. She is lovely, but definitely wouldn't have lasted with an un-experienced owner.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:55 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,678,957 times
Inexperienced owners would really benefit from trying to adopt from places that use fosters whenever possible, which'll obviously vary depending on location. That way you can meet a dog that has had recent experience in a home, can find out how it realistically gets along with people, and possibly with children, other dogs, cats, etc. For some dogs, the shelter environment doesn't bring out their normal personality (and sometimes the shelter environment can make the dog seem more anxious than it would ever be in a normal environment, which works against the dog being adopted). But in general, some people want the dog right then, right now, and don't use all the options available to them. Sometimes shelters will let you spend a lot of time with them over a period of days, sometimes they'll let you go for walks to get outside the shelter environment, sometimes shelters have a wealth of information about the dog if people would only take the time to ask a lot of questions, etc. Potential owners who don't want to do their due diligence prior to adoption OR purchase shouldn't be getting a dog. It should never be a quick "transaction" whether from a breeder or shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or